PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-02-2012, 06:00 PM #1
GrizzyGregPB

GrizzyGregPB has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GrizzyGregPB has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Anyone with a Reflex Rail please read.

Ok. So I've been looking at new guns for a while in the $400-600 price range. I've brought it down to 3. I'm between the Etha, the Reflex Rail, and the Drone. I'm not a huge Macdev fan, and from what I've heard from owners, they tear o-rings like it's their jobs, and cosmetically, are built to fall apart. I like the Etha, and being a PE gun, I know it's built with quality. But there's something about the Reflex that I like. It just looks sick. And from what I've seen on videos of people shooting them, seems to shoot pretty smooth and accurately. But a few kid's I've talked to are telling me they are inaccurate. Can I get some input here? And not from a bunch of scrubs. Somebody who actually knows what they're talking about please. For $450, is this gun worth it? Obviously it's not going to shoot like an NT or a DM, considering it's about $7-800 less. I need some real feedback. Accuracy wise, what would you compare it to? Efficiency wise? And overall maintenance wise. I'm not concerned with difficulty of maintenance, because there aren't to many guns I can't tech. I've never been into Dye/Proto markers, but I know my way around them. When I say maintenance wise, I basically mean, is this gun gonna fall apart or explode easily?:p As I said, feedback from some people who know what they're talking about. Not xXGhilliSn1perRandB0b123Xx. Thanks.
GrizzyGregPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2012, 11:21 PM #2
azballer123

azballer123 is playing at Living Legends V
azballer123 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
azballer123 plays in the APPA D5 division
from what ive seen heard and from my personal feel on both guns the reflex feels better in the hands and is built very well i would take it over the etha i feel that it shoots smoother
azballer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:14 AM #3
cmdrsuds

You may have your own reasons for picking these three guns but IMO it should only be between the EteK4 and the 2012 reflex. The Etha, which I do NOT own, but have shot quite a bit has a unique feel when shooting. I was pleased but I think it looks like crap compared to the Reflex. I understand it is more of a milsim look but just comes off as cheap to me I guess.. just way too simple looking.

Moving on, the EteK4 vs Reflex is a simple popit vs spoolie comparison. You won't be let down by either they will just feel totally different. If I were you I would try and get your hands on all the guns you have mentioned. Ask players and even ppl at your local store. If they know you're looking to drop $500ish they had better help you out. If they won't let you shoot a brand new one they may have that particular maker themselves or know of a buddy / teammate who does...

Great job with a serious and extensive thread but I make it a personal RULE to shoot something before I buy... No matter how much you research, which you clearly have.

Best of luck, I know its not what you're looking for, just wanted to help

-
DENVER KAOS
cmdrsuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 AM #4
GrizzyGregPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrsuds View Post
You may have your own reasons for picking these three guns but IMO it should only be between the EteK4 and the 2012 reflex. The Etha, which I do NOT own, but have shot quite a bit has a unique feel when shooting. I was pleased but I think it looks like crap compared to the Reflex. I understand it is more of a milsim look but just comes off as cheap to me I guess.. just way too simple looking.

Moving on, the EteK4 vs Reflex is a simple popit vs spoolie comparison. You won't be let down by either they will just feel totally different. If I were you I would try and get your hands on all the guns you have mentioned. Ask players and even ppl at your local store. If they know you're looking to drop $500ish they had better help you out. If they won't let you shoot a brand new one they may have that particular maker themselves or know of a buddy / teammate who does...

Great job with a serious and extensive thread but I make it a personal RULE to shoot something before I buy... No matter how much you research, which you clearly have.

Best of luck, I know its not what you're looking for, just wanted to help
Thanks man. Yea I know that anything you buy from PE is gonna be made with quality. The Etha is a nice gun for $400. As far as the Etek goes, I've never really been a fan of the open bolt design. I mean it has a good look to it, but if I'm out in a tourney, there's a much better chance of the open bolt ****ting itself. And yea I'm going to try to find someone with a Reflex who would let me shoot it. I really like the milling, and from what I've seen it is a decent shooting gun. But I've heard opinions from a few saying it's not all it's cracked up to be. But the few people saying that, I feel like they're just not giving the gun a chance because it's on the lower end of the spectrum. Like they're comparing to what they're used to shooting (Geos, DMs, Luxe, etc.) Obviously a $450 gun is not going to shoot as well as a 1k+. But if I go Reflex, I plan on using a Deadlywind on it along with a TechT bolt upgrade. And from what I've heard from a few people, the TechT, along with some adjustments to the trigger, and you pretty much have a cheaper version of the DM. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the Etek a little bit, but I'm just kinda sketched by the open bolts.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:39 AM #5
patsfan189
I'd rather be wrastlin'

patsfan189 supports Pev's Paintball
patsfan189 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
patsfan189 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
patsfan189 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
patsfan189 supports Empire
Yeah as the other guy I would take the etek over the etha but its up to you. I own the 2011 reflex rail and I do like it a lot. It does shoot pretty smooth, I haven't had any issues with accuracy just make sure its clean and you should be set with that. It's efficiency is alright, it being a spool valve gun it won't be as efficient, instead you get smoothness. It's honestly not that difficult to maintain, it has a lot of orings but nothing to worry about.

