PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 PM #232
Corrupt_Paintball

has been a member for 10 years
Corrupt_Paintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
For the largemouth, it's hard to beat a texas rig worm. I grew up fishing small ponds and my favorite bait at that time was a 7 inch berkley power worm, ribbon tail in black and a small bullet weight. I caught so many fish on that rig it is unreal.

For the catfish, I like to use chicken livers and just toss them out on the bottom. No weight or anything, and just wait for them to swim by and eat it.

Ever wonder what the actual motor in a trolling motor looks like? Well I fixed mine this weekend and had to pull it totally out. Pretty easy job, and pretty cool seeing how it all works:

Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 PM #233
imhungry (Banned)

if you take chicken livers or chicken guts and mix it with some crushed up garlic it works real well for cats. take the mix and shove it in some nylon stockings and make little balls then freeze them. throw the balls on the hook with some weight (if its floating) and fish it off the bottom. since it is frozen it will slowly release scent over time. the bloodier the better.

you also might want to beef up your gear for cats. channels can get pretty large and blues and flatheads get freaking huge. if you are in smaller ponds i can all but guarantee you will never see a flathead (or a blue for that matter, althought a 80 pounder washed up dead in a smaller, man made lake here a few years back)

as for bass senko worms wacky or texas rigged will kill it. fish them slow and you get hits. ribbon tail worm with a bullet weight also slays them. basically soft plastics are your friend.

edit: got my second mystery tackle box in the mail today (mysterytacklebox.com) and i am pretty impressed so far. last month it was a bunch of soft plastics and hooks. this month it was a double swim rig thing, some fluorocarbon swivels (pretty cool **** IMO), a lipless crank and a compact spinnerbait. mostly all name brand stuff, some smaller company things as well. definitely worth getting at least one month ($4.99 for your first month).

Last edited by imhungry : 11-14-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:49 AM #234
surge101
word

surge101 supports Team VICIOUS
Would you guys recommend braid for a spinner bass fishing? When I go bass fishing I try to use extremely light tackle just to try to make every catch interesting. By extremely light, I use a Daiwa Mini Spin, the thing is tiny. I originally bought it use it to sabiki sardines and pilchard when im saltwater bridge fishing. I really haven't had anything make it difficult for me to catch, but the other day I caught a 4lb (guessing by eye, didn't actually weigh it) or so bass that I had to just hold the spool and crank him in carefully not to loose all my line. So I was thinking braid might give me some more capacity and I can still keep using the light gear. Some 10lb braid would be good? I'm not a big fan of braid, the only thing I use braid for is on my vertical jigging set ups, only because you just need the line capacity when your fighting 25-75 pound fish.

Also, is there any good fighting freshwater fish i'm missing out on in florida? I see up north there is pike, musky, walleye, I don't think i've seen anything remotely resembling them in my freshwater. The biggest fish i've pulled out of my waters are gar and mudfish, both of which fight like a sardine. I know we have snakeheads somewhere, I have to find the location.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM #235
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

midman112 plays in the MiLP
midman112 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
midman112 supports Team VICIOUS
midman112 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by surge101 View Post
Would you guys recommend braid for a spinner bass fishing? When I go bass fishing I try to use extremely light tackle just to try to make every catch interesting. By extremely light, I use a Daiwa Mini Spin, the thing is tiny. I originally bought it use it to sabiki sardines and pilchard when im saltwater bridge fishing. I really haven't had anything make it difficult for me to catch, but the other day I caught a 4lb (guessing by eye, didn't actually weigh it) or so bass that I had to just hold the spool and crank him in carefully not to loose all my line. So I was thinking braid might give me some more capacity and I can still keep using the light gear. Some 10lb braid would be good? I'm not a big fan of braid, the only thing I use braid for is on my vertical jigging set ups, only because you just need the line capacity when your fighting 25-75 pound fish.

Also, is there any good fighting freshwater fish i'm missing out on in florida? I see up north there is pike, musky, walleye, I don't think i've seen anything remotely resembling them in my freshwater. The biggest fish i've pulled out of my waters are gar and mudfish, both of which fight like a sardine. I know we have snakeheads somewhere, I have to find the location.
It may be the kind of braid you are using which results in you not enjoying it. You seem pretty knowledgable so I doubt you are using a pound test too high for your reel, but I've seen it happen before. I personally use Power Pro braid, I find it is the best braid I have tried and I've been through a lot. One thing you may want to try is braid line conditioner, I can't remember the name of it but my uncle gave me some and it keeps you from having to "break in" the line per say. As for stronger fresh water fish, big cats always put up a good fight, snake heads are good fighters as well as large bowfin.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM #236
Corrupt_Paintball

Carp are excellent fighters as well. As far as the braid goes, I think you will be fine with 10lb unless you are fishing in heavy cover.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM #237
cvm973
Supra owner

Anyone else marlin fish
Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 PM #238
Animal_Mother (Banned)

Welp, ice fishing is right around the corner. Got my tip up respooled and auger blades sharpened, ready to rock this ****. Hopefully get more ice than last year, I wasn't too thrilled about going out on an inch and a half of ice last winter. God knows I did anyway though.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM #239
Corrupt_Paintball

I wouldn't be thrilled about going out on any ice at all. ****'s cold...lol
Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 AM #240
imhungry (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt_Paintball View Post
I wouldn't be thrilled about going out on any ice at all. ****'s cold...lol
its actually not that bad once you get a shack set up and stuff. its pretty comfortable tbh.

i lost about 40 bucks in spoons (like 12?) this weekend. a couple were because i was fishing light mono and hooking 10-15lb steelhead and they would break the line on a piece of rebar or a rock or i would lose them to snags...kinda sucked.

