benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 is BST Trusted
benji25 donated to help Peyton Trent
benji25 is playing at Living Legends V
benji25 posts videos on PbNation
benji25 supports our troops
benji25 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Before you post a new thread, please read this one

After seeing about 5 new threads about the exact same thing on the first page, I got bored and decided to compose this lil piece of thread. Enjoy!

First off let's get some clarification:

A forum is the largest possible section. It is all the Big bold title links on the home page. (ASM, Teams, News, Etc.) These are for things that have lots of people, generally most of the site, entering them daily.

Some of these forums are very broad. Such as Small Talk. These need to be divided into subforums to keep order. (These are the technology, cars, investments, etc. and other ones like it like the teams subforums) The main purpose of these is to keep thousands of different topic threads sorted into areas of interest.

A thread is the smallest thing you can make. It is a collection of posts. You are viewing a thread now. If you have an idea and want a new place to talk about it, a thread is your best bet. Ask a mod if you can make one if it is of questionable worth to the site.

Pictures in Sigs
No. It is too taxing on the server, it clutters threads, and there is no point. You have an avatar for a reason, use it. From the Man himself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
As I have said many times before. No sig pictures. Ever.

They make forums so unreadable, and annoying that I won't ever consent to it.
Mobile Phone Application
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
A mobile theme is planned to happen when we upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin.

Doing a major software upgrade (which it will be for us to have the latest version) takes me months to do because I have to hack all of the new code, fix what isn't working and then test it all out. All of which is happening during my normal duties here and while working on other projects. It is very time consuming and I don't have a clear estimate yet of when it is to be expected.
The Phishing Warning
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderPB819 View Post
Because of the constant phishing that goes on over PbNation private messaging, the administrators came up with a simple, yet effective way of slowing phishing down, the Warning Page. Ever since the minute it was implemented people started whining about it.
  1. This phishing warning is so annoying! - Yes, but it takes literally 5 seconds to get past it.
  2. You should allow users to disable it! - You can.
  3. That's too hard, I can't figure it out. Just make it an option on PbNation! - No. If you can't figure this out, you probably need the warning.

No matter how good of an argument you think you have, please don't make a thread in the Suggestion box. It's not gonna be taken off.
Dividing up the Electronic Markers or other forums
This will not work because there is way too many different brands/year/makes and models of guns. See all those marker forums that are for discussions? Imagine that list again, only for BST purposes. That is way too many forums to keep track of, let alone moderate. Also, what if you have multiple guns? Say you have 10 guns to sell. You would possible need 10 separate threads, which would just add to the clutter and bandwidth. And if we decided to arrange it based on high end/low end, how would you classify low end? What is an Ion? what if it has ups? And even if we did this, how much would it really help? There are not that many "low end" guns for sale (spyders, tipmanns, etc.)

Adding a new forum/subforums

First off, ask yourself “Is there a need for it?” Not for just you, but for the entire nation. At LEAST half of PbN would need to be interested in order to get a new forum. That would mean 175,000 users would need to also see it as necessary. So if you want to suggest a “Northern south Montana Amish paintball club” forum, then you are better off making your own site with personal forums.

ASM Suggestions

We have perks. You knew what you were getting when you agreed to pay $30. That being said, if you think you have an idea that would be BENEFICIAL to ASM members (things like pictures in sigs are not beneficial), then provide information to support your claim. Don’t just say “Hey, I paid PbN, give me more stuff”

New Forum Systems and Doohickeys

PbN is large forum. What you see on other sites is most likely not possible on PbN. You also need to consider the average PbN user. If you want a rep system, or a point system, or a post count, it will be abused. Not everyone can respect each other and read the rules. Many people would abuse the system just because they are bored and immature. Yes, it may be a “nifty” idea, or me even be cool to have, but chances are it won’t work. Once again, if you have an idea that you believe is A) beneficial, and B) practical, then go ahead and suggests it. But once again, have evidence to support your claims.

