PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM #22
dang
betty

has been a member for 10 years
I think postal played a psp or 2 this year. And that sucks because the worst part about playing the psp is that it costs so much money, and then most can't afford to play their local tournament series. If you don't play your local series though, odds are you won't do great in the PSP, unless you are in a super established system with plenty of people of different skill levels to practice against. Or unless you are in a hot bed of high level teams. The most successful PSP teams from our region have always played in and done well in their local series.
I wish Breakout would put 2 d3 teams in the CFOA. I would love to see d3 take back off in our region.
Paintball Central
GUNS FOR SALE
dang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:56 PM #23
grback
PBA stats

grback owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
05-07 were amazing year for cfoa , i truly miss those days, players were players. With the boom of the cfoa in those days we had ppl watching and involved with the event process that decided to open there own leagues (and stealing logos ) to get in on the paintball explosion . we had players from Tn,Va,Fla,Ga,La,NC,Sc,Ala. Now how many leagues are just with in a 3 state area ?!!. So players don't have to travel, get room ,and spend that money when they are able to play an event in there back yard, at a lower cost . yes with the economy pushed these players to either fall out or find something closer and cheaper , and now that we are coming out of this those team that were involved in 06/07 now have found home leagues( like my good friend LAST CALL and ANIMOSITY ) or now have jobs ,families, etc and or out of paintball all together . 2nd , players have a whole lot of options now , places to play , formats , turf, grass, indoor ,outdoor ,. don't get me wrong options are always a good thing . With all these leagues fighting for teams (taking to keep teams) running this format or another , the cfoa or any other regional league will never be that big again .PSP is not even pulling the team count they did in those days , and the nppl has almost went belly up twice since then . SO money has everything to do with where the sport is right now.
As far as players involved in the leagues, what ombres said has a lot of weight behind . Before the divisions day we had rookie ,nov,am, . each rookie played a nov ,nov played Ams , I looked forward to playing these teams above my ranking to see where I was at as a player , and also to let the higher ranked team know that playing my team you may win but it d*** sure wouldn't be a cake walk AND we faced team like gridlock (blue,yellow,red,blk,grn, org, they were alot!!!) gang related, running wild , xsf , just to name a few. I think this year with a few teams that will move up there will be a successful d3 division next year , plus the d3 teams that are out there waiting to play . will make for a fun next year , with some of the d6 guys building a team for d5 ,and d5 building teams for d4 . I look forward to having all 3 divisions competing in the cfoa , and the other tricks and events we have up our sleeves .

Last edited by grback : 08-02-2012 at 09:41 PM.
grback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 PM #24
wc!
In periculo, nos jubete

wc! is a Supporting Member
wc! donated to help Peyton Trent
My .02 cents on the numbers demise...

I can't throw a rock in my hood without hitting someone that used to play paintball, but I can't name one of them that still plays. Everyone that I know that stopped playing went on to something else because they either became disinterested, or they just didn't want to invest the time on the weekend to get up early, get geared up, play for a few minutes, then clean up and go back home again.

It wasn't the economy, the sand bagging, the retailers, the manufacturers, the tourney kids shooting up the newbs, the e-dealers, the lack of prizes, or any other reason that I've seen floating around. I'm sure those things effected a small percentage of players, but it seems to me that the numbers are down because, to most of the masses that played in its prime, paintball was just a fad. A fringe extreme sport that was the cool thing to do at the time. They probably moved on to poker because of ESPN, or they started MMA because of the UFC.

Paintball will come back around in a few years, and when it does, you'll probably be able to point to JTs Splatmaster product as the kick starter.

My .02 cents on the good old days...

On another note, back then, the CFOA was a different animal. I remember playing rec ball and seeing the tourney teams practicing and thinking "we could take them". I remember signing up for our first 5 man with our mech cockers and jumping into the tourney fray. We got smashed but it was all good because it was pretty cheap and we had fun. We played alongside our friends, did some milk-chugging, egg-eating, and did it all to the sounds of a DJ. I remember getting killer deals from the on site vendors like Paintball Kingdom, NPS, and Boost. And when the day was done, we packed up our ****ty 2-4 record and headed to the players party for drinks and more good times.