The only problem people have about the reflex rail is the trigger and for some the ASA, which were both fixed in the 2012 model. I don't have issues with the 2011 ASA but I might buy a new trigger soon, it's usable but not that good.

And I know I would rather take the etek, heres something that almost changed my mind.

Last edited by patsfan189 : 08-03-2012 at 11:42 AM.
patsfan189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:50 PM #6
Icon0clast
Powered by Sammiches

Annual Supporting Member
Icon0clast owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Icon0clast plays in the APPA D4 division
I recently got back into the game after a 7 year "break" and picked up a Reflex Rail and I've gotta say I love it. It shoots smoothly and is quiet compared to most guns. The only downside is that it is quite a bit of a air hog but its not like we pay per fill anymore so it really isn't an issue. It is comfortable in the hand and is balanced as hell.

As an ex-shocker owner I am overall impressed for the price and would recommend a Reflex to anyone that has that price range and wants a spoolie.

Edit: FYI mine is a 2012 red and black.
Icon0clast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 PM #7
grdnmark7

grdnmark7 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
the etha is an entry level marker and crap compared to the axe and reflex rail the 2012 reflex rail is a little better than the axe because it has a better trigger, asa, and overall feel to the gun the reflex 12 shoots pretty nice but the axe shoots better so i hope this helps
grdnmark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:01 PM #8
GrizzyGregPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan189 View Post
Yeah as the other guy I would take the etek over the etha but its up to you. I own the 2011 reflex rail and I do like it a lot. It does shoot pretty smooth, I haven't had any issues with accuracy just make sure its clean and you should be set with that. It's efficiency is alright, it being a spool valve gun it won't be as efficient, instead you get smoothness. It's honestly not that difficult to maintain, it has a lot of orings but nothing to worry about.

The only problem people have about the reflex rail is the trigger and for some the ASA, which were both fixed in the 2012 model. I don't have issues with the 2011 ASA but I might buy a new trigger soon, it's usable but not that good.

And I know I would rather take the etek, heres something that almost changed my mind.

Wow dude, that's pretty insane. I mean it is a decent gun if I wasn't leaning more towards the reflex, it would definitely be my second choice. I'd take it over a drone anyday.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:03 PM #9
GrizzyGregPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnmark7 View Post
the etha is an entry level marker and crap compared to the axe and reflex rail the 2012 reflex rail is a little better than the axe because it has a better trigger, asa, and overall feel to the gun the reflex 12 shoots pretty nice but the axe shoots better so i hope this helps
Honestly dude, I would never buy an axe. Empire markers are junk. The new axes blow solenoids like it's their job. They have a ****ty feel to them in my opinion. The idea of the performance of the marker is good, but they just don't hold up to perform to their full potential. I'd shoot a G.O.G. before I shot an axe. But that's just my opinion.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:49 PM #10
Crimmins

I own a 2011 Reflex and love it. It's quiet, fires smooth, fast and you hardly feel any recoil at all. Accuracy's good but could be better. Can fix that wih the TechT Ifit kit though. The Etha though. It's not bad, but no Reflex. My Nephew owns one so we've each tried the others guns for a couple games. It doesn't feel as good in my hands. It's louder. More recoil. You can feel the springs in the bolt vibrate in your hands when fired. And it's even less accurate (stock). Not to mention that a whole lot of it isn't aluminum (some composite plastic). The ASA is about the only thing better than the Reflex on it. Hands down the reflex is way more bang for your buck.
Crimmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 PM #11
Syphorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzyGregPB View Post
Ok. So I've been looking at new guns for a while in the $400-600 price range. I've brought it down to 3. I'm between the Etha, the Reflex Rail, and the Drone. I'm not a huge Macdev fan, and from what I've heard from owners, they tear o-rings like it's their jobs, and cosmetically, are built to fall apart. I like the Etha, and being a PE gun, I know it's built with quality. But there's something about the Reflex that I like. It just looks sick. And from what I've seen on videos of people shooting them, seems to shoot pretty smooth and accurately. But a few kid's I've talked to are telling me they are inaccurate. Can I get some input here? And not from a bunch of scrubs. Somebody who actually knows what they're talking about please. For $450, is this gun worth it? Obviously it's not going to shoot like an NT or a DM, considering it's about $7-800 less. I need some real feedback. Accuracy wise, what would you compare it to? Efficiency wise? And overall maintenance wise. I'm not concerned with difficulty of maintenance, because there aren't to many guns I can't tech. I've never been into Dye/Proto markers, but I know my way around them. When I say maintenance wise, I basically mean, is this gun gonna fall apart or explode easily?:p As I said, feedback from some people who know what they're talking about. Not xXGhilliSn1perRandB0b123Xx. Thanks.
Between the 3 you have chosen.
Proto Reflex 2012 has the best grip frame being that it's UL so this would be the most comfortable overall to hold.
Now this does not mean I dislike PE grip frames. The Etha frame is subpar to high end PE frames but the Reflex is comparable to high end older Dye markers utlizing the older UL grips.