Regulations and Enforcements
As stated before, PbN is a large forum. For every mod, he has to keep track of roughly 2,600 users. They are not able to enforce minute details, not to mention they all have lives. So things like enforcing more rules, or being tougher on rule breakers, can only be helped by us users. The report this thread button is your friend. As for regulations (picture size, etc.), there are limits to what PbN can and can’t do. It would take up a large amount of bandwidth as well as new codes and a lot of work to regulate things like this.

Raising the search limit

Before you post about how frustrating it is to not be able to search, lets look at some things. First, there is google.
Courtesy of Joey the cool

Second, ASM is $0.08 per day. If you can't afford that, you probably should not be on PbN and out getting a job. Also, the amount of bandwidth it would require to let everyone search would be immense. The search has its own server (I think) for us ASM's to use. And I bet that is strained a bit. And then if you added alot more, the load would be unbearible and PbN would be a pain to use. Also, PbN is a business. The want profit like any other. If they opened up the search, that would take away the major selling point of ASM.

Avatars are personal pictures that people put by their name. They represent things they like. It may be offensive to some people, but a large majority of people don't even pay attention. It may be offensive to you, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's illegal. Take half naked girls for example. As long as they are covering there "personal" places, it is not violating the rules. If you are still annoyed, just turn avatars of by clicking this link: http://www.pbnation.com/profile.php?do=editoptions Go to thread display options and uncheck "Show Avatars"

Canadians entering PbNation Giveaways (thanks for the help SpyderPB819)

This forum is flooded with people asking for contests to be open to Canadians, but at this time, it is just not happening. Want a reason? Pick your favorite:

GST(goods and services tax), PST(provincial sales tax), HST(harmonized sales tax), and the Customs Brokers Fees
People seem to over-look the fact that contests are open to ANY member in the United states. Not just ASM's. All the ASM's have is the luxury of entering online. Therefore, it is not part of the ASM package. Anybody can mail in a post card as long as you live in the USA. Asm or not... Don't believe me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS@PbNation View Post
Nope, anyone can send a post card in...

Thanks
Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstruckguy View Post
I'm going to play off some past memory about Canada and their GST(goods and services tax), PST(provincial sales tax), and not to mention their HST(harmonized sales tax) and the infamous Customs Brokers Fees.

I have been told by some Canadian residents, that an item that they received from the U.S worth about $100 U.S, generated a tax bill of over $450 canadian. Can you guys imagine what a $1000 marker would generate?

Would you accept a "free" contest win, that you had to pay, I don't know, $3000 for?

This is just one of the scenarios that we want to avoid.(and I'm sure you do as well)

At this present time,(last I heard) our software won't digest the Canadian postal codes. They are a little strange, (you have to admit), which is how the fields are broken down.

Those are just some of the fun facts for why it has not happened at this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post
International ASM contests open up a whole can of worms when it comes to laws and regulations.

Well, that being said, maybe we will lose the repeat threads that we see daily in this forum. Mods, if this is against the rules, I was bored when I made it so I have no problem if you need to delete it. I just thought it would help.

I expect more updates to come (if this thread lasts). But for now, adios.

~Benji

Last edited by benji25 : 01-02-2010 at 12:26 AM.
benji25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2007, 11:07 PM #2
team_xile
Midwest Whiteout

team_xile plays in the APPA D4 division
team_xile is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
team_xile is Legendary
team_xile supports DLX Technology
team_xile supports Empire
nice hopefully this will cut down on some of the repeat threads
team_xile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 PM #3
jonleflar (Banned)
Call me Jon

I was planning on making one of these myself.

You beat me to the punch

Edit: Add something about the search limit being raised, and why it won't work.
jonleflar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:17 PM #4
team_xile
Midwest Whiteout

team_xile plays in the APPA D4 division
team_xile is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
team_xile is Legendary
team_xile supports DLX Technology
team_xile supports Empire
and add about the PMR not getting it's own section....thats another popular one.
team_xile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:19 PM #5
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonleflar View Post
I was planning on making one of these myself.

You beat me to the punch

Edit: Add something about the search limit being raised, and why it won't work.
What.

