Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 AM #1
2point0
Still Rockin an Impulse!!

2point0 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2point0 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Trying to get back in the game

Hello everyone, first off I would like to apologize if I posted this in the wrong part of the forumís. Anyways I have been out of paintball for about 7 years now (damn life getting in the way). Recently however I have gotten bitten by the bug once again and will be going to play with my buddy and my girlfriend this weekend and I cannot wait! I cleaned, lubed and gassed up my 2004ish Impulse Vision today and ran some paint through her and she worked great just like she used to. However after doing so, I decided to jump on the web and check out all the new gear that is out there now. What I found really bummed me out (besides the realization my marker is an ancient relic lol) I couldnít help but notice that Smart Parts, WDP and WGP who were HUGE back when I used to play a few times a week are gone! As from what my limited research tells me they all seem to be out of business (I used to dream about owning a Shocker lol). Anyways, I guess after seeing how much things have changed in the world of paintball I started getting nervous to start playing again. I guess I just donít know how to jump back in the game again. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Also if anyone has any incite on what happened to all of the companyís that made these legendary markers I would appreciate it, even though Iím sure this is all old news to you guys!

Thanks everyone
2point0
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2012, 04:01 AM #2
legitmatt

legitmatt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I'm in the same boat, i'm not getting back in, but i check on pbnation every so often and there is a lot of new gear/guns coming out. Most of the new guns that are coming out are lighter and faster which is what the community wants. I know that there was a cocker just released? or is coming out, i'm not to sure, you should check this on updated news for paintball:

http://www.pbnation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

As for words of encouragement, the game is still the same, just new guns, new gear that's all. Don't get discouraged by the gun you have, that gun was a beast back then and is still a beast now!

As for the companies, not sure what happened, but im sure someone will post up here pretty soon and explain that too you, or you can check the link i sent you, for the Paintball News Sub Forum.

"Originally posted by SUR3: kid's legit, listen to him"
legitmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:07 AM #3
PaintballRightMeow

PaintballRightMeow is for the Gunfight
Glad to have you back in the game.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:16 AM #4
GottMilk
Milk Man

GottMilk has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GottMilk has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Great to see you getting back into it. I am not completely sure on this but what I believe happened to Smart Parts is lawsuits. They were sueing other companies for using things that Smarts Parts had pattented. They got so caught up in the lawsuits that they didn't really think about the lawyer fees. This eventually came up and bit them in the anal and they had to file chapter 11 bankrupsy, putting them out of buisness. I believe they are now somewhat affiliated with Gen X Global however. Again I am not positive in all of this but it is what i have heard. As for all the new stuff coming out now a days it is as legittmatt said "Faster and Lighter" guns are also getting much more different millings and features. From a guns that dont need micro line (Empire Axe) to guns that flirt with the ref (Luxe 2.0). Nowadays guns can stay under water for a few minutes shoot 21 bps and cost 1500$ but the game is still the same, lots of fun friendly people to make a good day of paintball better.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:47 AM #5
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
Don't worry about it, it hasn't changed as much as you may think. Your dreams of owning a shocker can soon be a reality: they can be found in the BST section for pretty cheap. Ummm.. Drop forwards are no longer in style either, I remember back in 04 everyone was rocking those things.

My best advise would be to start playing again with your own gear and see if you can shoot others guns over the chrono to get a feel for them. Offer to use your own paint and no one will say no.

Good luck and enjoy.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:53 AM #6
Dudu222
Nota2k8r

Dudu222 is BST Trusted
i just got back into it and am loving it! keep it up and dont be afraid to play by yourself, thats what i do and just meet people and make friends at fields!

BOTH FT
Dudu222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:13 PM #7
2point0

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think i am actually going to go to the field by myself today just to get a feel for it again. It is good to see the paintball community is still full of good people willing to help old noobs out.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:02 PM #8
Nowayout24
F.E.A.R

Nowayout24 is playing at Living Legends V
Nowayout24 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Nowayout24 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Nowayout24 supports Team VICIOUS
Nowayout24 supports Pev's Paintball
Nowayout24 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Dont dump all your money into all new gear and a new gun unless you are serious about playing again, continue to play with your old gun until you get a feel for the game again

When your ready try and buy used, I reccomend used over new 99% of the time because you can pick up cheap packages and at times get gear that is like new for 3/4 of the new price
Nowayout24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 AM #9
PumpStalker

PumpStalker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PumpStalker has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
As far as advice about playing goes, in the woods and recball dept. not a whole lot has changed. Snap shooting, aggressive and smart play are still the most important aspects of the sport. I still use an Automag and a 2k2 STO Pump as my main and they do just as well, if not better than the new equipment out there. If you're just looking to play rec-ball the Impulse is going to treat you well.
"Originally posted by BallSoHard2012: So YOU were the guys that stole those captures at the end of the main-game!? -Mack (MCM MVP)"
PumpStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 AM #10
eyeownyu
ryan

eyeownyu plays in the APPA D4 division
both wdp and SP went out of business fairly recently. if you love shockers, you should check out the luxe, its basically the newest shocker.

