Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:54 AM #106
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

midman112 supports Team VICIOUS
midman112 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
midman112 plays in the APPA D5 division
I really like my All Star Rods. They're not overly expensive and mine have lasted forever. The new team series rods they just came out with are super nice.
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 AM #107
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

has been a member for 10 years
the micro guide rod does not look to shabby. i am also looking at kistler and powell, or if i can find one for cheap a Loomis bronze back id do that

Last edited by imhungry : 09-13-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 PM #108
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

I picked up some of the seagaur red label just to try it out. It was only $10 so not a big loss if I don't like it. I've never really fished a wacky worm so I'm going to try and force myself to this weekend.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:19 PM #109
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

if you plan on doing any drop shot fishing with that line...don't. either tie a mono leader or re-spool. fluoro sinks and the action is awful fishing drop shot
Old 09-13-2012, 11:31 PM #110
ikilledkenny
Noob forum OT OG

Annual Supporting Member
ikilledkenny is a Supporting Member
ikilledkenny donated to help Peyton Trent
ikilledkenny has achieved Level 7 in PbNation Pursuit
ikilledkenny is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
ikilledkenny is Legendary
ikilledkenny is Boss
ikilledkenny is Immortal
salmon are running in NY....i am off saturday night into sunday, can call out sunday into monday...and am off monday into tuesday. Really tempted to do it, and drive the 5hrs.

sooo many salmon!
R.I.P Harbinger[TG] 12/16/02 - 4/18/08 (permed)
Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 AM #111
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

i wish i could see the pic at work . steelhead have been running for the last couple weeks. real light run so far but its weeks earlier than usual. considering how hot it has been it seems incredibly odd. do you know if they are running out of lake erie/ontario too?

headed to the northern rocky river tomorrow morning to throw spoons. i was going to try to do some pinning but i will be fishing a deeper area and spoons seem more efficient. i also want to use my new casting reel

edit: apparently they have been running since mid august out of the great lakes (not around here apparently)

Last edited by imhungry : 09-14-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:51 AM #112
Corrupt_Paintball

Corrupt_Paintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
if you plan on doing any drop shot fishing with that line...don't. either tie a mono leader or re-spool. fluoro sinks and the action is awful fishing drop shot
Fluorocarbon is the best line to use for drop shotting IMO. If you use a light enough line it is nearly invisible, very abrasion resistant and the low stretch helps your hook-up ratio since most drop shot rods are very limber. The fact that the line sinks is mute since you are going to have a weight at the end of the line that sinks much faster than the line would anyway. If you look at a majority of the people who are successful with the drop shot, I would bet 95% are using 6 - 12lb fluorocarbon line.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:10 AM #113
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

i donno, i hate the action with it. it feels so limp and you get a lot more play out of mono IMO. however, i am not a huge fan of spooling mono.

i don't really do much drop shoting but since i switched to mono or a mono leader i have had more success. not a massive difference but there i was noticing more hits

Last edited by imhungry : 09-14-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 AM #114
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

I don't drop shot that often, I don't have the best electronics so it makes it difficult to find and mark fish sometimes. Although, I do keep everything I need to drop shot in the boat with me haha. Last time I did drop shot for an extended period of time was fishing Jackson lake in GA and its how we got a quick limit before going after bigger fish to cull.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM #115
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

i should also mention when i do drop shot i dont really finesse fish and do more 'power' fishing. i mainly use it when punching heavy lily beds and cover
Old 09-14-2012, 11:25 AM #116
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

The grass down here is too damn thick to even think about trying that. If I'm going to fish grass it's a Texas rig or shakey head on the edge or punching or flipping in the thick of it on 65 pound braid. My buddy sent a picture to me yesterday of a nice large head he caught on a skinny dipper skipping it underneath a dock. He was telling me the bass are finally starting to move back shallow and key in on the bream and other baitfish around docks and stumps. Only caught a few out of the grass, which makes me sad because I genuinely enjoy flipping and pitching haha.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:19 PM #117
Corrupt_Paintball

Corrupt_Paintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If they are keying in on bream, try a prop bait or a frog (like a SPRO). Some of the best days I've had have been fishing those around shallow cover where bream are everywhere.

I've always thought about drop shotting around grass and lilly pads, but we don't have many close, and when I do make it to the grassy lakes, drop shotting is the farthest thing from my mind. I bet it's a great way to catch them though.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:42 PM #118
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

in the lily beds are the only places i have been getting hits mid day on a couple small bodies around here. the lakes themselves are pretty shallow and the only real cover is in the beds and part of the stream inlet that is spotted with stumps.

even with heavy *** line a tackle it is a ***** to fish lily beds. getting in there is fine but getting out with a hog on the end is another story.

kenny: finally saw that pic and good lord that is a lot of salmon. that would be foul hook city throwing spoons. where is that? if its off of southeastern ontario i might have to head up
Old 09-14-2012, 05:11 PM #119
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt_Paintball View Post
If they are keying in on bream, try a prop bait or a frog (like a SPRO). Some of the best days I've had have been fishing those around shallow cover where bream are everywhere.

