PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 PM #1
Slythro

Spyder Electra DX help

Hello,

First of all, I've been a lurker here for a couple months now. I recently bought a Spyder Electra DX off a buddy for really cheap. He got me started for paintball.

I know the Electra DX is an older gun, but I have gone through some of the stickies and read up on the possible upgrades and such.

My most current upgrade will probably be a new expansion chamber as the original one got stuck and to get it off, I had to use a wrench and it gouged up the metal. It is still functional but I'd like to get a better one especially since I may play in colder weather.

My problem is that I have found a lot of parts and such but I have no idea if they will fit the Electra DX. Are things like the expansion chamber and such all universal? If not, I'd really like to get some of your opinons as I don't really even have a starting point. For example, I have checked out doropaintballs but they never say if it will fit my gun (as in I have no idea if these things are universal). The one I found is here...

http://www.doropaintball.com/ab10381...xd.asp?id=8891

I have read through some of the reviews of the Electra DX and looked at the setup that some people have ran. How universal are these parts? For instance, how universal are the various body parts on the Electra DX? For instance the part of the Electra DX that contains the pressure gauge and the expansion chamber screws into. I'm not even sure what this is called, but is there a replacement part for that?

Thanks,
Slythro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 PM #2
Extreme Pros

Extreme Pros is an Ultimate field/store owner
For the most part most older Spyder parts are compatible with your Electra DX. The main thing you have to look for is which bolt will fit your Electra DX because your Electra DX was a right side cocking bolt. That might be a bit harder to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slythro View Post
For instance the part of the Electra DX that contains the pressure gauge and the expansion chamber screws into. I'm not even sure what this is called, but is there a replacement part for that?
Yes, they do make that part.

http://www.doropaintball.com/ab10381...xd.asp?id=8811

They have that part also as an upgrade.

714-638-8933
"Orange County's Premier Paintball Shop"
Follow us on Facebook "Extreme Pros Paintball"
www.extremeprospaintball.com
Extreme Pros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 AM #3
theblindchicken
49'er

theblindchicken is an NCPA player
theblindchicken is an NCPA National Champion
theblindchicken plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Pros
For the most part most older Spyder parts are compatible with your Electra DX. The main thing you have to look for is which bolt will fit your Electra DX because your Electra DX was a right side cocking bolt. That might be a bit harder to find.

Yes, they do make that part.

http://www.doropaintball.com/ab10381...xd.asp?id=8811

They have that part also as an upgrade.
Like my guys at EP said, most older spyder parts will fit. The front block/VA (vertical adapter) will either have the standard regulator/tank threading or, if 2k5+ ish, they will not have threading and instead the expansion chamber is attached via two set screws.

You may even want to look into a regulator instead of an expansion chamber. But it all depends on what is recommended in such cold weather (none of that here in SoCal!!)

If you look into a regulator, make sure it's able to output 0-800psi.

Also, if you're comfortable with drilling an tapping a hole in the front block, you can drill a hole and then tap it with a 1/8 NPT threading for the gauge. If you do that, make sure to center it so it'll have the most meat to hang into. Don't drill to close to any sides or all the way through either!
theblindchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 PM #4
Slythro

I will definitely look into the regulators instead of the expansion chamber this weekend. I didn't even think about that.

The VA currently on the gun is still in pretty good condition so that's good. But I'm just worried that eventually I won't be able to find replacement parts.

When you guys say older sypder parts, are you referring to say 2010 and older? Or purely older than the spyder electra DX?

Thanks,
Old 07-12-2012, 09:20 PM #5
acmeman

acmeman is playing at Living Legends VII
acmeman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
acmeman has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CheÁk out ans gear they have a bolt listed for a Electra dx for under $5.00.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 AM #6
xXBloodLustACXx
The EM1 Collector

xXBloodLustACXx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slythro View Post
When you guys say older sypder parts, are you referring to say 2010 and older? Or purely older than the spyder electra DX?
The former. I'm not sure what year it was that they changed everything around but "older" probably means more like pre-2007 than pre-2010. I think when the VS series came out everything started to change a lot. Basically all the Spyders up to and including the "Electra with Eye" are pretty similar.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM #7
theblindchicken
49'er

They also started to change the front block/expansion chamber design in 05/07? I know my xtra's has the threading, but my pilot has the two set screws holding the expansion chamber on. But other than that, the parts are perfectly interchangeable (minus the ball detent).
Old 07-13-2012, 03:05 PM #8
xXBloodLustACXx
The EM1 Collector

xXBloodLustACXx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblindchicken View Post
They also started to change the front block/expansion chamber design in 05/07? I know my xtra's has the threading, but my pilot has the two set screws holding the expansion chamber on. But other than that, the parts are perfectly interchangeable (minus the ball detent).
Yeah they did some funky things with the front block/foregrip over the years. I know that the Spyders which came stock with regulators had a really strange front block that couldn't be used with any other expansion chamber or regulator.

Probably best to just get an aftermarket front block or post here to make sure a specific older Spyder VA will fit.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:02 AM #9
Slythro

Woof. Got pretty sick over the weekend and was busy with work...

I will be looking into the regulators this weekend and hopefully it won't get pushed off again . Maybe even go and paintball a little.

I really liked the front block/va that was posted/recommended. I will be thinking about grabbing one of those.

Generally speaking, how often do you guys buy a new gun? It seems as if finding parts is difficult after 4+ years on a gun.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM #10
theblindchicken
49'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slythro
Generally speaking, how often do you guys buy a new gun? It seems as if finding parts is difficult after 4+ years on a gun.
I tend to look at what I find comfortable and what suits my needs. Such as, I've got my eye on a g6r due to how comfortable I find it and how light it is compared to my SP Epiphany. Also, if I'm buying used, I'm not going to buy something that has displeasing aesthetics. But it's all personal preference. I prefer comfort over flashy style.