PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-16-2013, 06:14 PM #1
ocfighter
knowledge and wisdom wins

upgrade from 32 bit to 64?

when i upgraded my pc a few months ago it came with both a 32 bit & 64 bit cd, i would like to be able to add more RAM but obviously cant with 32 bit, does anyone know if my specs hinder me from upgrading to 64 bit? and if so is it as easy as just sticking in the 64 bit OS CD and going from there?

thanks and appreciate your help!

ocfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2013, 08:02 PM #2
Viper37
**** the C.S.A.

has been a member for 10 years
Viper37 helped look for balloons
You're willingly running Window's 8, and your Ram is running at 666mhz. Yeahh you really have no business modifying your computer.

But it you do, throw away the discs that came with it, download a Windows ISO from digital river, and use your key to install a bloatware free OS. (Except for all the Win8 garbage. Oh wait, Win8 is total garbage.. yeah.)
Originally posted by Mr.jon: "god viper is raping you guys with the comebacks, not even kidding."
Originally posted by kfresh: "car companys do not intentionally put parts on that will brake"
Viper37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 PM #3
ocfighter

upgraded from xp.... so it was worth it...

i use windows 7 for eight hours a day... im aware of the drawbacks, but oh well

Old 06-16-2013, 10:32 PM #4
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Drawbacks?
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:34 PM #5
AxeCop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmizzle View Post
Drawbacks?
8 is a bit faster and more streamlined in some areas, and overall the back end of it is better

but it also has the god awful tablet ui shoehorned in

All the people crying that 8 is awful haven't tried it, and are probably the same guys that cried 7 was bad from the XP desktops... Until they got 7 and found it that it is great. Seriously this happens with EVERY iteration of windows until the babies grow up and try it before the speak.

8 isn't anything special, and I eagerly await the promised update to remove the tablet crap. Until then my gaming PC is 7 and my general use laptop is 8.

Last edited by AxeCop : 06-16-2013 at 10:39 PM.
AxeCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:48 PM #6
TJLmoney
NEPL Balla/Pro Gamer

TJLmoney owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TJLmoney owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
TJLmoney has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TJLmoney has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
agreed
Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 PM #7
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeCop View Post
8 is a bit faster and more streamlined in some areas, and overall the back end of it is better

but it also has the god awful tablet ui shoehorned in

All the people crying that 8 is awful haven't tried it, and are probably the same guys that cried 7 was bad from the XP desktops... Until they got 7 and found it that it is great. Seriously this happens with EVERY iteration of windows until the babies grow up and try it before the speak.

8 isn't anything special, and I eagerly await the promised update to remove the tablet crap. Until then my gaming PC is 7 and my general use laptop is 8.
Got a link with more info on that update? I spent about 10 minutes on the consumer preview before I got sick of the tablet UI and stopped paying attention to 8 almost entirely. There was a bunch of stuff that I liked or thought showed promise, but I wasn't about to deal with navigating a tablet UI with a mouse and keyboard to get a better file copy manager and a snazzy new task manager.
cww516 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:17 PM #8
ocfighter

Having used windows 7 and windows 8, I really don't have that much of a problem with windows 8. Obviously the tablet UI is a workaround, it was more annoying in the beginning than anything, but I have grown to like it. In many ways it is faster than windows 7, it operates smoothly with my hardware. I have no complaints.

Since the answers on this thread really isn't any help to the original post I have gone ahead and zeroed out an extra hard drive laying around and I will just try this and see

Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 PM #9
Kickin-Impulse
Oh SNAP!

Kickin-Impulse is a Supporting Member
I'll be giving 8 a shot once 8.1 is released. My cousin works for Micro$oft so I'm pretty sure I can get a free copy.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:42 AM #10
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA beginner division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
I've been using 8 for quite a while on both my primary laptop (ASUS ROG series) and custom built gaming desktop. It's fine. The METRO UI and lack of "Start" take some time to get used to, but once I found "Steam Tiles" I was all good.
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 AM #11
Foamie

I don't see anything with your hardware that prevents you from going to 64 bit. You'll probably need to reformat your hard disk or at least your windows partition to accomplish it though.
Foamie is offline   Reply With Quote