Community Focus

Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 AM #1
impygimpy247
i dont like rap

has been a member for 10 years
impygimpy247 plays in the PSP
impygimpy247 plays in the APPA D4 division
What happened?

First off, I dont intend this post to be rude or directed towards anyone in particular.

Back in 2005 and 2006 I played on a team called Pain Inc Black before and during my first year of college and we played Novice; this was obviously back before the divisionals came. Anyway, I remember that in rookie there were probably over 60 teams at each event and somewhere around like 40 or 50 at each event in the novice division.

Now I understand that the economy isnt what it used to be, but what in the hell happened? I am thinking of getting back into the sport and out of curiousity I went to the APPA website to look at recent CFOA events and I am seeing like 8 to 15 teams per division?
impygimpy247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 AM #2
tj nivens

Too many sandbaggers in lower divisions. not to mention too many divisions.
tj nivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 AM #3
tjboss
Absolute Chaos

tjboss plays in the PSP
tjboss is playing at Living Legends VII
tjboss owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tjboss plays in the APPA D4 division
too many divisions for a regional series and a lot of teams went on to play PSP. Other than that people just went broke
Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 AM #4
PAINTSLINGER05

PAINTSLINGER05 is an NCPA player
PAINTSLINGER05 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjboss View Post
too many divisions for a regional series and a lot of teams went on to play PSP. Other than that people just went broke

It is definitely hard for a lot of lower division teams to get the funds together for tournaments. When entry is $500/event, and you will probably still need another $200-$300 worth of paint, it can get pricey fast for people who don't have (really good) sponsors.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 PM #5
ombres13

ombres13 plays in the PSP
ombres13 supports our troops
ombres13 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAINTSLINGER05 View Post

It is definitely hard for a lot of lower division teams to get the funds together for tournaments. When entry is $500/event, and you will probably still need another $200-$300 worth of paint, it can get pricey fast for people who don't have (really good) sponsors.
I don't believe the division has anything to do with costs.

I don't believe I've spent more than $125 for any CFOA event I've played this year. My only sponsors are Paintball Central and Seventh Element. Neither offset any tournament costs for me.

After speaking to and overhearing players- the problem (well, the D3 problem) seems to be they don't have any desire to move up in rank. I have heard players from some of the stronger teams say "I'm going to stay D4 as long as I possibly can."

Players are simply afraid of competition in this region. Teams would rather sit comfortably in the lower divisions. It's humorous to me that the 2nd place D3 team (and the team to beat that day) at Palmetto Open was a throw together of guys who haven't played to compete in years and years. Weaksauce teams and players who practice together weekend after weekend, who prefer to sandbag in lower divisions instead of bumping up to compete... afraid to play a throw together team who probably hasn't practiced in 10 years (and never as a team).

As for the lower number of teams in D4-D5, I would fault the local paintball community for that. I'm tired of hearing "the economy." I am in no way "well off" and make it happen.

I blame the community and fields. Players, teams, and fields do a piss poor job at promoting the series (and developing teams) in my opinion. Teams/players will go "practice" at a field and just beat up on newer players. Teams/players do a poor job at taking newer players and developing them.
Fields make zero effort to field a team in every division.

I've played at many fields around the Carolinas. There are a lot of "speedball" players out there. It's extremely frustrating when you look at the APPA Event info and only see a handful of teams signing up.

tldr? summary- Players in the Carolinas are a bunch of cry baby wankers who don't care to get any better, talk a big game, and are generally afraid of competition. I blame participation trophies in little leagues. I also blame Daniel Combs.
ombres13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 PM #6
fallen9210
RIP Xball

fallen9210 is a Paintball photographer
fallen9210 supports Team VICIOUS
fallen9210 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombres13 View Post
I also blame Daniel Combs.
...this made me lol
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 PM #7
ErrorCode6263
[insert cool phrase here]

ErrorCode6263 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ErrorCode6263 plays in the APPA D4 division
ErrorCode6263 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ErrorCode6263 supports DLX Technology
Quote:

I don't believe I've spent more than $125 for any CFOA event I've played this year. My only sponsors are Paintball Central and Seventh Element. Neither offset any tournament costs for me.

After speaking to and overhearing players- the problem (well, the D3 problem) seems to be they don't have any desire to move up in rank. I have heard players from some of the stronger teams say "I'm going to stay D4 as long as I possibly can."

Players are simply afraid of competition in this region. Teams would rather sit comfortably in the lower divisions. It's humorous to me that the 2nd place D3 team (and the team to beat that day) at Palmetto Open was a throw together of guys who haven't played to compete in years and years. Weaksauce teams and players who practice together weekend after weekend, who prefer to sandbag in lower divisions instead of bumping up to compete... afraid to play a throw together team who probably hasn't practiced in 10 years (and never as a team).

As for the lower number of teams in D4-D5, I would fault the local paintball community for that. I'm tired of hearing "the economy." I am in no way "well off" and make it happen.

I blame the community and fields. Players, teams, and fields do a piss poor job at promoting the series (and developing teams) in my opinion. Teams/players will go "practice" at a field and just beat up on newer players. Teams/players do a poor job at taking newer players and developing them.