The accuracy statement is irrelevant. All regulated markers would rely on bore matching to get the best consistency. Your friends may very well not be scrubs but they apparently do not know a lot about how accuracy is obtained.

As far as efficiency goes they should all be about the same and unless you don't have all day air then it's really not an issue.

When comparing the Reflex to NT's and DM's it's not a matter of whether they can shoot like them or not. Reflexes lack an lpr therefore cannot be fine tuned like DM's or NT's. A poorly tuned DM or NT would shoot worse than a Reflex.

Maintenance for all 3 are relatively easy therefore this is not an issue. If you expect the markers to explode then that would mean you put explosives in it.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 PM #12
PaintballExtreme69

PaintballExtreme69 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
2012 reflex rail

I am an actual 2012 reflex rail owner, and bought it brand new from dye. I have loved this gun, and think that people who talk sh*t about this gun, have never actually shot it. It actually has lots of the same parts, that can be found on the dm12. It looks very sick, and shoots straight and is very reliable. If you really want one, I can let mine part for 425, its gold and silver
Old 08-08-2012, 11:59 PM #13
Imagee

I own a 2012 reflex, as you can see in my sig. I can sit down and shoot a pole time after time, not missing. Get a ul back for it and it wont miss anything. They are snooth and feel great in the hands. And if you are willing to spend 600-650, the macdev clone vx's arr amazing. Smooth, efficient, and just awesome. Hope this helped.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 PM #14
mherboth
Mherboth

mherboth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mherboth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mherboth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I have a reflex rail with the techt l7 bolt and it helps on smoothness and efficiency. Hands down for what i paid i would still buy one of these than either of the guns you listed. If your a gun whore though and are going to want a different gun in a month or two don't buy this because resale is VERY poor.
The stock barrel is ok... but i have a .689 cp two piece that makes the marker perform very well. My only qualm is the board because it is a pain to change settings even if you remember the color codes. Last but not least if you are getting a 2011 you might not like the trigger as much because it is a lot bigger, but i can still walk it very well, and i get a lot of comments stating i am ramping... (i dont like ramping). I know this gun will last you, but if your just going to flip it dont buy it.

Hope this helps
mherboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 PM #15
BTKrazyy

I have a reflex and i love it. the ultralite frame feels great in the hands. plus you dont have to worry about eye covers with the reflexs eye pipe. the airport is one of the best on the market and the barrel is a very nice honed 2 piece. id go with the reflex.
BTKrazyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM #16
GrizzyGregPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTKrazyy View Post
I have a reflex and i love it. the ultralite frame feels great in the hands. plus you dont have to worry about eye covers with the reflexs eye pipe. the airport is one of the best on the market and the barrel is a very nice honed 2 piece. id go with the reflex.
Yea I'm a fan. But I think I'm going to hold off until I flip a few guns. I don't sell or buy on here I use eBay for the most part. I only use this for the forums. But the Reflex was going to be a backup marker, and I now have a mint condition NXT coming to me for only $150. So I might just stick with that for now.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:12 PM #17
RaidenBall

reflex picked one up for 200$ got it for a steal and i was shooting an 07 warped sl74 the week before
RIP RAIDEN
RaidenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM #18
Imagee

The etha feels like crap in the hands, the reflexs are nice, and the drones don't shread o rings, that was a problem that happened with the clone v2s. If I were you, I would buy an axe or a used bob long g6r, alien indy, or dm. Pm me if you need any help in choosing a marker.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM #19
PalmHarborPirates (Banned)

PalmHarborPirates is playing at Living Legends V
Reflex is amazing. Influenced me to get a dm13
PalmHarborPirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 PM #20
ToBeUsedToBE
Terrence Morton

ToBeUsedToBE is for the Gunfight
ToBeUsedToBE plays in the APPA beginner division
ToBeUsedToBE has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenBall View Post
reflex picked one up for 200$ got it for a steal and i was shooting an 07 warped sl74 the week before
yes that is a steal. But do you like it better than the sl74? I ask because the sl is one of my all time favorites.
for the people who are still alive
ToBeUsedToBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 AM #21
dijonr2

dijonr2 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Reflex 2011 & up is a great gun but I personally only shoot it with the TechT
L7 bolt b/c it feels like a completely different gun as far as smoothness & how quiet it is. Yes I'm speaking from experience as well. With the L7 you can lower the dwell anywhere from 9-11 depending how you're set up is & the smoothness is just sick. I just sold my 2011 only b/c I'm on a purple kick & want the purple 2013 version but performance wise no difference at all. You could easily pick up a 2011 under $250 dependending on the condition & upgrades.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...nr2+feedbac k
dijonr2 is offline   Reply With Quote