PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-09-2014, 02:03 PM #1
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

10 Supplements Every Mans Cupboard Should Have

Aside from your run of the mill supplements like protein, pre-workouts, and creatine. I feel like too many people miss out on the general health aspect, just because they do not know.

I'm going to list 10 supplements, that I feel are vital for mens general health and well-being.

10. Selenium - This is the equivalent to folic acid for females; but imperative for thyroid functioning and proper metabolism...quintessential and often overlooked. If you're not eating a lot of tree nuts, you probably aren't consuming enough of this.

9. Curcumin - Anti-inflammatory/pro-testosterone, can be found in every guy's cupboard I hope...understand bioavailability is poor, so take more of it. 500mg/day of a high tumeric extract would suffice.

8. B-Complex - Given its multitude of functions and co-factor offering, I wouldn't dream of going without it. Jarrow Formulas makes a solid B Complex, 1 pill pre-bed.

7. Magnesium - 100s of enzymatic processes in the body, should be in everyones cupboard, male or female.

6. Zinc - Aside from aiding in larger loads and increased sleep, low levels of zinc have been shown to increase illness via poor autoimmune response. Just like magnesium, zinc is responsible for 100's of enzymatic processes.

5. ALCAR - Neuroprotectant, cognitive enhancer, its been shown that it may attenuate the negative hormonal response. Why skip it?

4. Vitamin C and Vitamin D - Vit C at 500 mg/3x daily; even eating is an oxidative process. No more than 500mg so abort pills that contain 1000 mg or more...they actually turn pro-oxidant. Also, Vit C is vital at promoting collagen re-synthesis. Vitamin D. What can I say? Actually, what can I not?

3. Indole-3-Carbonol - Down regulates estrogen receptor activity, increased levels of 2-hydroxy estrogens(good estrogen), controls PRL, and has anti-cancer properties(generally prostate for men, cervical for women)

2. Ahwagandha - Reduces cortisol, neuronal growth, reduces PRL and FSH, increases LH, synaptic regeneration, and it's pro-testosterone. **Disclaimer - It has been shown to increase fertility (Dont pull a jewfro)

1. CoQ10 - The multi-function strikes again, it can change type I muscle fibers to type IIs; can protect the heart; act as an antioxidant, the list goes on.
Pirate Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:17 PM #2
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Saw title, was going to call OP a ******, then saw who OP was.

okay
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:20 PM #3
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

You can call me a ****** when I start advocating the use of Dr. Oz approved supplements.......and quote him.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:22 PM #4
Hawke

Pretty sure PM and Lurker could recommend 5mL goat semen EOD and the forum would try it.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:22 PM #5
Barber
Moose Krew.

has been a member for 10 years
Barber plays in the PSP
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Mafia View Post
You can call me a ****** when I start advocating the use of Dr. Oz approved supplements.......and quote him.
Dr. Oz should be publicly executed.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:31 PM #6
Squirrelly Wrath
Crush Your Enemies

Squirrelly Wrath supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Aside from your run of the mill supplements like protein, pre-1. CoQ10 - The multi-function strikes again, it can change type I muscle fibers to type IIs; can protect the heart; act as an antioxidant, the list goes on.
****ing srs?! Wizard supplement.
BRB choking on CoQ's for the rest of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
Pretty sure PM and Lurker could recommend 5mL goat semen EOD and the forum would try it.
guilty.

Genetics.
Squirrelly Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:35 PM #7
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:
lulululul
Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 PM #8
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Mega Moderator
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
I've taken all of those at one point and take only vit C, magnesium, and Curcumin, now. I do like I3C for anyone prone to nip puffiness though.

B-complex I'd much rather split into individual cofactors and load them at appropriate times - i.e. large enough doses of niacin to flush if cholesterol is a concern, B6 only before bed (B6 antagonizes androgens through the PRL pathway), B1 as sulbutiamine pre-workout (and not particularly often on any of them).

I don't take D at all anymore, supplemented D3 does not appear to have the same benefits as UV light in term of body composition. Get outside, *****es.

I do like ALCAR, but it's not something you can feel. It also interacts very well with choline sources (boosts absorption) and should ideally be taken preworkout

Vit C, I like in the morning to attenuate cortisol response. Humans have a broken Vitamin C production gene (like guinea pigs), so I find this one worthwhile.

Minerals are almost universally there only to stave off deficiency - the evidence on increased function is almost always due to deficiencies being rectified.

I'm not aware of any positive CoQ10 studies on non-elderly individuals. People on statins should supplement, but it's not like CoQ10 is going to make a large mitochondrial difference in young, healthy people.

As for Ashwagandha, I find it to be much less noticeable than Rhodiola. I believe they have a similar method of action, though i haven't looked into it much, admittedly.

Finally, the ommission of K2, Grapeseed Extract, and ASPIRIN is criminal in any "general health" discussion. All of them have decreases in serious diseases by tens of percentage points. I don't know how you can seriously recommend some of this **** and omit them. Also, Curcumin has vastly increase bioavailability with Piperine (Bioperine brand naw in many formulations). Simply taking more can lead to digestive upset (and therefore reduced compliance).

