PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 PM #1
MenosDaBear

MenosDaBear owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Question on the Lurker Eigenbarrel

Hey guys, I played a tourney this last weekend and chopped a few balls. The freak barrel I was using was absolutely horrible at self cleaning itself. My shots were going all over the place.

I have been looking at the Lurker Eigenbarrel for a little while now, but couldn't justify the purchase. I was wondering how well the Eigenbarrel cleans itself after a ball chop? How does it compair to some others?

I vaguely remember finding an article that rated the Eigenbarrel and one of the ratings was for self-cleaning. But I unfortunately can't find that again, and I couldn't find much with the searches I did through the forums.

Just for reference, I was using an ego8 and shooting marballizers, feeding from a halo too. The hopper has always kept up with anything I could throw at it, so I doubt that is the reason. I haven't had more than a handful of chops playing this year, but the pressure of a tournament makes me want to be able to quickly resolve a chopped ball if I need to.
MenosDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 PM #2
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
One of the benefits of under-boring in the first place is better self cleaning. In general, any barrel that is under bored is going clean better than over-bored.

I can't really comment on how well it specifically self cleans since I've not had a chop or barrel break (at least up barrel, only get down barrel breaks when there is dirt/debris in the tip from crawling). I am going to be doing some tests on my my current setup (upgrades) soon, and will provide info back.

So far though, I'd highly recommend the lurker barrel!
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 AM #3
theassassassin
Chuck a Deuce Crew

theassassassin plays in the APPA beginner division
theassassassin has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
From what I can tell, it self cleans pretty well, I promise it'll do better than a freak kit. I finally had a ball break this weekend, but I dropped a pod and still dumped it in and a ball or two had broken, so everything was covered in paint. At that point it couldn't self clean, as all the balls in the hopper were paint covered. For 41.50 shipped to your door, its a steal for the performance it provides. I shoot pretty big paint, .691 and the bore I got is .678 and it shoots it wonderfully. Your paint isn't going to be smaller than that bore and it works well with bigger paint. I can't see a reason not to try one out!

reddit.com/r/paintball
theassassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 AM #4
krusty_da_clwn
HEY! HEY!

It cleans its self well enough, it does everything it says it does. BUT, I took it out to MAO one season and when i put ultra evil through it I got a too many barrel breaks cost me a couple games. I haven't used it since.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:11 PM #5
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Self-cleaning is a myth lol
This coming from a pretty religious pump player though, so I may be pickier than a high volume player.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:57 PM #6
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
This coming from a pretty religious pump player though, so I may be pickier than a high volume player.
Check an underbored barrel vs an overbored barrel. This is where self cleaning comes from.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM #7
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

I've never broken a ball in my Eigenbarrel, so i wouldn't know. Awesome barrels though, I own both bore sizes.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 AM #8
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racso View Post
Check an underbored barrel vs an overbored barrel. This is where self cleaning comes from.
Shoot underbored more or less exclusively these days but I've shot pretty much every combination of paint and bore sizes, in pretty much every material. Nothing I have ever seen approaches a condition that the word "clean" applies to once paint breaks in it, until it is manually cleaned out.

Luckily I have things for that.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:59 PM #9
jach707

I think they mean "self cleaning" so you can throw 100 balls down a lane.
jach707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM #10
guitarghost
Mini Elitist

guitarghost plays in the APPA D5 division
guitarghost has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
guitarghost has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
My two main barrels are a lurker (.678) and a stiffi (.687). Now I'm not going to use the "self cleaning" terminology, but I will tell you that the Stiffi shoots through breaks much better in my experience. Any time I've had a break in my lurker, which is rarely, I have to give a good swabbing before it will shoot straight again, where the Stiffi will usually straighten out more or less after a few shots. Maybe it's because of the bore sizes, but either way the lurker barrels are still excellent. Just don't expect them to shoot straight after a break.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:13 AM #11
nerdcore
Radical!

has been a member for 10 years
nerdcore is playing at Living Legends VII
nerdcore is a top reviewer
I've been using my .678 Lurker with some cheap crap Heat that breaks like glass in the barrel (field paint, the balls are even stamped FPO). Mainly cuz it all looks like tiny yellow eggs, it's so out of round. Now the stuff doesn't shoot straight to begin with, but it didn't seem like it got much worse after shooting a few through breaks.
nerdcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:58 PM #12
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
Freaks are particularly bad due to the slip-fit nature of the inserts - paint gets behind them and continues to be distributed with each shot.