Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-15-2013, 05:45 PM #1
Zero Amplified

Question Whats the differences between .50 cal and .68 cal???!!!??

Note: I'm new to paintball so don't judge my stupidity please, thanks!

I just wanted to know whats different between .50 caliber and .68 caliber?
I know there is a size difference but how/what does that effect on the paintball marker?
Also which caliber is better?

Thanks!
Zero Amplified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 PM #2
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Amplified View Post
Note: I'm new to paintball so don't judge my stupidity please, thanks!
don't worry, most paintballers like new players. We certainly need new players.

Quote:
I just wanted to know whats different between .50 caliber and .68 caliber?
I know there is a size difference but how/what does that effect on the paintball marker?
You need a marker specifically built for the caliber or one that has a conversion kit specifically made for that caliber. So if you have a 68 caliber marker for instance, you can't shoot 50 caliber paintballs out of it, and vice versa.

Quote:
Also which caliber is better?
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish with it. 68 caliber will shoot farther, so if you had both on the field, 68 caliber would have that advantage. It also leaves a larger "splat".

50 caliber hurts less.

Chances are that if you want to buy your own equipment you will have more people to play with and be on a more level playing field if you stick with 68 caliber. There are not many people with their own gear playing 50 caliber.
Horizon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:58 AM #3
SPOH

Also an advantage of 50cal, from what horizon didn't state, is that .50 are cheaper. You can shoot a lot more balls with a hopper full of .50 cals than a .68 cal because they're obviously smaller. Disadvantage is that they may be harder to break when it hits a target, since they're smaller. I'd say .50 cal would be nice in woodsball. It costs less, could shoot way more balls. It's really up to what you want, I guess.
SPOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 PM #4
Ryan miller03

Ryan miller03 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ryan miller03 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you want to lay down some serious firepower 50 is the way to go. I play pretty much everything, mainly limited paint games/ pump but sometimes it's necessary in a scenario game to shoot a couple cases of paint in a day. 50 cal is mainly talked down by people that have never used it and refuse to do so. If you buy a conversion kit for a 68 cal marker like I did you will see the light, it's just another cool option
, , , , ###'{\'`|''[]
, , , ,#//#"'''\,_/ []
, , , ##,#" . . . .[]
, , ,|iiiiiiI}-------[]
Ryan miller03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:48 AM #5
TheRageWay
Paintball Is Life

TheRageWay owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I dont see why 50 cal hurts less when its the same fps and a smaller ball. It would seem to hurt more.
TheRageWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:11 AM #6
iboomalot

iboomalot is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
.68 cal weight is approx. 3 grams and .50 is 1.25 grams thus you are getting hit with less mass thus less energy. Granted its pinpointed in a smaller area but the weight offsets this.

.50cal is good for indoor , small fields , children , women but will not be a full replacement for .68cal. Smaller balls have come and gone .40 .43 .62 are examples of failed sizes.

VISIT www.expandinghealthcare.com for 30%-50% off dental costs with Aetna for $9.95/month which includes entire family
iboomalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:12 AM #7
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRageWay View Post
I dont see why 50 cal hurts less when its the same fps and a smaller ball. It would seem to hurt more.
If I throw a stone at you that weighs 1 oz. at 20 mph and another stone/rock that weighs 1 lb at 20 mph, which one is going to hurt more?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:31 PM #8
arin43

arin43 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
arin43 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I was actually wondering the same thing.. What I've gathered: A bit cheaper, possibly less pain (that's slightly what makes paintball fun, you can feel it..), ability to fit more in a pod/hopper.
arin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:29 PM #9
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin43 View Post
I was actually wondering the same thing.. What I've gathered: A bit cheaper, possibly less pain (that's slightly what makes paintball fun, you can feel it..), ability to fit more in a pod/hopper.
I actually agree that the pain is part of what makes paintball more interesting to play than say Lazer Tag. Having said that, the severity of pain that a person wants/needs to feel differs from person to person. 50 cal has it's place for those who want to play paintball, but want to feel less pain, which is actually a LOT of people out there.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:39 PM #10
PaintballofOKC

I have played at many fields and many different types of paint and the fields with .68 that use white box or cheap stuff hurts a lot worse than a field using more fragile paint.

Yes it costs more , yes it can break in the gun more , but the client pain level is reduced with better paint.
PaintballofOKC is offline   Reply With Quote