I've always thought about drop shotting around grass and lilly pads, but we don't have many close, and when I do make it to the grassy lakes, drop shotting is the farthest thing from my mind. I bet it's a great way to catch them though.
If you haven't checked out the jackal iobee frog I highly recommend it. They're expensive but I like them more than my spro frogs. My uncle said they were blowing up a buzz bait over on Harding last weekend so I may try a buzz bait as well.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:50 PM #120
ikilledkenny
Noob forum OT OG

Annual Supporting Member
ikilledkenny is Boss
ikilledkenny is Immortal
so...i just talked to my NY guide/guy i rent a cabin from...and to rub salt in the wound, he says fishing is stupid right now...literally drop the line in, and you have a fish on
Old 09-15-2012, 07:16 PM #121
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

smokePT reel got here yesterday, spooled it w/ 10 lb fluoro and went to the local pond to test out throwing senko's. worked like a dream but i completely forgot how to fish a spool of lighter fuoro since i have been throwing heavy braid all summer on my other casting set ups. took a few casts to retrain my thumb, quite embarrassing. had more hits than i have there all summer but my hooksets were trash and i only managed to land 3 in an hour and a half.

threw it on a 7ft mojo bass plastics rod for now. i loved the feel of it but might try to find a slightly lighter rod for it in the future

Last edited by imhungry : 09-15-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:23 PM #122
ikilledkenny
Noob forum OT OG

Annual Supporting Member
ikilledkenny is Boss
ikilledkenny is Immortal
Quote:
in the lily beds are the only places i have been getting hits mid day on a couple small bodies around here. the lakes themselves are pretty shallow and the only real cover is in the beds and part of the stream inlet that is spotted with stumps.

even with heavy *** line a tackle it is a ***** to fish lily beds. getting in there is fine but getting out with a hog on the end is another story.

kenny: finally saw that pic and good lord that is a lot of salmon. that would be foul hook city throwing spoons. where is that? if its off of southeastern ontario i might have to head up
That is in Pulaski NY on the salmon river.
As far as throwing spoons, no treble hooks allowed. Only single. Usually people use egg sacks, chunks of skein, or flies.
Alot of snagging/lining goes on.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 PM #123
surge101
word

surge101 supports Team VICIOUS
Just bought a barely used (according to ebay description, hopefully its true) saltist reel for $120 shipped on ebay. $200 reel, pretty stoked. It's spooled with $40 worth of braid, unfortunately it's 100 lb test, on a 35 reel. No idea why the **** he would put 100lb test on that, im going to end up trashing that braid and putting 30lb braid with a mono top shot on it.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 AM #124
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikilledkenny View Post
That is in Pulaski NY on the salmon river.
As far as throwing spoons, no treble hooks allowed. Only single. Usually people use egg sacks, chunks of skein, or flies.
Alot of snagging/lining goes on.
hmm i actually need to make sure i can throw trebles on spoons this time of year. not entirely sure since they don't usually run this early (rainbows that is)

after my last post my buddy called me to come over for a camp fire and a little night fishing on his parents pond. landed a6 lb channel cat right before i left on a dead minnow. 2 other cats were caught, 11 lbs being the largest. nothing crazy for channels but that is pretty good considering it was a 1 acre farm pond
Old 09-16-2012, 07:49 PM #125
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

Well, I got out fishing for a few hours yesterday morning and afternoon. Morning bite was great, caught 3 on a watermelon red horny toad, a handful on a spinnerbait and two more flipping an ugly otter under some boat docks. As soon as the sun came up really well and brought the temps up the bite slowed down dramatically and I only caught two more fish between 9 and 11 with one coming off a squarebill crank and a shakey head. Went out again after the Auburn game and only caught a few before I went back in around 5:30 (wanted to stay out later but I had to go home and cook dinner for the lady friend). All in all it wasn't a bad day but I really wish I could get that mid day bite. It seems like I try and go full retard after the morning bite sometimes haha.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 AM #126
ikilledkenny
Noob forum OT OG

Annual Supporting Member
ikilledkenny is Boss
ikilledkenny is Immortal
Quote:

edit: apparently they have been running since mid august out of the great lakes (not around here apparently)
really looking at that pic now, the shop behind the guy almost looks like a shop in Pulaski NY that ive seen, yankee fly and tackle
edit: sure enough it is. just checked their site haha
Closed Thread