Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-16-2014, 09:13 PM #1
PencilOrPen

VIO vs KLR vs Grillz

I suppose there are some paintball ninjas out there have had a chance to try on the VIO, KLR, and Grillz (seems like only a select few have gotten there hands on a KLR). Any comparisons between the three would be excellent!
PencilOrPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2014, 09:50 PM #2
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I don't think someone could really describe the difference in fit and feel through just words. You really would have to try them on yourself unfortunately.

Hopefully someone proves me wrong though. I will say the Vio had very nice, soft foam but it was way too thin on the nose for me. I could feel the plastic frame pressing against the bridge of my nose. Supposedly Virtue might be coming out with different variations of foam to customize the difference though.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:08 AM #3
yz kid 69

yz kid 69 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I can vouch for the vio being better feeling on my face compared to grillz. I have not tried a klr tho. love my vio's. Im sure you would be happy with either of the 3
Old 03-18-2014, 12:25 PM #4
ChefMatt

ChefMatt is BST Trusted
ChefMatt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ChefMatt has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ChefMatt has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ChefMatt has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Klr was a let down for me, the foam and ear pieces felt cheap especially compared to the vio
Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM #5
floods
Ph 4:12

Annual Supporting Member
floods plays in the PSP
floods owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
floods plays in the APPA D4 division
The Vio has great quality and tons of options for customization, but it fits like a slightly longer i4. If you have a big melon or longer face, Grillz are a good compromise. Grillz to me feel like a halfway point between an i4 and an E-Flex. I didn't have a chance to try on the KLR's, the 50 pairs they had sold out in 5 minutes.

I have had great customer service experiences with:
DLX Technologies . Virtue Paintball . Ninja Paintball . Planet Eclipse
floods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 PM #6
PencilOrPen

Thanks to all who commented. Can anyone else comment further on the nose piece?
PencilOrPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 PM #7
hamfz

I personally prefer how the nose fits on the VIOS. I always had breathing issues through my nose w/ my Proflex -- not so much with the VIO.
hamfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:27 PM #8
rjs21

Annual Supporting Member
rjs21 plays in the MiLP
rjs21 donated to help Peyton Trent
rjs21 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I own Grillz and have tried the other 2 masks.
Quality - Vio
Feel - KLR
Air Flow - Grillz
Lens - VIO
Lens Change - Grillz/KLR
Foam - VIO

If I had to go with any of those masks, I would go with the VIO. The quality is just amazing and you actually get $125 that feels like a $125 mask. The Grillz are great as well but my gripe is the lenses do not last long at all. They fall apart and scratch so easy (even dual pane). I like the KLR but the foam feels too thin and the parts feel cheap; although, the KLR felt the best on my face.

New Orleans Bounty
RISK IT CLOTHING
rjs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:50 AM #9
wildbill3

I just went through this very decision in December when i finally decided to abandon my pro flexes after 17 years of reliable service - yep 17 - longer than some of you have been alive. Just got tired of how hard it is to clean the lenses and how easy it was to mess up the bottoms / overall build quality.

I looked at the I4s, Eflex, KLR, Grillz, and Vio extends mainly. Tried them all on and gathered opinions - even wore my buddies I4s and Grillz during some points. All were really good choices, but in the end I ruled out the I4s and KLR due to thier bottoms and some combination of slightly less efficient breathability, noise, glare on the lens, hotness of breath thrown back at you, fit and or build quality. Grillz were good, but big and pinched me in the middle of my forehead, plus not coming with true thermal lenses puts a bad taste in your mouth. i narrowed it to the Eflex and Vio extends and went with the Vios.

I liked the smaller profile compared to the Eflex as well as the easier lens change system. It should be noted that I am also a person that must have flexible bottoms. I will also say that the build quality did seam a little better and the ability to swap your foam out is a plus compared to the Eflex, I4, KLR , basically all others. They were almost the most comfortable and overall the best fit... they would be the most comfortable if not for one of my 2 criticisms below. They never fog, breathe as good or nearly as well as my old proflexs and hearing is quite good too. I also am a player that must have a visor and these offer that feature....I4's among other detractions allow for annoying glare that comes in through the top of the mask that a visor would fix - these could suffer the same fate, but I have never used them without the visor, which has a nice minimal profile (to date I've had numerous bounces and one clean break on frontal visor hits with my Vios).

All that said I do wish 2 things were done better --- the foam just is not as good a the foam you get on the JT, eflex, and grillz and I wish the bottoms were more flexible. At first i thought the slightly less flexible bottoms would be a plus as they resist deforming in the gear bag better, but the whole reason i like flexible bottoms in the first place (other than bounces) is due to how i sometimes hold my gun and thier ability to flex around your tank.... the jt's do this way better eflexs probably do a it similar to the jt's, but after a bit of game play I can tell you the vios are more likely to push back and move the mask on your face compared to my old proflexs....hopefully this will get better with time, but due to the superior build quality I doubt it.

Hope that adds something useful to anyone making this choice. In the end I would still have a tough choice between the eflex and vio extends. But in all honesty all 5 options are pretty good heck even regular proflexes are still good and if I was on a budget there would be no question thats what I would have.
So I say dont make any decision without trying them on first and if you can play a point or two in as many of them as you can and pick the ones that work beast for you.
wildbill3 is offline   Reply With Quote