did manage to land 3 and lose 2 an the 1 hour i had to fish saturday and a few more on sunday. got a couple drifting spawn sacks and a 1 on a streamer fly as well
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 AM #241
surge101
word

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvm973 View Post
Anyone else marlin fish
I do when I can. I don't have a boat and it costs me about $600 to go out on a charter for Marlin, so I can't say I do it all that often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal_Mother View Post
Welp, ice fishing is right around the corner. Got my tip up respooled and auger blades sharpened, ready to rock this ****. Hopefully get more ice than last year, I wasn't too thrilled about going out on an inch and a half of ice last winter. God knows I did anyway though.
Anytime I go up North I'm always hoping someone im visiting will take me ice fishing, but I feel as though they are more clueless about it than I am... I live in Miami, so doing anything on ice is novelty for me.

and also, I don't know why i've never used an xrap before... I've been tearing up the macks in saltwater with them, and bass in freshwater.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 AM #242
imhungry (Banned)

xrap's are great but their best hardbait is the shadrap IMO. its just an amazing all around bait with great action.

as for ice fishing it has been too warm in ohio the last few winters but i went in michigan a couple times and it is a blast. if you dont catch anything no worries since you still get drunk as hell in a little shack. ice fishing gear is also SUPER cheap by comparison
Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 PM #243
Animal_Mother (Banned)

No doubt on the getting drunk part. I have more fun ice fishing than open water.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:23 AM #244
surge101
word

Yo I decided to check out dicks sporting goods for their Black Friday deals, it's buy one get one half off on lures. I just loaded up on xraps and Shadraps. Head out there!

Edit: and I just looked at what they put in the bag, they give you a coupon for 20 off your next purchase of 100 or more, might swing back later in the week and buy a new set up.

Last edited by surge101 : 11-23-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 AM #245
bam wannabe
i actually hate Bam.

bam wannabe helped look for balloons
bam wannabe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i miss living in the west coast solely because there was a Dick's right across the street from my apartment. the only big store by me is sports authority, or a gander mountain 30 minutes away.

but a local tackle shop is apparently having a huge black friday sale, i might have to go check it out.

pbreview feedback
old pbnation feedback

XBL gamertag: lazy ninja PBN
Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 AM #246
The Grazing Gazelle
Gazelle Grazing The

The Grazing Gazelle is playing at Living Legends III
The Grazing Gazelle is for the Gunfight
The Grazing Gazelle supports Sherwood Forest
The Grazing Gazelle supports Pev's Paintball
Gonna be passing through bass pro, gander mountain, and maybe dicks todays then up on my way to lake kissimmee for some duck hunting and some fishing
It has been eaten by the bear
Old 11-23-2012, 12:33 PM #247
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

midman112 plays in the MiLP
midman112 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
midman112 supports Team VICIOUS
midman112 plays in the APPA D4 division
The Dick's stores around me are much more expensive than the Academy stores I go to. Not to mention Academy always has some super badass deals.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM #248
hedgehogsforprez

hedgehogsforprez is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by midman112 View Post
The Dick's stores around me are much more expensive than the Academy stores I go to. Not to mention Academy always has some super badass deals.
Hell's yes to that. I go to academy way more than I should. Always pass through the clearance section and racks, found Columbia fishing shirts for 10 bucks, underarmor long sleeves for like 3 bucks at the end of last winter. I've seen $100 Allstar rods go for $30 with a reel, i bought a $100 Abu rod for $40 just recently. My wife hates academy...
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 PM #249
bam wannabe
i actually hate Bam.

bam wannabe helped look for balloons
bam wannabe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i didn't buy a damn thing at the tackle shop on black friday. luckily, i'm good friends with someone that works there and he said it doesn't matter. as long as i purchase something before x-mas he'll honor the price.

i fell in love with an Okuma rod while i was there. honestly, Okuma has gone from a wal-mart brand, to a damn respectable brand.
i will most likely buy this rod and slap a penn battle 8000 on it to wreck the spinner sharks when they migrate here in the next couple of months.

link to rod

seriously? it's a freaking 200 pound class SPINNING rod. the tip was so sensitive that i would use it for snook fishing (which my friend at the shop owns one for), but it has the backbone of some of my shark rods.
plus my friend i regularly go shark fishing with said he plans on making some wooden plugs with 11/0 j hooks for the spinner sharks.
it's one thing for me to kayak out a bait and wait for a hit, but it's totally different for me to actually watch a shark follow a plug and slam it in the surf. i am... excited.

pbreview feedback
old pbnation feedback

XBL gamertag: lazy ninja PBN
Old 11-25-2012, 01:29 AM #250
paintballdj22

paintballdj22 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paintballdj22 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paintballdj22 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
paintballdj22 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Went out to Eagle Valley, NV today with the family. Caught about 15 rainbow and brown trout but only kept 6 of the bigger ones. Was a really fun and relaxing day.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM #251
ikilledkenny
Noob forum OT OG

Annual Supporting Member
ikilledkenny is a Supporting Member
ikilledkenny donated to help Peyton Trent
ikilledkenny has achieved Level 7 in PbNation Pursuit
ikilledkenny is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
ikilledkenny is Legendary
ikilledkenny is Boss
ikilledkenny is Immortal
Might have 6 days off starting December 6. Thinking of heading to New York for steelhead fishing if any of my friends want to go..except very few of my friends fish. Lame
R.I.P Harbinger[TG] 12/16/02 - 4/18/08 (permed)
Old 11-26-2012, 08:59 AM #252
imhungry (Banned)

yea okuma makes some decent stuff now. i have an okuma center pin reel and an inspira reel on my UL rig. both have worked great.

quantum is another brand that is freaking amazing now. i absolutely love their newer gear
Closed Thread