How did I forget that? thats is the one I hate most. Wow, total brain cramp + nice catch!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:40 AM #6
joey the cool....er
nobody

joey the cool....er helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji25 View Post

Raising the search limit

Before you post about how frustrating it is to not be able to search, lets look at some things. First, there is google. I am not exactly sure how to, but somehow you can only search PbN with it. Second, ASM is $0.08 per day. If you can't afford that, you probably should not be on PbN and out getting a job. Also, the amount of bandwidth it would require to let everyone search would be immense. The search has its own server (I think) for us ASM's to use. And I bet that is strained a bit. And then if you added alot more, the load would be unbearible and PbN would be a pain to use. Also, PbN is a business. The want profit like any other. If they opened up the search, that would take away the major selling point of ASM.

LIVE: r3sp0ns3 | steam: joey_the_cool
joey the cool....er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 AM #7
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 is BST Trusted
thanks joey, I added it to the OP
Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 AM #8
M1sTaWIggLes
ɥsǝɹɟ

I do believe I smell a sticky.
M1sTaWIggLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 PM #9
Dyerunner
git er done

has been a member for 10 years
umm, about the subfourm you stated. WE dont need to add the year or anything. just label company name or brand.... not down to the full details which would come up with tons of threads.

take this idea as an example.

Elec marker thread
- Planet eclipse
- smart parts
- dye matrix
- proto matrix
- etec....

NOT LIKE THIS (what you thought of and stated)

elec markers
- 05 ego
- 06 ego
- 07 ego
- nexus
- sl66
- sl74
- shocker sft
- shocker nxt
- rl shockler
- rl timmy
and etec....

That is just to much.

You have the idea tho.... Many of us hates to search though many many pages just to find ourself a deal. Plus there are way to many gold ups being used, looks like the first page will be filled with gold ups any time sooner or later.

I'm in the market for an ATV.... pm me your offer. *** i'm from maine, so the closer you are.... the better! ***
Dyerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:32 PM #10
SpeedBallDEVIL
Certified KEE Technician!

SpeedBallDEVIL donated to help Peyton Trent
SpeedBallDEVIL owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SpeedBallDEVIL supports Bob Gurnsey
SpeedBallDEVIL supports our troops
SpeedBallDEVIL is reppin' sidebar 4 life
SpeedBallDEVIL has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
About the BST guns fourms... All you would need is by price range.

0-100
100-350
350-500
500-700
700-900
900-1100
1100-1300
1300+

Its not too much and it would make it so much easer to search for anyone.
It would also help people that need guns in a certian price range. then there eyes are open to new guns and this way ppl are forced to use a set price.
SpeedBallDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:33 AM #11
Dyerunner
git er done

just no.

I'm in the market for an ATV.... pm me your offer. *** i'm from maine, so the closer you are.... the better! ***
Dyerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 AM #12
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

Darth Bagel is a Supporting Member
Edit in something about the difference between a forum, a thread, and a subforum? People need to learn which to suggest.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 PM #13
eclipse42
eclipse 42

i like the ideas
eclipse42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:56 PM #14
Harbinger[TG] (Banned)
BOS

nice work
Harbinger[TG] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 PM #15
benji25
Legen (wait for it) Dary

benji25 is a Moderator
benji25 is BST Trusted
Edited to include a section on avatars
Old 09-14-2008, 10:49 AM #16
custom ion 518
SP Ion

like the idea
custom ion 518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:37 PM #17
jessegonzalez256

good idea
jessegonzalez256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:16 PM #18
Јon

Hey Benji, when you have time, could you edit in a section for why pictures in sigs won't work?

Someone just suggested it again.
Јon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:30 PM #19
My Alias
ST Mythbuster Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Јon View Post
Hey Benji, when you have time, could you edit in a section for why pictures in sigs won't work?

Someone just suggested it again.
I agree
My Alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:42 PM #20
Јon

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Alias View Post
I agree
Someone suggested it again.
Јon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:04 PM #21
Rob66
youtube.com/shootinstuff

Rob66 posts videos on PbNation
Rob66 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Rob66 is Legendary
Rob66 supports Empire
any word when the new version of vbulletin is going to be up with the mobile app? just kinda wondering.....
Rob66 is offline   Reply With Quote