I've played at many fields around the Carolinas. There are a lot of "speedball" players out there. It's extremely frustrating when you look at the APPA Event info and only see a handful of teams signing up.

tldr? summary- Players in the Carolinas are a bunch of cry baby wankers who don't care to get any better, talk a big game, and are generally afraid of competition. I blame participation trophies in little leagues. I also blame Daniel Combs.
This guy is my hero.

I love to play these tournaments. I look forward to the competition of D4 every tournament I play in (I am ranked APPA beginner). I only play with other ballers who want to get better and play the best. We need more DEDICATED players as well. I see a lot of "one and done" players who play one event then say it was to hard and give up.

YourPBFriend: Best new store around!
ErrorCode6263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 PM #8
Paintballatt
Tony Baloney

Paintballatt plays in the PSP
Paintballatt plays in the APPA D3 division
Paintballatt has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I agree with ombres 100%. It is not just up to the CFOA to promote the series, it also rests on the backs of every single player and field that participates in hosting the series. Be an ambassador for the sport, and more people will want to compete. It starts with 3-man. Let's try to make next season (and the rest of this one) one for the books!

Mazens55: "When the announcers are saying "Air Assault Factory", it sounds like "Aerosol Factory". Which would make some sense considering they just got blown out by Absolute Chaos in about 10 minutes.."
Paintballatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 AM #9
Atmosfearballer
Teetering on Retirement

Atmosfearballer plays in the PSP
Atmosfearballer donated to help Peyton Trent
Atmosfearballer plays in the APPA D3 division
Ombres - 3 out of 6 of the players on my team (Hate Squad) did play as teammates about 4-5 years ago on Dark Carnival. I get what you are saying, but not sure why its humorous. Most of our team was top level D2-D3 players in our hay day. Tournament paintball is like riding a bike, you never really lose it unless your conditioning changes drastically. It only takes a game or two to get back adjusted, at least that's my philosophy. We just wanted to prove that the old guys still got it, somewhat, lol. I had several games myself where I was shooting 2-3 a game. Those doritos were crucial! We fell short of our goal though. The goal was to win. Oh well. Next time.

We have practiced 1 time in 5 years and felt very comfortable together this tournament.

We are hoping to have at least 4 teams for the Greensboro event. I know us and Upstate Army want to play. We need 2 more commitments or we don't even get to play. It's sad really. We are thinking about playing a GFOA, just so we can play, not because we want to. The "Open" division in GFOA pulls 7+ teams per event.
HATE Squad 2012, 2013, 2014
Atmosfearballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:11 AM #10
Atmosfearballer
Teetering on Retirement

Atmosfearballer plays in the PSP
Atmosfearballer donated to help Peyton Trent
Atmosfearballer plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballatt View Post
I agree with ombres 100%. It is not just up to the CFOA to promote the series, it also rests on the backs of every single player and field that participates in hosting the series. Be an ambassador for the sport, and more people will want to compete. It starts with 3-man. Let's try to make next season (and the rest of this one) one for the books!
I personally did what I could to solicit enough teams to even have the D3 division in Greenville.

And, I put on the Top Gun, which was a huge success.

I miss the days where CFOA needed 2 fulls days to finish because so many teams where playing.

See you in Maryland!
HATE Squad 2012, 2013, 2014
Atmosfearballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:14 AM #11
ombres13

ombres13 plays in the PSP
ombres13 supports our troops
ombres13 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosfearballer View Post
Ombres - 3 out of 6 of the players on my team (Hate Squad) did play as teammates about 4-5 years ago on Dark Carnival. I get what you are saying, but not sure why its humorous. Most of our team was top level D2-D3 players in our hay day. Tournament paintball is like riding a bike, you never really lose it unless your conditioning changes drastically. It only takes a game or two to get back adjusted, at least that's my philosophy. We just wanted to prove that the old guys still got it, somewhat, lol. I had several games myself where I was shooting 2-3 a game. Those doritos were crucial! We fell short of our goal though. The goal was to win. Oh well. Next time.

We have practiced 1 time in 5 years and felt very comfortable together this tournament.

We are hoping to have at least 4 teams for the Greensboro event. I know us and Upstate Army want to play. We need 2 more commitments or we don't even get to play. It's sad really. We are thinking about playing a GFOA, just so we can play, not because we want to. The "Open" division in GFOA pulls 7+ teams per event.

It's humorous because established teams have been sitting in the lower ranks for years and are afraid to compete against a throw together team.

I think you misread my point. It was't that you guys didn't play well or aren't good players- you guys were THE strongest team most of the day I think. My point is that you threw together a team to play and compete when teams who have been together for quite a while won't do so. I hope to see you guys play again- if not this season, next.
ombres13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:30 AM #12
LanderPB
PWN3D!!!!!!!!!

LanderPB is for the Gunfight
LanderPB is for the Gunfight
The sad thing is, the first two events of the season the d3 division was strong.

And while I know that statement couldn't have been aimed at EVERY player in the Carolinas about us being scared to bump up to a higher division, there are a few of us left that will step up whenever the opportunity arises.

