Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM #1
Switch462
Two

Switch462 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Switch462 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
BST improvement

BST is a great aspect of the site; however, it could be optimized to take into account manufacturers. Have it broken down where you click electronic markers and it brings you to a list of manufacturers. This way if you are looking for an ego or etek then they are all right there.

Flaws:

1. It creates the requirement to double post if you are selling multiple markers.
2. Wont work for all smaller BST like air, misc gear, and all those other ones.
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM #2
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
i don't think anyone has suggested this before, but imo it would be a lot, but it would probably help a ton
Rob66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:58 PM #3
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
To do something like that, we'd have to limit one gun per thread. Do people really want that?
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:03 PM #4
xXBloodLustACXx
The EM1 Collector

xXBloodLustACXx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
To do something like that, we'd have to limit one gun per thread. Do people really want that?
I certainly think so - at least, they should want it.

It means that buyers will much more easily be able find specific markers they're looking for. This means that, in general, things should move faster; who wants to be bothered sifting through a 10 marker sale when all they're looking for is an Alias Timmy? Or what if someone doesn't know exactly what they want, but has decided they'd like to give a Macdev marker a try? It would especially help move older and more obscure markers which some people are very interested but which tend to fall through the cracks in large threads in the current system. I guarantee that old Angel LCD will sell faster in such a new system then lumped in a huge sale in the current system. When people are looking for something specific, they also tend to be more interested and less likely to back out or waste your time. It seems like large threads are easy prey for people who like to lowball 50 markers in hopes that someone will give in because they've got their hands too full. Give your marker the attention it deserves!

Okay, I know, you can just do a search for particular markers in the current system. But when marker names are not listed in the titles of threads, you can end up with false hits which appear in the posts themselves (for example, someone who posted only to offer up the marker you're looking for).

Speaking of searches, they would become much more tractable. Every thread would have the name of the marker clearly displayed, allowing for a much smaller search on thread titles only. Searches would be faster and simpler because they'd originate within a subforum.

For those who'd say it requires too much work on the part of the seller, I'd think it'd actually be more manageable to have a number of small threads rather than one giant thread with lots of scattered offers. Even if you're selling 10 markers at once, posts will come in much more slowly in each and it would be a lot easier to keep track of than you think.

In an ideal world, BST would work as follows:

- Subforums for each manufacturer.
- Instead of separating mechanical and electronic, require the seller declare to which it is upon thread creation and implement this as a search option.
- Thread title must include marker model and year.
- Price is listed as a separate field next to the thread title. Every thread must have an asking price. You can sort on price. "For Trade" is also an option.
- When creating a thread, the seller must fill out fields/write a small blurb summarizing things such as color, upgrades, and known issues. This is visible to users when they hover over the thread title. This is a fantastic way to catch a buyer's attention and is largely ignored in the current system.

I hope someone reads this. It would be more convenient, plain and simple. There have been tons of good ways to organize the BST over the years Is it really THAT tough to implement such a change...?

Last edited by xXBloodLustACXx : 07-27-2012 at 02:07 PM.
xXBloodLustACXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:31 PM #5
Moonboot
SPEAKMAN

Moonboot plays in the PSP
Moonboot supports Bob Gurnsey
Moonboot plays in the APPA D3 division
Moonboot is Legendary
Moonboot supports Empire
I agree with most of what xXBloodLustACXx is saying, however, most of the time I sift through the BST I am just looking to see what's out there for the sake of looking.

Pushing all of the markers into sub-categories would make it annoying for anyone who is just interested in seeing all different kinds of markers in the BST.

My only suggestion, if the BST were to be divided into sub-categories, would be to keep an option for the user to simply look at the BST as a whole, all at once, just like the current BST system.
XFT #31
OSUPB ALUMNI #31
TRUST 14+/0-
PAINTBALL XCAPE
Mask Parts FS PE Pants
Moonboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:55 PM #6
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
You can do that with the search button, just search for "ego" and it brings up every ego for sale.

Now, what would be nice is if there was a way to shop according to price range. So, if you have $400 and are looking for a deal you would be able to narrow down your options.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 AM #7
xXBloodLustACXx
The EM1 Collector

xXBloodLustACXx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
You can do that with the search button, just search for "ego" and it brings up every ego for sale.

Now, what would be nice is if there was a way to shop according to price range. So, if you have $400 and are looking for a deal you would be able to narrow down your options.
The problem with searching "ego" in thread titles is that many people fail to actually put the marker name in the title because they're too busy saying it "shoots lazors" or because it's one of many in a large sale thread. The problem with searching whole posts is that, if someone posts to offer an ego, the thread will show up in your search. Standardizing thread titles might make things a bit boring but it would greatly help people browse.

I think that a lot of the improvements suggested in the past (including the some I posted above) could be implemented by A) requiring people to fill out a form when they create a thread and B) allowing users to search for specific things in each field. For example, have the seller fill out a form which has marker model, year, and asking price. I could then search for a 2005 Ego for $300 or under without all of the bs you'd encounter in trying to do this in the current system.

The thing is, the BST works as is. If 99% of people use it without complaining, then should you bother changing anything? From a developer's standpoint... I guess not.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:33 PM #8
Not AzaTuR
Wax On Wax Off

sounds like a super duper unnecessary feature to me. PBNation does have something call the "search" feature, ya know? Comes in handy, search EXACTLY what you are looking for.
Not AzaTuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 PM #9
jtcrowder49

jtcrowder49 is an NCPA player
jtcrowder49 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
jtcrowder49 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jtcrowder49 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Yes!!! Yes!!! Yes!!!

DO NOT DEAL WITH GUNDOPAINTBALL!!!!
jtcrowder49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:48 PM #10
Trigger Finger
Yetipb.com

Trigger Finger has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger is attending Decay of Nations VI
well you could break the manufacturers into the subforum and then people with multiple gun can make a big thread under the main forum with links to all the different guns in their respectful places.

My Gear Bag Sale!!! Click Me!
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:24 PM #11
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
The problem is... it doesn't. Anybody selling multiple guns and doesn't have Ego in the title will not come up. Anyone who uses the SL title won't come up. Anyone who uses anything other than Ego wont come up.

On top of that, anyone who puts Bring or Want Ego will come up as well.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote