PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 01-03-2004, 11:47 PM #1
flybo

has been a member for 10 years
Making an electococker

OK guys here is my idea but im gonna need alot of help. Im thinking that not only are electrococker conversions way to expensive, but that it would be a great project to try and make one myself. In theory this doesnt sound too dificult. I see actually milling and fitting the internals into a frame as being one of the hardest parts along with programing the board. I have a general idea of what it would look like. the trigger would activate a feather light switch like the ones used in timmys, which would in turn activate a sear solenoid and then the solenoid driven 4-way. The problem is that i cant figure out how i would mount the sear solenoid. I haven't been able to find any good diagrams on how the eblade does it. I saw 1 on the race frames assymbly but i cant figure out where the spring would go and how exactly it works. Any suggestions? Thanks
Dye stickies
bomb 3-way
spring kit
Dye Boomstick
47/3k tank
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2004, 12:15 AM #2
mIsnos
TRICK

mIsnos is a Supporting Member
I ahve the best suggestion you will get. Buying those parts, having them milled and then paying for any problems you WILL encounter will be more than 350$. So just dont be a poorass and spend the money to buy a electro trigger frame.

WHEN YOU SEE DEM BOYS ROUND YA WAY HOLLA DAMMIT MAN
Old 01-04-2004, 01:09 AM #3
flybo

well thanks for all your help. You really added alot to this thread and i look forward to all your future suggestions.
Dye stickies
bomb 3-way
spring kit
Dye Boomstick
47/3k tank
Old 01-04-2004, 01:16 AM #4
Reeces4Breakfast

Reeces4Breakfast is a Supporting Member
he speaks the truth
Old 01-04-2004, 01:18 AM #5
flybo

i am posting this more as a fun project than a mopney saver. But thanks for your honest opinion.
Dye stickies
bomb 3-way
spring kit
Dye Boomstick
47/3k tank
Old 01-04-2004, 01:21 AM #6
Tanner
BANNED 4 LIFE

Tanner is a Supporting Member
Tanner is a founding member
Honestly flybo he's correct about the cost being more expensive than u expect. But if you want to build your own, I suggest using a Morrlock board. I believe Conq. uses a Morrlock in his custom built frame. I think Doc. Nickle does too. As for how the solenoid mounts.... go look on www.planeteclipse.com There's a pic. But the mount is milled into the frame.

--BANNED--
Old 01-04-2004, 03:16 AM #7
Bimmer323is

Flybo, you asked for suggestions, so here’s mine: If you are an engineering major with background in EE, ME, and CS, then building an electrococker from scratch would be an awesome learning experience for you. Hell, you can even start your own company.

However, your chance is nil at best if you have no background in the above, working with a shoestring budget, and hoping to recruit volunteers from here.

If your end goal is to have a working electrococker, then your best chance is to lie, steal, and cheat your way to either a RaceGun or an E-blade.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:13 AM #8
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
Conqueror supports our troops
Wholeheartedly agreed. I started out building my own, and realized this truth as the project progressed. I ended up buying a Tiny Tornado frame "under the table" from the 3rd-party manufacturer (don't ask), and modifying it to suit my needs. It runs a morlock board with no ACE at 14.14bps with current settings.

Building a frame is DAMN HARD. I couldn't do it. I destroyed several grip frames of various types (for which I paid around $15 each) as well as a $50 bushmaster tray in the attempt to fit everything in the frame. Doc Nickel, who's a very accomplished machinist, barely managed it. The materials you will go through will push $300 or more, and it would be worth the extra $50 to buy an eblade and save yourself a great many headaches.

I'm not trying to discourage you from attempting this project; this is the brutal truth. If you still want to do it, go right ahead - but you won't find much help from anyone, because everyone who's tried has realized (as I did) that they were better off buying at least a couple of the components pre-made.

CQ

Last edited by Conqueror : 01-04-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:02 PM #9
the electrician

well coming from a guy who has built several electro frames of my own design, inventing and finding out what you need is even harder, and takes longer than actually doing it. you have to own or have access to a mill, drill press, and various hand tools. you have to have a working knowledge of pneumatics, electronincs, mechanisims, and solenoids specifically.

so if you have the desire and motivation, along with the access to the tools and the knowledge, you can do it right.

it starts with research first. and I don't mean pimping people here for info. I mean get yourself some info online, or at the library. that's what I did. go get some books on basic electronincs. study your cocker and how it really works. findout what you really want to do and avoid doing with your design. take measurements till your eye's hurt.

the first one I built was pricey, but there was no e-blades or raceguns at the time. only f-5s and I wanted a slide trigger electro. now, I can build them for half the cost.

I will never discourage someone from being motivated to do something for themselves, that's how things are invented in the first place. but I will tell you....It's not going to be easy.

good luck.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:03 PM #10
Tanner
BANNED 4 LIFE

Tanner is a Supporting Member
Tanner is a founding member
Also if your paying someone to do the milling for you.... keep in mind, that no matter how many times you check and re-check your measurements... there's always gonna be something that comes up, and your gonna have to go back and do some more milling. You never get it exactly right the first time.... it can happen, but more than likely won't. So thats just more funds right there.... unless you have your own equipment...then your set. Good luck in your quest!

--BANNED--