PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-22-2012, 12:10 PM #1
Jimbo Jones

Jimbo Jones has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Buying New vs Used

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread or if this has been covered elsewhere, but regardless, I was wondering if someone with experience of buying new and used mid to high end markers could shed some light on a few things for me. Obviously there is a risk in buying used equipment as you have to trust that the seller/previous owner is telling you the whole story and has taken care of their equipment. My question is, do you still get any support from the manufacturer if you are not the original owner? How about used markers being sold with blank warranty cards to send in, if the marker hasn't been registered (assuming the owner didn't register the marker online for warranty), will the manufacturer assume you are the original owner?

I am mainly concerned with Planet Eclipse here as I am leaning toward buying an Etha or a used PE marker. I have heard wonderful things about their customer service, but if I buy used will I still get the same great service? I was playing this past Saturday and a guy at the field fell with his Ego and bent the frame. He was upset but said that PE would replace the frame free of charge. Would they do that for a second-hand owner? Do they do that for all their markers or just Egos/Geos? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any helpful insight you can provide.
Jimbo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2012, 01:00 PM #2
ccruz99
Naval Surface Warfare

ccruz99 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ccruz99 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ccruz99 supports DLX Technology
I bought an ego 06 early last year. PE doesn't support it any more & doesn't make parts for it. There is another company who still makes qevs for it though. I had some problems with it and one shop couldnt fix it & another shop did fix it. Solenoids are almost impossible to get, so I sold it and bought a newer ego 09. It looks & shoots like new & parts are much easier to get.

Personnaly I would not buy an expensive gun new, but would not buy something too old either.

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13

CURRENT GATS:
LUXE 2.0 Purple/Gold, Gold/Chrome Insight, Ego11 Regal 2, Victory Ripper Black/Lime, Invert Mini V3 Blue, BT TM7, Autococker System X Vengeance
ccruz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:14 PM #3
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I do not believe that PE will replace bent frames free of charge but I could be wrong. They are widely heralded as one of the leading CS companies in the business, especially at such a large scale. It is hard for any company to stock and shelve parts of guns going on 7 years old so the parts on older guns are harder to come by. The support is there, their tech are active on here and there are a lot of people willing to help out. There is a difference between support and warranty as well. Support should come regardless of what number owner of a gun you are, warranty generally only comes to the original owner. I had an 09 ego that I bought used earlier this year and I was missing a detent. I asked PE if they could get me one and they sent me an entire 09 spares bag like it would come NIB. So yes, most of the time buying used you will still get great support, especially from PE, but you will not get warranty.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 PM #4
Jimbo Jones

Thanks for the input so far guys. I'm a little less concerned about buying used now.

On a totally random side note, why do all new paintball markers come with barrels? Especially on mid to high end markers... most peopel buying a marker at this range already have a barrel/barrel kit that they swear by. The only reason I would want a barrel on a new marker would be for the anno to match the marker, but I would prefer to have the option to buy the marker only and add a matching barrel for an additional cost. And before anyone brings up... "Well for that matter, why include a reg, feedneck, asa, etc?". Because those aren't swapped out in 10 seconds and are less universal (almost everything uses cocker threads these days). Anyway, just venting.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 PM #5
bunkerking_13
SKNasty. Cole World.

bunkerking_13 supports Team VICIOUS
bunkerking_13 posts videos on PbNation
bunkerking_13 is Legendary
bunkerking_13 supports Empire
Thats why you hardly see "highend" barrels on many mid range guns. Most stock barrels shoot fine anyway. They are just ugly/heavy/short. I would recommend staying 07+. I have never bought a brand new marker.
bunkerking_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:47 PM #6
Zippin35

The barrels have nearly plateaued. They are all pretty similar and the barrels coming on high end guns, are high end barrels. Dye sends guns out with their UL barrel, the eclipse barrels now are very commendable. What is it you are looking for in another barrel that the ones coming with the gun do not offer? You could always just get a black gun and then the issue is resolved. The barrels also help with resale as most people, contrary to you, dont feel like buying a high end gun and still needing a barrel to use it.
New England Crusade #35
Old 08-22-2012, 02:04 PM #7
Jimbo Jones