My ogrestrength diet document details most of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little
You come at the king, you best not miss.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:55 PM #9
Hawke

No love for fish oil?

From experience, I don't know if the Zinc & Magnesium recommendation is a good idea. For the unsuspecting, they can leave you very fatigued if you don't accompany them with the proper amount of rest. Not to mention Zinc is typically offered in very cheap forms (as opposed to a more "useful" form like Gluconate).
Old 01-09-2014, 04:57 PM #10
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
What do you dose your aspirin at? I've considered adding it, as my family has a bit of a heart disease history, but was unsure of the proper dosing. I don't want to take a daily baby aspirin if it will do nothing.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:23 PM #11
BCdude
The O-fishel

BCdude helped look for balloons
Just sittin here like "lol don't know what any of this means, only took chem 1".

NCSU Paintball
BCdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:41 PM #12
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCdude View Post
Just sittin here like "lol don't know what any of this means, only took chem 1".
High school chem checking in.

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Mr.Familiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 PM #13
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

You mean goat semen's not recommended?

Serious question: Lurk you just buy your stuff in bulk for the most part?
Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 PM #14
FHS JewFro
black AND white

Two notes

1. You guys think you don't what they are saying with only taking chem 1 and high school chemistry , imagine me taking no chemistry . OMG wat is we sayin?!?!?

2. Love all the great info, but maybe include a beginner, intermediate, and expert level stack along with dosages + time to take + where to find them. Just an idea. Cause I know I would a **** ton of questions if I were to seriously think about investing in these supps
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 AM #15
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:
2. Ahwagandha - Reduces cortisol, neuronal growth, reduces PRL and FSH, increases LH, synaptic regeneration, and it's pro-testosterone. **Disclaimer - It has been shown to increase fertility (Dont pull a jewfro)
Oh **** I missed this gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS JewFro View Post
Two notes

1. You guys think you don't what they are saying with only taking chem 1 and high school chemistry , imagine me taking no chemistry . OMG wat is we sayin?!?!?
How the hell are you in college without ever taking chemistry? Seriously, just go to Wikipedia and start looking at a bunch of stuff.

Also, I would say most of this stuff is biology as opposed to chemistry, although chem/biochem/biology/physiology are all closely related enough that it doesn't matter.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:36 AM #16
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
I've taken all of those at one point and take only vit C, magnesium, and Curcumin, now. I do like I3C for anyone prone to nip puffiness though.

B-complex I'd much rather split into individual cofactors and load them at appropriate times - i.e. large enough doses of niacin to flush if cholesterol is a concern, B6 only before bed (B6 antagonizes androgens through the PRL pathway), B1 as sulbutiamine pre-workout (and not particularly often on any of them).

I don't take D at all anymore, supplemented D3 does not appear to have the same benefits as UV light in term of body composition. Get outside, *****es.

I do like ALCAR, but it's not something you can feel. It also interacts very well with choline sources (boosts absorption) and should ideally be taken preworkout

Vit C, I like in the morning to attenuate cortisol response. Humans have a broken Vitamin C production gene (like guinea pigs), so I find this one worthwhile.

Minerals are almost universally there only to stave off deficiency - the evidence on increased function is almost always due to deficiencies being rectified.

I'm not aware of any positive CoQ10 studies on non-elderly individuals. People on statins should supplement, but it's not like CoQ10 is going to make a large mitochondrial difference in young, healthy people.

As for Ashwagandha, I find it to be much less noticeable than Rhodiola. I believe they have a similar method of action, though i haven't looked into it much, admittedly.

Finally, the ommission of K2, Grapeseed Extract, and ASPIRIN is criminal in any "general health" discussion. All of them have decreases in serious diseases by tens of percentage points. I don't know how you can seriously recommend some of this **** and omit them. Also, Curcumin has vastly increase bioavailability with Piperine (Bioperine brand naw in many formulations). Simply taking more can lead to digestive upset (and therefore reduced compliance).

My ogrestrength diet document details most of this.
D3 - Use vitamin D3. What is unsafe about supplemental D3? Your body synthesizes far higher amounts via sunlight exposure than any supplement could provide, agreed. There is a toxicity study on D3 showing symptoms after ingestion of several million IUs of D3 DAILY for months (no typos). Though, Vit D deficiency is common and easily avoidable.

Vitamin C only works as a restorative aid to equilibrium in the case of chronic oxidative stress. It has no effect on plasma cortisol in healthy weight training males.

CoQ10 - Age, statin-use, or pathology in energy production are valid reasons to use ubiquinol. Longterm studies show adequate retention, it's cheap. Until the AMA agrees to reassess, Ill continue to advocate it.

Grapeseed extract as an.....anti-oxidant? GSE is a significantly less potent antioxidant, than say, resveratrol.

I'm curious about your reasoning to supplement aspirin
Old 01-10-2014, 07:08 AM #17
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21154195

Doesn't this prove the potential advantage of vitamin D supplementation?

