PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-11-2014, 02:17 PM #1
Cortex Parasite

Cortex Parasite owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Misaligned Spring Pack in HPR

I recently did a complete o-ring rebuild on my Cyborg, including the gladiator reg. I didn't pay too much attention when I took out the "spring pack" set of washers and now I'm unsure of what is the correct way to re-insert all the rings. From what little info I could google up, it would seem that having them all fitting together like ((((((( isn't the proper way.

So would it be correct to install each ring facing away from the other like:
()() or )()(

I seem to recall that there were gaps inbetween some of the rings and not inbetween others.

A simple right or wrong way would help, but I would also be looking for the technical reasoning behind why they are aligned the way they are so I can insure I reinstall them correctly in the future.

Thanks!
DP Fusion FX -- PE Ego 11 -- Vanguard Creed -- MacDev Cyborg RX -- Angel G7 -- Angel 05 -- Angel A1 Fly -- Machine Vapor V3 -- Zodiac ZR1 -- Shocker NXT -- BL Victory Ripper -- BL Closer EXP -- Alien Invasion -- WGP Karnivor -- WGP Prostock 04 -- WGP AC SR -- DP Threshold -- DP Fusion F8
Cortex Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM #2
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
What year cyborg/gladiator reg is it?
The washers are called bellville washers, they're used in machining applications and take the place of springs that may be too thick/long in certain areas of the machines. They need to be stacked in a )()()( pattern traditionally as that creates the flex needed when pressure is applied to them. Just having them cupping each other doesn't create tension.
Also ensuring they are stacked properly is crucial for the regulator in question as well as the count. Not all the regs that use washers are created equal. Dye, for instance, changes the amount and also the placement of the bottom/top washer in it's Hyper regs based on the model or sometimes year.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:22 PM #3
Cortex Parasite

It's a Cyborg RX from 2008. I'm not sure if its a later model or not, since I'm the second owner, but its got all stock parts except for a Violent trigger, Gold Bolt, and GTI upgrades.

There are 10 washers in total inside the reg.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense that there would have to be a different kind of material used for creating spring tension since there is several hundred pounds of pressure inside the reg and I'd doubt there would be any kind of normal spring that is small enough and strong enough to work inside. At least at an affordable price.
DP Fusion FX -- PE Ego 11 -- Vanguard Creed -- MacDev Cyborg RX -- Angel G7 -- Angel 05 -- Angel A1 Fly -- Machine Vapor V3 -- Zodiac ZR1 -- Shocker NXT -- BL Victory Ripper -- BL Closer EXP -- Alien Invasion -- WGP Karnivor -- WGP Prostock 04 -- WGP AC SR -- DP Threshold -- DP Fusion F8
Old 07-12-2014, 04:56 PM #4
Tabris17
Will B/S/T Souls

Annual Supporting Member
Tabris17 is a Moderator
Tabris17 is BST Legit
Tabris17 supports our troops
Tabris17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Tabris17 is Boss
Tabris17 is attending Decay of Nations VII
Oddly enough the RX manual lacks the stack order but judging from the picture they didn't change it at all from previous years. It should be )()()()()( for the order.
The top and bottom washers push against the piston or reg body so they get their tension from there while the other washes just push off each other.

"Only the foolish believe suffering is just wages for being different. Only the savage regard the endurance of pain as the measure of worth. Only the insane equate pain with success."

PBR Feedback +26/-0 PBN Feedback +16/-0 IOG Feedback +10/-0
Tabris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:47 PM #5
Cortex Parasite

Yeah, while the RX manual is better than many manuals I've seen, it is lacking a few things. Frankly all companies should start putting a lot more information in their manuals to help sort out the little differences between guns and models. Things like how the springs are stacked should be easy to find information, considering the HPR needs to be maintained every once in a while.

I could understand not having information on how to properly remove solenoid inserts... but even that could be worth including. With a huge "don't do this, ever" warning, but still.

Even if the manuals have to be online because a company can't always print out very nice color booklets, at least have a place to easily find all the accurate information you need.

Thanks again. I aired up my Cyborg today and it was shooting great again. Still kicks like a beast, but you gotta love that.