Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 09:55 PM #43
Charlie11x
 
 
Charlie11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
i honestly couldnt give 2 ****s. if the game is good, ill buy it. if its not good then i wont.

its not like games havnt ripped off ideas from other games and tried to feed of their success before.
My thoughts exactly. competition is good for the game industry
__________________
League of Legends - Rezenate
Charlie11x is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2012, 11:38 PM #44
big_scott
Has a good personality.
 
big_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
My problem was never that it was "ripping off" DayZ. It's the shadiness of it all. Saying that they are months away from a release with only a few staged screen shots, and no game footage of any kind is strange. The fact that they only entered the proof of concept phase 3-4 months ago makes a lot more sense, but that is not how they have been representing themselves so far. The similarities between it and DayZ are not as big of an issue as saying they are over a year a head of their actual production schedule. Though the name and the fact that the player character in one of the early screens looked a lot like a DayZ character rubbed me the wrong way.

It's not entirely damning, I guess. It could be the result of a misguided and, frankly, stupid PR campaign where the plan was to say it was being made long before they knew of DayZ to deflect any accusation of ripping it off, then when they can't make the deadlines they originally announced, say it was the result of unforeseen but not uncommon hiccups that crop up late in development. Then they could have kept laying on the delays until the game was actually done. That is bad. In so many ways. But it could still be brought back if they cop to their mistake, then let the final product be judged on it's own merit.

If they don't come clean, I don't expect the online community to be as forgiving. They still might do ok, but it will hurt them if the fact that they lied is corroborated and picked up by the major gaming sites.
__________________
big_scott is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 06:11 PM #45
MutR.
Shut up.
 
MutR.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CDA
MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_scott View Post
My problem was never that it was "ripping off" DayZ. It's the shadiness of it all. Saying that they are months away from a release with only a few staged screen shots, and no game footage of any kind is strange. The fact that they only entered the proof of concept phase 3-4 months ago makes a lot more sense, but that is not how they have been representing themselves so far. The similarities between it and DayZ are not as big of an issue as saying they are over a year a head of their actual production schedule. Though the name and the fact that the player character in one of the early screens looked a lot like a DayZ character rubbed me the wrong way.

It's not entirely damning, I guess. It could be the result of a misguided and, frankly, stupid PR campaign where the plan was to say it was being made long before they knew of DayZ to deflect any accusation of ripping it off, then when they can't make the deadlines they originally announced, say it was the result of unforeseen but not uncommon hiccups that crop up late in development. Then they could have kept laying on the delays until the game was actually done. That is bad. In so many ways. But it could still be brought back if they cop to their mistake, then let the final product be judged on it's own merit.

If they don't come clean, I don't expect the online community to be as forgiving. They still might do ok, but it will hurt them if the fact that they lied is corroborated and picked up by the major gaming sites.
I can agree with that, but honestly that all gets negated if the game is good. If its a good zombie MMO, people will eat it up and basically disregard their morals.

I held off on buying Skyrim because they were suing notch over the scrolls name, but i ended up buying it because it was a good game and i dont regret it. I see the same thing happening with War Z if its good.

also about the whole name thing, i already commented on that. The "Z" is very common in the zombie survivalist community.
__________________
PAINTBALL RUINED MY LIFE

MutR. is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 PM #46
harrycarps
Lurking
 
harrycarps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Az
harrycarps is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
They need to release a video already.
harrycarps is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 PM #47
big_scott
Has a good personality.
 
big_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR.

also about the whole name thing, i already commented on that. The "Z" is very common in the zombie survivalist community.
"Zombie survivalist community" are the saddest three words ever put together.
__________________
big_scott is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 07:25 PM #48
MutR.
Shut up.
 
MutR.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CDA
MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
lol there are worse hobbies. Like those furry people that dress up in costume and go to conventions.
__________________
PAINTBALL RUINED MY LIFE

MutR. is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 PM #49
big_scott
Has a good personality.
 
big_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
lol there are worse hobbies. Like those furry people that dress up in costume and go to conventions.
At least they are making an effort to get out and meet people.
__________________
big_scott is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 PM #50
MutR.
Shut up.
 