I have a Freak barrel kit with cocker threads... I bought it years ago and I'm content with it. I'd be perfectly fine buying a marker without a barrel and using my Freak kit on it. If I were to buy a DP marker or an AXE, for example, I'd test the barrel out vs the Freak but I doubt I'd ever use it. That's at least a $20 item sitting collecting dust, filling a landfill, etc. A lot of people already have Ultralights or Shaft kits... that's at least $50 that could be taken off the price of the marker itself. Like I said... just me grumbling.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:08 PM #8
bunkerking_13
SKNasty. Cole World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Jones View Post
I have a Freak barrel kit with cocker threads... I bought it years ago and I'm content with it. I'd be perfectly fine buying a marker without a barrel and using my Freak kit on it. If I were to buy a DP marker or an AXE, for example, I'd test the barrel out vs the Freak but I doubt I'd ever use it. That's at least a $20 item sitting collecting dust, filling a landfill, etc. A lot of people already have Ultralights or Shaft kits... that's at least $50 that could be taken off the price of the marker itself. Like I said... just me grumbling.
Axe stock barrel is actually spot on.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:20 PM #9
Jimbo Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerking_13 View Post
Axe stock barrel is actually spot on.
For any size paint? Doubt it...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:50 AM #10
Zippin35

Well there are a few things to consider here. If you are looking to buy a gun that you will use and keep for a while, then you will be able to save a few bucks by searching for a gun for sale with no barrel. Then you can slap your freak on and away you go. If you may buy and sell it, you will get caught on the resale end of the same point. When you go to sell your gun it will be worth less, assuming you do not sell it with the freak barrel. So if you have a barrel, and are not looking to re-sell the gun then its a good idea.
New England Crusade #35
Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 AM #11
bunkerking_13
SKNasty. Cole World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Jones View Post
For any size paint? Doubt it...
The majority of paint is now small.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 AM #12
infamous4511
its j to the roc!

infamous4511 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
infamous4511 supports Team VICIOUS
infamous4511 supports DLX Technology
i bought a etek a couple years ago from nation and the noid went out pe gave me a discount on it and gave me a warranty for it even though i wasnt the original owner. but if i were you i would buy used unless you dont plan on selling the gun because of the reason stated earlier your resale on the maker will go down significantly. if your going to buy a new mid end (axe etha drone etc) i would go to your local shop and hold each of them and see what one you like best.
infamous4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 PM #13
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
I am an advocate of buying new. Low end, mid range, high end, luxury......doesn't matter. I only buy new. I don't like the idea of purchasing someone's left sloppy seconds (okay I'm going a bit far with that lol). But seriously I have always bought new. I am not trusting enough of people online to believe their marker is in as good of condition as they say. Also I enjoy knowing I was the original owner.
Everyone is different. Some will never buy new for a variety of reasons and I respect that. But I also understand that to keep the industry going some of us must.

As for the barrels, it would be a bad move for companies to assume that people have their own quality barrels already. You want to provide a complete product for customers to use. Even more importantly you don't want to put money in your competitors pockets.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:20 PM #14
ashep01

ashep01 supports Team VICIOUS
ashep01 is for the Gunfight
ashep01 plays in the APPA D4 division
ashep01 supports DLX Technology
I like to buy new for the warranty. I think in most cases it makes up for the difference in price between new and used. On top of that you never know what will happen out on the field.
ashep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM #15
anthony2714

anthony2714 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
anthony2714 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
anthony2714 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
If you buy used always make sure you have the sellers info because if you dont your screwed
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 PM #16
AlmightyRuler
Vigilante English Teacher

If you're considering buying used I recommend a Bob Long marker. They are known for great customer service for all of their markers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous4511 View Post
i bought a etek a couple years ago from nation and the noid went out pe gave me a discount on it and gave me a warranty for it even though i wasnt the original owner. but if i were you i would buy used unless you dont plan on selling the gun because of the reason stated earlier your resale on the maker will go down significantly. if your going to buy a new mid end (axe etha drone etc) i would go to your local shop and hold each of them and see what one you like best.
*You're.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2714 View Post
If you buy used always make sure you have the sellers info because if you dont your screwed
*You're.*

Some Invaluable Words of Wisdom:
A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man's heart directs him toward the left.
-Ecclesiastes 10:2
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”
-Sir Winston Churchill
"Lousy Democrats."-Homer J. Simpson
AlmightyRuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 PM #17
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Darko9989 is playing at Living Legends V
Darko9989 is for the Gunfight
Darko9989 supports Pev's Paintball
Darko9989 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Darko9989 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I almost always buy used as many of the guns being sold/traded on here are almost brand new if not mint. The last gun I traded for had only 2 games on it and the marker showed it. Not one scratch and no breach wear. And the trade was half the price of the gun new. The biggest thing is to check the sellers feedback. If they do not have much then go through a 3rd party Mod. That way nobody gets screwed. Most of the guys on here though are trustworthy. As far as the customer support goes, most manufacturers will still help you with 95% of issues even if you are not the original owner. Most of my guns have been used and if I ever needed the support I got it. The only exceptions would be a major human error such as bending the frame. But how often does that happen?
Darko9989 is offline   Reply With Quote