Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-03-2017, 10:25 AM #1
warlordtfc

has been a member for 10 years
warlordtfc owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
warlordtfc supports DLX Technology
warlordtfc supports Ninja Paintball
HELP! How would I polish the insides of a gun? - Russian Legion Intimidator build

I'm working on a complete strip, polish, anodize, dye, and rebuild project on a Russian legion intimidator.

I stripped it as normal:

Then, I polished the outside as I'm going for a gloss finish - (this isn't done, I just got tired after 4 hours) - This is easy with just a table buffer.

Now, I'm stuck. I can't find a tool that can efficiently polish the inside without bouncing around (a dremel tool with a buffer that's too small).

Just wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts or ideas. I figure this is the place to ask.

My ideas:
Vibratory tumbler - I would hate to buy one of these and not get the desired results.
Create my own cotton wheel for a dremel. -

EDIT: Ah! I just found out about bore mops , but this wouldn't work for a larger bolt type gun like a shocker or DM. So still looking for a solution.

EDIT 2: Also looking into Flex-Hone. http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=7

Thanks,
James

Last edited by warlordtfc : 01-03-2017 at 12:56 PM.
warlordtfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2017, 02:02 AM #2
FirePro84
Airsmith - Gun Tech

Annual Supporting Member
FirePro84 is a Supporting Member
FirePro84 plays in the USPL
FirePro84 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FirePro84 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
FirePro84 supports Ninja Paintball
you honestly don't really need to polish the inside of the bores, the lower tube gets a ram sleeve, so no polishing needed there, and the upper tube gets a fairly loose fitting delrin bolt which doesn't require polishing...most anno guys don't polish inner bores once they are stripped as far as I am aware.

If you really want to try, flexhone is a decent tool, something with a very VERY fine grit, or you can use a standard swab and wrap it in very fine sandpaper, then scotch brite, then steel wool down to 0000 grade to get a decent glossy finish, but like I said before it's nothing that will be seen and the tolerances are not super great anyway, so....yea.

I definitely wouldn't touch the insides of a spool...risking screwing up the tolerances in there is not good...
- w w w . P a i n t b a l l T e k . c o m

- West Coast Connection for Boston Paintball and Twister Service

- Official Service Center for Planet Eclipse
FirePro84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:19 AM #3
warlordtfc

warlordtfc owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
warlordtfc supports DLX Technology
warlordtfc supports Ninja Paintball
FirePro84 - Thanks! Yeah. I was wondering how I would strip and anodize a spool..? Not sure how it's possible. The spools are always super polished inside it seems?
warlordtfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:27 PM #4
srd11
Ooooh... Shiny!

Annual Supporting Member
srd11 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
srd11 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
srd11 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
srd11 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePro84 View Post
you honestly don't really need to polish the inside of the bores, the lower tube gets a ram sleeve, so no polishing needed there, and the upper tube gets a fairly loose fitting delrin bolt which doesn't require polishing...most anno guys don't polish inner bores once they are stripped as far as I am aware.

If you really want to try, flexhone is a decent tool, something with a very VERY fine grit, or you can use a standard swab and wrap it in very fine sandpaper, then scotch brite, then steel wool down to 0000 grade to get a decent glossy finish, but like I said before it's nothing that will be seen and the tolerances are not super great anyway, so....yea.

I definitely wouldn't touch the insides of a spool...risking screwing up the tolerances in there is not good...
This idea works, but for a bright finish, put a dab of polishing compound, like Autosol on the inside of the bore, and work it in/around/back/forth with the swab. Once you've got a nice, even coating of the compound, polish by either spinning or stoking the swab in the bore.

I've done this on steel (mostly knives) to get a mirror finish. I was once accused of chroming a friends hunting knife when I got carried away cleaning it for him... There are two morals to that story; never store you're knife in a leaky shed for 5 years, and never get your OCD buddy to clean the rust off your knife if you don't want it to shine like the noontime sun... But I digress.

It'll work on the internals, and on the outside, as well, though it looks like you've got a good polish going on the outside already.
Empire 68/4500 Carbon Fiber
srd11 is offline   Reply With Quote