Annual Supporting Member
Orvis09 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Orvis09 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Orvis09 supports our troops
Orvis09 plays in the APPA D5 division
Orvis09 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Orvis09 is Legendary
Orvis09 supports DLX Technology
Fishing Thread V7: You tie a fly onto that? How does it stay on and catch fish?

Ready. Go.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2012, 01:51 AM #2
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

has been a member for 10 years
JEEEEE

going to the lake erie islands for the rest of the week and will hopefully get a few lines out. walleye are in the shallows right now due to tons of bait fish so hopefully i can get some off the dock

boat is roached on account of it hitting a sand bar yesterday and it needs 2 new props and a drive shaft so we will be boatless for half the trip
Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 AM #3
hedgehogsforprez

hedgehogsforprez is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry
JEEEEE

going to the lake erie islands for the rest of the week and will hopefully get a few lines out. walleye are in the shallows right now due to tons of bait fish so hopefully i can get some off the dock

boat is roached on account of it hitting a sand bar yesterday and it needs 2 new props and a drive shaft so we will be boatless for half the trip
Kinda boat?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:09 PM #4
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

he has a 30 foot big *** thing with a cabin and ****. IE not a fishing boat but you could easily use it for fishing. the trip is mainly to get drunk and make poor life decisions but i would also like to get some fishing in.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:24 PM #5
Nah 85
- muted -

Nah 85 supports Team VICIOUS
I'm trying to decide if I want to grab this baitcasting setup on cl (penn long beach 60 with a rod) which I have no experience on or just get a spinning setup for the same price which is in the 30ish range.

For salt water. I would like to use spinner for reds.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:53 PM #6
bam wannabe
i actually hate Bam.

bam wannabe helped look for balloons
bam wannabe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
if you're using it as a literal baitcasting reel, idk about that. i use my longbeach for bottom fishing, and the occasional cast off the beach for spinner sharks. i couldn't imagine using it to literally cast and reel continuously. just get a spinning setup if you want to go after reds and fish of the like.

pbreview feedback
old pbnation feedback

XBL gamertag: lazy ninja PBN
Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 PM #7
maxearing

maxearing has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I use a longbeach for shark fishing. I kayak it out, I can't imagine casting it. It works but I would really like a bigger reel.
edit: i went out to the lake to go fishing with a friend and when we go there we realized we for got the rods, so we just went for a swim.

Legalize

Last edited by maxearing : 07-27-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 PM #8
Watermelondrea
Ridin' in that 'Gatti

Advice on a new rod/reel setup? I don't do any special fishing, mainly just bass, carp and other fish of the like. I like to cast and reel and my only two criteria are that it's not too expensive (don't fish more than once-twice a week) and it's strong enough to hold a good sized Large Mouth.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 AM #9
midman112
Lawd Oh Lawd

midman112 supports Team VICIOUS
midman112 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
midman112 plays in the APPA D5 division
The Abu Garcia Orra is a really nice reel for the money. Very smooth casting and reeling. It is the reel I use on my deep cranking rod.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:06 AM #10
Corrupt_Paintball

Corrupt_Paintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelondrea View Post
Advice on a new rod/reel setup? I don't do any special fishing, mainly just bass, carp and other fish of the like. I like to cast and reel and my only two criteria are that it's not too expensive (don't fish more than once-twice a week) and it's strong enough to hold a good sized Large Mouth.
Spinning or bait casting? Also, look into a 6'6" - 7', Medium Heavy rod. IMO that is about the best all around action and size you can use. If you are shorter, or fish from the bank much, the 6'6" would be a little easier to handle. But the 7' will let you cast further and also will usually have a little more tip action than the shorter rod.

As far as brands, if you have a Bass Pro near by, their house brands are pretty decent. I really like the Extreme line of rods, and sometimes they will go on sale for around $60 - $70 I believe.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM #11
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

rod wise i always go st. croix. there higher end is expensive but you can get a triumph for around 70 bucks and it is a nice rod. go medium heavy and anywhere from 6'6"-7'7", depending on if you fish deep or not. if you fish deeper water a longer rod with a fast tip will make it easier to set hooks. if you are more carp fishing you might want to look at medium heavy or meatier.

as for nice, cheaper reels abu makes some great ones. quantum accurist (both spinning and caster) is nice, lews also makes a great reel. shimano is also worth checking out but tbh their newer products are not as nice as their older stuff.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 PM #12
DRock
Resident Rocket Scientist

Just paid $750 to go on a striper charter out of Chatam after not having done one for ~10 years. Last one was great, we trolled umbrella rigs through the rips and caught a ton of stripers and blues but this time they jumped around to different spots and we all sat there vertical jigging.