Nowadays, before you try a regional 5-man, you better do your research on the format, the rules, the requirements, the ROF, the protected colors, etc... There won't be any vendors to browse and most teams will be pretty uptight and treating it like a job because they've spent too much time and money practicing to risk failure. It's just not the same player friendly vibe it used to be.

But then again, these are all just opinions from an old guy
wc! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:55 AM #25
Mr. Bishi
Get at ya boiiiiii!

Mr. Bishi plays in the PSP
Mr. Bishi owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Mr. Bishi supports Team VICIOUS
Mr. Bishi plays in the APPA D3 division
Mr. Bishi has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I want player parties............

Border Patrol #68
MMPhotography
Mr. Bishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM #26
overshot01
Social Paintball

overshot01 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc! View Post
treating it like a job because they've spent too much time and money practicing to risk failure. It's just not the same player friendly vibe it used to be.
this makes most sense to me.
overshot01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 PM #27
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by grback View Post
As far as players involved in the leagues, what ombres said has a lot of weight behind . Before the divisions day we had rookie ,nov,am, . each rookie played a nov ,nov played Ams ,
Bring this back! This would be a great thing to re-introduce to the CFOA and I think would help teams see where they stand as a unit and if they feel they might be ready for the bump up. I've refereed for the last few events. Twice for D5, once for D4. And I have to say, there is certainly some sandbagging. I see several teams that seem ready to move up to the next level in both divisions and the ability to test their mettle against higher classed teams would help show a lot of them that. I know not all teams have the luxury of practicing with teams who play higher divisions and that would be a solid substitute.

Also.. I'm game for player parties...

CFOA/PSP Certified Referee
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 PM #28
Atmosfearballer
Carolina Cup Liaison

has been a member for 10 years
Atmosfearballer plays in the PSP
Atmosfearballer donated to help Peyton Trent
Atmosfearballer plays in the APPA D3 division
Did somebody say party?

I'm in!!!

HATE Squad 2012, 2013, 2014
Carolina Cup Series - Separating the Men and Women, from the Boys and Girls!
Atmosfearballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 AM #29
Borg_
F16 Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc! View Post
My .02 cents on the numbers demise...

I can't throw a rock in my hood without hitting someone that used to play paintball, but I can't name one of them that still plays. Everyone that I know that stopped playing went on to something else because they either became disinterested, or they just didn't want to invest the time on the weekend to get up early, get geared up, play for a few minutes, then clean up and go back home again.

It wasn't the economy, the sand bagging, the retailers, the manufacturers, the tourney kids shooting up the newbs, the e-dealers, the lack of prizes, or any other reason that I've seen floating around. I'm sure those things effected a small percentage of players, but it seems to me that the numbers are down because, to most of the masses that played in its prime, paintball was just a fad. A fringe extreme sport that was the cool thing to do at the time. They probably moved on to poker because of ESPN, or they started MMA because of the UFC.
I agree with this part. Also IMO with a sport that can be a fad, people only want to play for 2-3 years before they get bored of it or want to spend their money elsewhere. Therefore the higher divisions don't exist locally because everyone's ready to try something new now. Again this is my opinion.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:07 PM #30
diver31165
Out the door

diver31165 plays in the APPA D4 division
2005 thru 2008 were amazing years for cfoa paintabll. If went downhill from there for alot of reasons. The compitition used to be incrediable no team was a push over you played your A game or you could get your *** handed to you quick. Cfoa teams placed well in PSP events almost every time they played there. My personal opinion is reclassing players helped to kill the cfoa. When people complained about it they were told to just sack up or play somewhere else. Looks like alot of the players decided to play somewhere else. I really miss the compitition and thrill of the game but dont miss the BS at all.

"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling
a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"!

Paintball Central Greenville
diver31165 is offline   Reply With Quote