I do agree with Ombres point about it not being the economy simply people staying in the lower divisions because it is easier. At the same time though some of those established teams have been getting crushed in d4 this year by a group of old school players who got reclassed. It happens in the best of the tournament series so its not really them being scared just not realizing how long some of the top players and teams have been around.

Charles, Sign me up for whenever you guys want to play. d3, d2, d1 or whatever....I aint skeered!
LanderPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:49 AM #13
dude1it
Christopher R.

dude1it helped look for balloons
dude1it supports Team VICIOUS
dude1it is an NCPA player
dude1it is a top reviewer
dude1it is Legendary
dude1it is Boss
dude1it is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:

MIND = BLOWN. You just said what I've been trying to put into words for years haha.

In summary, YOU = HERO haha

Pittsburgh All American Heroes 2012
dude1it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM #14
Sickfusion
MMPhotography

Annual Supporting Member
Sickfusion is a Paintball photographer
Quote:

Either they went to play PSP or as you said sit in lower division and try to sandbag but still manage to lose. People are afraid of a little competition. Just remember theres a difference between old school and new school lol.

MMPhotography
FACEBOOK
Sickfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:59 AM #15
blingman_45
Swag

blingman_45 plays in the PSP
blingman_45 plays in the APPA D3 division
.... So my name got re-posted like 10 times, probably makes me the most famous person in the CFOA threads right now.... Oh the things i have accomplished in my life.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:06 PM #16
pyromaniacs1
RIP 1016

pyromaniacs1 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
I like this point a lot. If fields from NC would try to develop their on teams, like factory teams, which used to exist in common place, we'd see more teams competing. I remember people used to talk about "PBC teams," for example, in reference to teams who played out of a certain field. Now, it seems like every team's home field is PBC, and they're all playing D4.

Carolina paintball isn't what it used to be, but that's just because the attitude has changed.

Also, a lot of people will talk about being "classed out" of the CFOA. People want to stay D4 because they can't find teams in D3. Which sounds like a vicious circle, because if your team classed up, guess what? You'd have a place to play. The only reason being D3 classes out out of CFOA is because teams refuse to compete in that division.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:42 AM #17
pbking27

Ombres we def were a throw together team but we got skills ha... the less we care the better we play... and apparently the later we stay up and drink the night before makes us play better too. and really we only have 4 people playing the entire prelims bc i was suckin giant gonads till finals ha... and Charles im def down to start playin more since im bought to be gettin paid again... Sorry again for the giant ball sucking this events ha
pbking27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM #18
Mr. Bishi
Get at ya boiiiiii!

Mr. Bishi plays in the PSP
Mr. Bishi owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Mr. Bishi supports Team VICIOUS
Mr. Bishi plays in the APPA D3 division
Mr. Bishi has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromaniacs1 View Post
I like this point a lot. If fields from NC would try to develop their on teams, like factory teams, which used to exist in common place, we'd see more teams competing. I remember people used to talk about "PBC teams," for example, in reference to teams who played out of a certain field. Now, it seems like every team's home field is PBC, and they're all playing D4.

Carolina paintball isn't what it used to be, but that's just because the attitude has changed.

Also, a lot of people will talk about being "classed out" of the CFOA. People want to stay D4 because they can't find teams in D3. Which sounds like a vicious circle, because if your team classed up, guess what? You'd have a place to play. The only reason being D3 classes out out of CFOA is because teams refuse to compete in that division.
I can tell you that Border Patrol at leasts plans on sticking together all the way up to D3, it will be a few years before we are there though.

By that time I really hope d3 showing is alot better.

Border Patrol #68
MMPhotography
Mr. Bishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 AM #19
usedpaintballstuff

usedpaintballstuff plays in the PSP
usedpaintballstuff plays in the APPA D3 division
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I agree to some degree....The D3 division has sucked (as for as # of teams) the past few years...some teams may not want to move up to take advantage of sandbagging but I bet a few are afraid they will not be any teams in D3 or like most years you cant play the weekend of tourney because there are not enough teams...
2009 Regional 3-Man Champs
2008 World Cup Champs
usedpaintballstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:45 PM #20
tj nivens

I think the top 3 d4 teams should be made to move up. this would help prevent sandbagging. and it would bring the number of teams back up..
tj nivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:06 AM #21
Paintballatt
Tony Baloney

Paintballatt plays in the PSP
Paintballatt plays in the APPA D3 division
Paintballatt has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj nivens View Post
I think the top 3 d4 teams should be made to move up. this would help prevent sandbagging. and it would bring the number of teams back up..
That actually did happen this past season. Chaos, crusaders, and postal were the top 3 teams after the TOC. They all got bumped to D3. Chaos is the only team not to fall apart out of those this season. Crusaders D3 fell apart, but then rebuilt a roster for D4. Anyone know what postal is up to?

Mazens55: "When the announcers are saying "Air Assault Factory", it sounds like "Aerosol Factory". Which would make some sense considering they just got blown out by Absolute Chaos in about 10 minutes.."
Paintballatt is offline   Reply With Quote