We didn't catch a single striper, only 3 blues, and maybe ten dogfish.

What gives...?

I am new to ocean fishing but we killed them trolling umbrella rigs last time so why don't all the charter companies fish that way? Did we just get stuck with a ****ty charter company who didn't want to waste gas and not have to deal with having lines out the back?

Just curious...would like to try to prevent that from happening again.

But now I kinda want to buy a Boston Whaler and learn how to do it properly.

ST:Almost Serious
Old 07-30-2012, 01:44 PM #13
Corrupt_Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRock View Post
Just paid $750 to go on a striper charter out of Chatam after not having done one for ~10 years. Last one was great, we trolled umbrella rigs through the rips and caught a ton of stripers and blues but this time they jumped around to different spots and we all sat there vertical jigging.

We didn't catch a single striper, only 3 blues, and maybe ten dogfish.

What gives...?

I am new to ocean fishing but we killed them trolling umbrella rigs last time so why don't all the charter companies fish that way? Did we just get stuck with a ****ty charter company who didn't want to waste gas and not have to deal with having lines out the back?

Just curious...would like to try to prevent that from happening again.

But now I kinda want to buy a Boston Whaler and learn how to do it properly.

It's fishing. One day they can be biting great and the next day nothing. We troll umbrellas here and some days it will be awesome and other days it will be nothing but a giant waste of gas.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM #14
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

yea we have the same issues with walleye. sometimes we will troll for them and catch nothing but then we will throw some deep diving cranks or drop shinners on a splitter and clean up.

btw, if you are looking for new gear the new Abu stuff that is coming out in like a month is supposed to be amazing. the new casting reel really impressed at icast

Last edited by imhungry : 07-30-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:44 PM #15
Woodsballerpcb

Sorry I missed your post Corrupt, was on vacation. But no, we had no seaweed whatsoever that week. Was a really good week for fishing too.
As for stingrays, the best way is to toss a towel over their barb and flip em over to get the hook out, flip em back over and grab them by the tail(with the towel around the barb still) and spiracles to carry em back to the water if you want to release them. I hate to break their barbs off as that is really their only form of defense if you release them.

I have decide that im not gonna bother with buying a kayak for fishing; I am however going to take my jet ski out and fish of off it next weekend.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 AM #16
Corrupt_Paintball

It's cool man. We may be heading in your direction (Destin) for our next trip. Evidently a friend of a friend has some passes to stay at some place in Destin for free. It's still just talk, but we may be heading that way in the not too distant future.

I was thinking of trying to get a large freezer to keep bait. That would make our lives 100 times easier for when we do make these trips. It sucks trying to scout out and area for bait, and sometimes the prices are pretty out there. Plus, when we are able to catch bait, it would allow us to keep it. The only thing that would suck is keeping stuff frozen for the trips to and fro, but it would be a lot easier than dumping $200 in bait because you didn't catch a damn thing (like we did last time).

On a totally different subject, the little business that my wife and I are starting up just got some stickers made. If anyone wants a couple, shoot me your name/address in a PM and I'll mail a few over. Don't want the put a picture or name in the thread for the forum police to see

Last edited by Corrupt_Paintball : 08-01-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:16 PM #17
Woodsballerpcb

Destin has some good fishing, make sure you check the regulations in the city though. We got in some trouble for shark fishing off of the beach there a while back.
If I had room in my condo for a deep freeze then I would love to get one to keep all my bait in, as of right now I have 2 bonita in the bottom of our kitchen freezer. That doesnt go over too well with the ladies lol.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:36 PM #18
Corrupt_Paintball

Nice, yeah I know some places are like that about shark fishing. Honestly I was thinking we would need to find some less busy beaches. I've only been to Destin a few times, but each time it was pretty busy on the beach. Way too many people to try and fish. If we do end up heading that way, I will hit you up for sure to see if you have any suggestions on places we could fish and not get in trouble.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:52 AM #19
Woodsballerpcb

Definitely do that. There are some great spots down that way to fish. I think I have a map around here somewhere of the destin area of good spots we have over there to fish this time of year.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 PM #20
Corrupt_Paintball

This thread is pretty dead. How about everyone post pics of their fishing gear? Maybe that will get some conversation going.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 PM #21
hedgehogsforprez

hedgehogsforprez is a founding member
Not much, but the boat is payed off Feb. next year, 18 1/2ft w/ 90 Yamaha

My two boys first trip on it.

My oldest on the right after he decided to fall out the boat...

Closed Thread