MutR.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CDA
MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Why would you want to meet people when you might have to shoot them in the face someday?
__________________
PAINTBALL RUINED MY LIFE

MutR. is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 PM #51
big_scott
Has a good personality.
 
big_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
It's hard to argue with that logic. Though, it's probably easier to shoot someone when that person is wearing a cartoon wolf head.
__________________
big_scott is offline  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 PM #52
paintballking72
Yummy! :-)
 
paintballking72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Midwest(Ks) ((316))
paintballking72 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
Why would you want to meet people when you might have to shoot them in the face someday?
Best. Comment. Ever.
paintballking72 is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:00 AM #53
Tin-Man
 
 
Tin-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Grand Portage, MN
Annual Supporting Member
Tin-Man is BST Trusted
Tin-Man plays in the PSP
Tin-Man is playing at Living Legends VI
Tin-Man supports Team VICIOUS
Tin-Man plays in the APPA D4 division
Tin-Man has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Tin-Man supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballking72 View Post
That's why I don't like DayZ, in the end, thats all it will ever be. A mod. Even the best mods have the nastiest bugs and glitches.

The that new movie World War Z based after that book?
Yep - Brad Pitt playing the narrator.
Tin-Man is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:01 AM #54
Tin-Man
 
 
Tin-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Grand Portage, MN
Annual Supporting Member
Tin-Man is BST Trusted
Tin-Man plays in the PSP
Tin-Man is playing at Living Legends VI
Tin-Man supports Team VICIOUS
Tin-Man plays in the APPA D4 division
Tin-Man has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Tin-Man supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
Why would you want to meet people when you might have to shoot them in the face someday?
Best comment ever. Of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTNR8OVKQhs
Tin-Man is offline  
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM #55
automagsrule
LOIC
 
automagsrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Monkey Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
i honestly couldnt give 2 ****s. if the game is good, ill buy it. if its not good then i wont.

its not like games havnt ripped off ideas from other games and tried to feed of their success before.
problem is throw together production teams with and already ****ty track record trying to cash in on another game's success has a near 0% chance of creating a decent game.
__________________

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 01:51 AM #56
AngelLover55
What, where and why?
 
AngelLover55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Redwood City, CA
AngelLover55 is a Supporting Member
AngelLover55 donated to help Peyton Trent
AngelLover55 helped look for balloons
AngelLover55 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
AngelLover55 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Theres gameplay footage now.

Looks surprisingly okay for being in alpha.

http://www.gametrailers.com/pax/vide...co-op-gameplay
__________________
90+/0-
AngelLover55 is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 02:05 AM #57
venice empire77
_________
 
venice empire77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florida
venice empire77 plays in the PSP
venice empire77 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Looks amazing to me. Can't wait for it.
__________________
Boosie
CFP Surge
lord
venice empire77 is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 02:17 AM #58
jcdenton69
****ter King
 
jcdenton69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Not Ohio
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelLover55 View Post
Theres gameplay footage now.

Looks surprisingly okay for being in alpha.

http://www.gametrailers.com/pax/vide...co-op-gameplay
You know what? That's a lot better than I was expecting it to look. They might just make a believer out of me.
jcdenton69 is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 AM #59
IncompleteSpork90
yo snake sneak that ****
 
IncompleteSpork90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Shadow Moses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdenton69 View Post
You know what? That's a lot better than I was expecting it to look. They might just make a believer out of me.
pls no
__________________
ST: Tech - Just an old killer, hired to do some wetwork.
Paintballbum: did you know if you watch rambo backwards sylverster stalone heals people with his magic bullet vacuum
Volucris: >all the reasons he is attracted to someone with a fibers major
IncompleteSpork90 is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 11:18 AM #60
MutR.
Shut up.
 
MutR.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CDA
MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
that was a sweet video. i want it now
__________________
PAINTBALL RUINED MY LIFE

MutR. is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 12:05 PM #61
paintballking72
Yummy! :-)
 
paintballking72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Midwest(Ks) ((316))
paintballking72 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
That video was way cool. I'm even more stoked now.
paintballking72 is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 01:29 AM #62
big_scott
Has a good personality.
 
big_scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Columbus, OH
Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Interesting interview with Dean Hall about his thoughts on WarZ

Kind of old but I just saw it and he makes some good points that pretty much reflect how I feel about the game.

tl;dr: He likes what he's heard and is glad other devs and publishers are looking into non-traditional games, but WarZ is making ambitious claims and if they don't deliver (even if the end product is good) gamers will come down on it hard.
__________________
big_scott is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 01:44 AM #63
paintballking72
Yummy! :-)
 
paintballking72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Midwest(Ks) ((316))
paintballking72 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
That's to be expected with any game that gets hype and doesn't deliver. After seeing the alpha gameplay, I think it looks very promising. Just the movement of the zombies and everything looks very pretty smooth.

The DayZ standalone sounds pretty cool as well. Either way, I will buy both.
paintballking72 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump