PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 AM #85
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

has been a member for 10 years
those things are beefmo, perfect for flipping into heavy ****.

for vert jigging you talking about butterfly and yoyo jigs and stuff? we do it in deep *** water for walleye from time to time but if you are doing it in saltwater (assuming you are) rigging is a lot different (and an *** load heavier)

Last edited by imhungry : 09-05-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 AM #86
surge101
Hayley?

surge101 supports Team VICIOUS
surge101 is for the Gunfight
surge101 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
surge101 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Yah, I'm pretty sure they call it butterfly jigging in other locations. Its pretty much the only fishing technique I have yet to do, and honestly it looks like I'm missing out. Constant movement and huge fish.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:58 PM #87
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

i just watched a really good video for rigging butterfly rigs on your tube. i was going to try it for walleye but we usually use spoons/small yoyo's.

the jigs are really expensive but you will save money not buying bait (assuming you rig up correctly and dont lose them)

Last edited by imhungry : 09-05-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 PM #88
surge101
Hayley?

Ended up dropping more money than I wanted too, but I got a nice jigging set up. Saragosa 10000 on a custom 250 hopper rod. Can't wait to pull up some big amberjack.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 PM #89
surge101
Hayley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt_Paintball View Post
I could give you a suggestion, but you know more about it than I do :-)

We just got in a bunch of Medlock Jigs for the little tackle site my wife and I run. I've never seen one in person before, and man this thing is wicked.

What's the site? I'm guessing no butterfly jigs on there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
i just watched a really good video for rigging butterfly rigs on your tube. i was going to try it for walleye but we usually use spoons/small yoyo's.

the jigs are really expensive but you will save money not buying bait (assuming you rig up correctly and dont lose them)
Guy at the tackle shop was telling me he lost up to 13 in one day before.. When the fish you're targeting are 50-100 pounds, **** breaks.

Last edited by surge101 : 09-05-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:30 AM #90
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge101 View Post

Guy at the tackle shop was telling me he lost up to 13 in one day before.. When the fish you're targeting are 50-100 pounds, **** breaks.

man that has to suuuuuck. 13 in one day is probably like what, 3-400 bucks in jigs, stingers and other rigging? i think that is a red flag that you need to beef up your gear.

ive lost some pretty expensive gear fishing for musky and ever since i have been fishing with 50lb+ braid and 150lb+ steel leaders. losing $20 xraps and $30 swim baits is not worth it
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM #91
Corrupt_Paintball

Corrupt_Paintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

www.HomeBrewedTackle.com - No vertical jigs though...lol...We are hoping to use this site to finance a larger site, and expand into saltwater. I feel like there is a lot of money in the saltwater tackle business, the only problem is it takes a lot of money to get started

But, I buy a lot of my saltwater gear from www.TheHullTruth.com forums. Right now there are a few guys who are selling vertical jigs for some extremely reasonable prices IMO. Here is one I could find really quickly:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-...lures-com.html
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM #92
surge101
Hayley?

Quote:
man that has to suuuuuck. 13 in one day is probably like what, 3-400 bucks in jigs, stingers and other rigging? i think that is a red flag that you need to beef up your gear.

ive lost some pretty expensive gear fishing for musky and ever since i have been fishing with 50lb+ braid and 150lb+ steel leaders. losing $20 xraps and $30 swim baits is not worth it
He didn't seem to mind at all, he lost 13 jigs, but he said he also caught 26 kings that day. As for the losses it would be expensive, but not THAT expensive. Here is a 97g jig, which is the primary jig size I will be using

That cost me $9 at the local tackle shop. I could probably find them for $6 or so online. If I step up the size to 200-300 grams i'm looking at $8-13 online, and $10-$16 in the tackle shops. Those come with the hooks, but if I wanted to swap them out, I wouldn't buy the pre-made one's. I would buy the kevlar braid, tubing, and hooks, and make it myself. In the long run that will cost me half of what people pay for the premade stingers.

Quote:
www.HomeBrewedTackle.com - No vertical jigs though...lol...We are hoping to use this site to finance a larger site, and expand into saltwater. I feel like there is a lot of money in the saltwater tackle business, the only problem is it takes a lot of money to get started

But, I buy a lot of my saltwater gear from www.TheHullTruth.com forums. Right now there are a few guys who are selling vertical jigs for some extremely reasonable prices IMO. Here is one I could find really quickly:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/fishing-...lures-com.html
Ah, I actually spoke to the guy the owns victorylures on another forum. I'll probably end up ordering some stuff from him when I stock up before my next jigging trip.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 AM #93
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

see i am way to freaking lazy to make my own stingers. kind of funny since i am willing to tie my own flies (i suck at it but i am learning) and that is a lot harder.

you might be getting a little order soon sir :3. 1 buck for super chunk jr trailers...not shabby at all

Last edited by imhungry : 09-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM #94
Corrupt_Paintball

Quote:
Ah, I actually spoke to the guy the owns victorylures on another forum. I'll probably end up ordering some stuff from him when I stock up before my next jigging trip.
He looks like he has some quality jigs. I know there is one other guy on there who makes them with a squid shape head, but I couldn't find the thread. Jigging looks like it would be a blast. I can't want to actually give it a try.

Quote:
see i am way to freaking lazy to make my own stingers. kind of funny since i am willing to tie my own flies (i suck at it but i am learning) and that is a lot harder.

you might be getting a little order soon sir :3. 1 buck for super chunk jr trailers...not shabby at all
We found those in a "sale" bin at a local store. Whenever I see that my first reaction is to always ask how much for everything, then offer half of that. Most of the time it just pisses people off, but every once in a while it works.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM #95
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

subscribed for a few months to this: http://mysterytacklebox.com/

past boxes have been pretty solid. excited to for my first one to get here.

also, kayak people, i am looking at the wilderness tarpoon 120 http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...on_120_angler/

still pretty new to this but i have heard excellent things about wilderness systems. are there any other, cheaper brands that make a product comparable?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 PM #96
surge101
Hayley?

Quote:
subscribed for a few months to this: http://mysterytacklebox.com/

past boxes have been pretty solid. excited to for my first one to get here.

also, kayak people, i am looking at the wilderness tarpoon 120 http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pro...on_120_angler/

still pretty new to this but i have heard excellent things about wilderness systems. are there any other, cheaper brands that make a product comparable?
I've heard good things about ocean kayak... it's been what I planned to buy for a while. Even though it's called ocean kayak, I don't see how it would make a difference in freshwater. Unfortunately, I could never get into yaking, because going out into the ocean on a kayak is simply something that isn't a good idea to do alone IMHO, and it's very hard to get friends to make thousand dollar investments with me.

In other news spent $100 in jigs today, and feel like I still need more. :/
Old 09-06-2012, 08:07 PM #97
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

Quote:
I've heard good things about ocean kayak... it's been what I planned to buy for a while. Even though it's called ocean kayak, I don't see how it would make a difference in freshwater. Unfortunately, I could never get into yaking, because going out into the ocean on a kayak is simply something that isn't a good idea to do alone IMHO, and it's very hard to get friends to make thousand dollar investments with me.

In other news spent $100 in jigs today, and feel like I still need more. :/
going out anywhere alone on a kayak is not a good idea but i have been known to do stupid **** in the past. i wont go out on lake erie past the break walls or anything, **** i wont even do that in a 14 foot bass boat. i looked into ocean kayak and they look awesome, just do not know of a dealer anywhere near me. i am not opposed to having one shipped in, though.

EDIT: the prowler series is really nice. insane capacity for a 11' kayak

Last edited by imhungry : 09-06-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 PM #98
ikilledkenny
♥pballin16♥

ikilledkenny is a Supporting Member
ikilledkenny donated to help Peyton Trent
ikilledkenny has achieved Level 7 in PbNation Pursuit
ikilledkenny is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
ikilledkenny is Legendary
ikilledkenny is Boss
ikilledkenny is Immortal
look at the jackson cuda. heard nothing but great things about it so far. its my next kayak once i get funds.
R.I.P Harbinger[TG] 12/16/02 - 4/18/08 (permed)
Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 PM #99
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

oh god the cuda is nice.

i hope i get the new job i am interviewing for and it comes with a nice signing bonus...
Old 09-06-2012, 09:50 PM #100
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

midman112 supports Team VICIOUS
midman112 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
midman112 plays in the APPA D5 division
Went to Academy while I was out today and picked up some bass stuff on clearance. Had XR50 real craw cranks for $1.88 and they had the Chris Lane Ugly Otter's for $.88 per package. Pretty sweet deals, especially since I went in there just to browse. Was hoping to find some square bills on sale but was disappointed.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:48 PM #101
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

steelhead started their run in a few of the rivers around here.

to say i am excited is an understatement. i think i am going to head to the northern rocky river after the browns game and throw a few spoons.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:28 PM #102
surge101
Hayley?

Fishing sucked last night. My local party boat also offers 10 passes for $250. Which saves me like $110 every 10 trips. I'll be on the boat a lot more often.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:53 PM #103
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

midman112 supports Team VICIOUS
midman112 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
midman112 plays in the APPA D5 division
Anybody who does bass fishing from time to time care to recommend a fluorocarbon line that is relatively cheap but still a good quality line? Only going to be using on a spinning set up for wacky rig and shakey head.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 AM #104
Corrupt_Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by midman112 View Post
Anybody who does bass fishing from time to time care to recommend a fluorocarbon line that is relatively cheap but still a good quality line? Only going to be using on a spinning set up for wacky rig and shakey head.
I use Seaguar Inviz-x 99.9% of the time. But, it can be a little expensive. I have used the Seaguar Red Label, and it's a bit cheaper and I haven't had much trouble with it.

Have you thought about running braid and then just using a fluorocarbon leader? That way you can make fluoro last a lot longer and don't have to worry about the ill effects of the line (twist). Also, its easy to go from 6lb line to 12lb if you want, just by clipping off the old leader and tying on a new one.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 AM #105
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

Quote:
I use Seaguar Inviz-x 99.9% of the time. But, it can be a little expensive. I have used the Seaguar Red Label, and it's a bit cheaper and I haven't had much trouble with it.

Have you thought about running braid and then just using a fluorocarbon leader? That way you can make fluoro last a lot longer and don't have to worry about the ill effects of the line (twist). Also, its easy to go from 6lb line to 12lb if you want, just by clipping off the old leader and tying on a new one.

inviz-x is the best bang for your buck. red label is alright too but its only like a buck or 2 cheaper than inviz-x IIRC. i have a spool of tatsu sitting on my desk waiting for my new reel to get here, that **** is supposed to be crazy awesome line and i had to try it out.

braid with a fluoro or mono leader is also what i prefer to do. i run a full spool of fluoro on my spinning set up since i mainly use it in rivers with tons of snags and it gets annoying to replace the leader every 10 casts.

oh yea, i bought another reel. quantum smoke PT 150 baitcast reel. brand new for $145 bucks (originally 210), i could not resist. i need to get a rod for it and i want to try something that is not st. croix, not sure who to go with though. mainly going to use it for crank baitss

Last edited by imhungry : 09-13-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Closed Thread