alot has changed in the few years you've been gone haha

"It's the decisions you make when you have no time to make them that defines who you are." ~ teh_masterer
Only after disaster can we be resurrected. ~Tyler Durden
San Diego Pirates
VSB.
eyeownyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:49 AM #11
2point0

Thanks again for all of the reply's, this is a really great online community of players! Yeah i just plan on playing rec ball, nothing to crazy so i imagine my impy will get the job done just like she used too lol. Bummer about wdp and sp im sure they will be missed by the whole paintball community. I also checked out the Luxe, that thing is sick! So i guess i will drool over that instead of the shocker haha.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:18 PM #12
iRoNiQ

You said you have always dreamed of owning a Shocker well... now you can and it's only going to cost about $200. How is that for words of encouragement?
iRoNiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:18 PM #13
justme-

justme- has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Wow, glad to read this thread. I'm in a similar boat - getting back after 10 plus years away. Just bought (and am slowly putting in the tlc and minor parts it needs ) a 2k2 timmy, otherwise I got my mag back up and running. I was worried about similar issues - how many companies have gone, or been bought, and how many new ones I never heard of are out there... how much all the newest guns look the same, and getting back in. We never worried about freak inserts (or had heard of them), paint sizers, barrel bags....
I guess I look at it this way- aside from a few minor safety changes (barrel bags instead of plugs), and economic issues (paint size) it'
s going to be essentially the same once in the woods- I think.

Most fields have BPs limits right? I've never really been into speedball or trying to hit 30bps, but it would be reassuring to know I'm not ging to be hit by 30 rounds all at once.
justme- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:02 AM #14
2point0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRoNiQ View Post
You said you have always dreamed of owning a Shocker well... now you can and it's only going to cost about $200. How is that for words of encouragement?
Right! I was checking them out on ebay and almost had a heart attack when i saw how cheap they where lol.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:57 AM #15
WTFisPAINTBALL

Wow. I look in the BST section and I may as well be deciphering binary code.

I got out of the game when my woodland camo shocktech SFT was amazing and heavily sought after; now, it's got macro line so it's outdated. Is NPPL still going? I loved xball when I played but I miss the skill involved with semi.... I hope that isn't totally dead....

I feel like starting out for the first time was easier than this!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 AM #16
WTFisPAINTBALL

OMG How is the Ego still so popular? It's THE SAME EXACT THING as it was 10 generations ago with different milling!!!! WTFisPAINTBALL????????

What is Ollie LAng doing these days?
Old 08-01-2012, 10:36 AM #17
dwizum

I'm in the same boat but for me it's been closer to 15 years out of it. Played a few times this summer and I'm bitten by the bug again. LOTS has changed. Some changes seem good, others I haven't figured out yet.

Something I'm considering a "good" change is how dirt cheap all my old dream markers are on the classifieds forums these days! :o Who cares about having the latest and greatest when you can pick up what used to be a top-end marker for what entry-level crap is selling for new?
dwizum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:50 AM #18
WTFisPAINTBALL

I feel like over the last 7 years, changes to what is top of the line has been marginal and costly. Semi auto is the same speed as your fingers were yesterday or tomorrow and psp ramping is locked...

It seems that macro line has grown SO grossly unreliable that we now have to route air through the trigger frame.

SUCCESS!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 PM #19
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
WTFisPAINTBALL: The nipple is still going, but in some people's opinion is on its way out (I say not likely; ppl in this sport are too stubborn to let it die), the EGO has been improved a steadily over the years and is reliable, that's why, and Lang is back with Dynasty, who are (sadly) not the Dynasty they once were.
"A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Uh, I'll call BS. You ever seen Deadliest Catch? I don't know many accountants that get plunged into 40 degree water and end up with all their friends drowned. And you can always make any scenario worse by adding 'and then a roller coaster cut my head off'. Just saying".
-Daniel Tosh

If you can't beat 'em, might as well eat 'em, cause no one's getting out alive!

-Sick Puppies
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:25 PM #20
WTFisPAINTBALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintman15 View Post
WTFisPAINTBALL: The nipple is still going, but in some people's opinion is on its way out (I say not likely; ppl in this sport are too stubborn to let it die), the EGO has been improved a steadily over the years and is reliable, that's why, and Lang is back with Dynasty, who are (sadly) not the Dynasty they once were.
I miss Dynasty wiping the competition with Angels.. Better times my friend, better times indeed...

What has changed with the ego besides milling? It still follows the same principal operation doesn't it?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:07 PM #21
LeByron
Always use lubrication

LeByron has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
LeByron has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
LeByron has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Smart Parts went out of business, and then came back as GoG.
From what I see so far, they are doing great!