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Pump Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 AM #18
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

I do not think he was insinuating that supplemental D3 is useless, just that Vit D from sun exposure is superior. Which, in a way, it is.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:20 AM #19
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
I'd argue that free testosterone data is useless without body composition data, though.

D3 - http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011...ent-study.html

Classic example of misplaced correlation and causation. Athletes are leaner in the summer than in the winter, yet carry more LBM - the trigger is almost certainly UV exposure (maybe circadian rhythms owing to the longer day, as well). There is no reason to advocate for oral D3 supplementation UNLESS a measured deficiency is present. I'd be interested to see if the full text on the above study broke the supplemented group into cohorts based on initial serum D levels.

Vitamin C:

I tend to disagree - I'm specifically taking vitamin C as an adrenal consideration (with salt in the morning). Cortisol is obviously something to be regulated, not cratered (Like estrogen, or really, anything). I think there's adequate research showing that. I just ran across the IL-6 effects today which are very, very interesting. Definitely could go in the "workout booster" we discussed, potentially.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11862365
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7772741
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12945825

IL-6
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15169848

I can find nothing to support supplementation of CoQ10 in young, healthy males. And there ARE null studies when some of the effects trying to translate from the elderly to the young. Again, I look at it as a stave off deficiency thing - I see no proven benefit in supraphysiological levels.

GSE, k2, and aspirin are discussed in my diet document.

aspirin has a 30% lower all cause mortality, it's one of the most proven anti-cancer inventions around, in addition to being a blood thinner.

GSE improves vascular quality, and is amazingly effective against prostate cancer. Like, if you supplement with it, you won't get prostate cancer. And it makes me NOTICEABLY more vascular.

K2 status completely interrupts the cascade of artherosclerosis, and is tremendous as an antioxidant in the liver, even going so far as to REVERSE liver cancer and artherosclerotic status. In addition, it probably increases testosterone by the same mechanism forskolin does (cAMP elevation in the testes).
Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 AM #20
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
I'd argue that free testosterone data is useless without body composition data, though.

D3 - http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011...ent-study.html

Classic example of misplaced correlation and causation. Athletes are leaner in the summer than in the winter, yet carry more LBM - the trigger is almost certainly UV exposure (maybe circadian rhythms owing to the longer day, as well). There is no reason to advocate for oral D3 supplementation UNLESS a measured deficiency is present. I'd be interested to see if the full text on the above study broke the supplemented group into cohorts based on initial serum D levels.

Vitamin C:

I tend to disagree - I'm specifically taking vitamin C as an adrenal consideration (with salt in the morning). Cortisol is obviously something to be regulated, not cratered (Like estrogen, or really, anything). I think there's adequate research showing that. I just ran across the IL-6 effects today which are very, very interesting. Definitely could go in the "workout booster" we discussed, potentially.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11862365
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7772741
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12945825

IL-6
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15169848

I can find nothing to support supplementation of CoQ10 in young, healthy males. And there ARE null studies when some of the effects trying to translate from the elderly to the young. Again, I look at it as a stave off deficiency thing - I see no proven benefit in supraphysiological levels.

GSE, k2, and aspirin are discussed in my diet document.

aspirin has a 30% lower all cause mortality, it's one of the most proven anti-cancer inventions around, in addition to being a blood thinner.

GSE improves vascular quality, and is amazingly effective against prostate cancer. Like, if you supplement with it, you won't get prostate cancer. And it makes me NOTICEABLY more vascular.

K2 status completely interrupts the cascade of artherosclerosis, and is tremendous as an antioxidant in the liver, even going so far as to REVERSE liver cancer and artherosclerotic status. In addition, it probably increases testosterone by the same mechanism forskolin does (cAMP elevation in the testes).
In regards to the test aspect from vit d, useless? Not completely, in regards to body comp? Absolutely, T is not the only causative factor.

D3 - Most lifters I know, dont venture outside as much as they should.

I have to read through the Vit C links, in regards to cortisol control or even decreasing cortisol levels, useless. Same with your diet link, Ill read through that now

Aspirin does not actually thin the blood, it widens blood vessels. Aspirin inhibits cyclooxygenase, thromboxane A2 and platelet endoperoxides - which inhibit platelet aggregation, thus promoting vasodilation.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:50 AM #21
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
That's my point - lifters SHOULD be going outside. Or, failing that, low grade tanning (like 4 mins on lowest setting 3x a week).

Aspirin DOES thin blood, by preventing platelet aggregation. That's the colloquial definition of a blood thinner. Thus, increased bleed times.

I don't know why you'd make that pronouncement about vitamin C - there are like reams of studies on the post exercise cortisol response attenuation. I had to dig harder to get AWAY from those because I don't take it periworkout currently on the idea that the mild oxidative stress for a workout is needed to trigger adaptation. however, if it sequesters IL-6 in skeletal muscle, it may enhance intramuscular protein synthesis rates over the subsequent 48 hours (thus, the reduciton in subjective measures of recovery such as an increase in soreness could speak not to decrease recovery, but enhanced signalling to the muscle.)