The below project was not indented to be photographed. Just another fun project on a new gun.
At some point during the work I decided to start taking pictures for some odd reason… But I got off 30 pics for your eyes if you so wish to follow the below mess…Go for it
I haven’t seen any custom GT’s so I thought I would share some of the work I did to mine.
Take it as it is.
In the end I am more then happy with how it turned out. The changes are not drastic. So if you own a GT then you should be able to appreciate what is below.
I do wish I took more pics from the very start..Sorry indeed.
The below is only the outcome of the work. Not the methods of how it was done. I do this for fun and absolutely enjoy making a stock gun into my own custom 1-1 creation.
Part 1 (Two pages)
Ok, So I myself never owned a Clone. I had a chance to get one so I made the jump. Gun came in and right away my eyes started to look at things to remove and change.
I had four goals I planned to get done with this Gt
1st = Shave down the upper rear part of the gun to make it more tube like and remove some weight
2nd= Round the rear latch
3rd= Remove the tail under the rear of the gun
4th= Remove any shape edges from the grip frame
The below is a picture of the GT as it was. (past owners pic). Bad lighting so check the below pic out.
Just a general GT pic I got off goggle. Great side view to compare the below to
This is when I started to take pics. I know..I kick myself in the ***.
You can see I already took the gun apart. Anno removed. These are the three parts of the gun I wanted to work on.
The Body, frame and back latch. The guts were left on the back latch to hold the latch in place while I was working on the gun.
Already you can see I removed most of the latches edge and started to round the rear of the body.
In this pic you can kinda see how the rounding is going. I still have more to remove. The tail is also removed in this pic. Once you start you gotta just go go go. Keep it slow and hope to not go to far. Both sides must be the same. See a hole in the body and its trash bound.
Back cap pic. Very rough. Still need to remove more metal.
Side pic of the gun with the back cap installed. This is what it looks like when I am working on it.
At this point I started to really realize that there is no turning back. I am fully commited to messing up the gun by removing too much material or it coming out perfectly how I wanted it. So ok, Lets go at it more. Remember..There is no template or imaging to look at to follow. No measurements to check. All hands and eyes from this point.
Side view. This shows the shape its starting to go and show how the tail is now gone.
This pic shows how uneven the top of the body is still.
At this point I thought to myself..I might want to make sure I haven’t removed too much metal off the top of the gun.. Cutting it close now. So lets just work on the sides of the gun. No more off the top for a while. Getting kinda close and anno is going to also remove a small amount.
Ok now its starting to take shape and most of the rounding from the body and back cap are done. At this point I realized most of the dangerous work was done. Just need to plain sand the gun to get its final shape. Grabbed a Coke..lol . Metal all over the garage as I get up and look around…Fine dust.
Now for some 800 grit hand sanding
Coming out nice. Cant wait to be done at this point. My hands hurt. I think I was 1 ½ hours into it..
View of how much metal I had removed off the top of the gun. Much more was removed off the upper sides for sure.
Back cap check. This was by far the hardest part. Three points of this back cap could have gone bad. One part in the below pic was hairs away from it..
Right here you can see just how close I came to cutting into the square hollow part of the latch..dude
I am 6.2 and 220 lbs. So my fingers are not as small as a 16 year old. So I removed the sharp edge on the frame to my liking. Now my hands will be happy!