FoidPoosening donated to help Peyton Trent
FoidPoosening is playing at Living Legends VI
FoidPoosening supports Bob Gurnsey
FoidPoosening supports our troops
FoidPoosening is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
FoidPoosening is Legendary
FoidPoosening is Boss
Any analog / film shooters in here?

I love this sub-forum because the photography enthusiasts come from such diverse backgrounds. While this isn't exactly APUG.org or anything like that, I'm still curious...

Anyone else here on PbN shoot film? If you do:

-What formats do you shoot? (IE 35mm, 120, etc)
-What is your favorite film camera?
-What is your favorite film?

Also:
-What do you think is the biggest positive in using film, as well as the most aggravating part?

Why would be appreciated if you have the time.

For me, I primarily use a Canon AE1 Program w/ Fd 50mm 1.2L lens and A2 winder. The 35mm 2.8 SSC tilt shift lens is also great. Favorite film is Fujifilm Velvia 100F (sometimes cross-processed).

I feel that having a limited number of pictures forces me to compose my shots better and allows me to enjoy the moment more often. Also, Canon FD lenses are just so cheap. The most aggravating thing about film would be difficultly in shooting long exposures at night--as that's one of my favorite areas of photography.

I started ArmoryPaintball.com because I love paintball! A sincere thank you to all of my customers all over the world for their continued business. :)
FoidPoosening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2015, 01:37 PM #2
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Annual Supporting Member
Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Hobbes The Tiger supports our troops
I shoot film here and there, nothing too serious. I just have a 35mm camera but I want to get a Mamiya to shoot MF. Right now I'm just using some Minolta, it gets the job done. I do like shooting with film because it forces me to think, for sure. Aggravating, not sure. Probably the developing process.

DAB Photo: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
Hobbes The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:37 PM #3
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes The Tiger View Post
I shoot film here and there, nothing too serious. I just have a 35mm camera but I want to get a Mamiya to shoot MF. Right now I'm just using some Minolta, it gets the job done. I do like shooting with film because it forces me to think, for sure. Aggravating, not sure. Probably the developing process.
Haha so that means I'm not completely alone on PbN in this regard. What do you currently do for developing? I'm lucky to have an amazing small photo lab in my hometown that does just about everything except slide film.

I started ArmoryPaintball.com because I love paintball! A sincere thank you to all of my customers all over the world for their continued business. :)
Old 07-07-2015, 10:27 PM #4
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Annual Supporting Member
Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Hobbes The Tiger supports our troops
I do all my developing at home. My only option that I know of here would be to take it to a Target or some other big chain store so I just do everything. I have a scanner that I rarely use so if I have negatives I can get them on my computer instead of doing the whole printing process on photo paper.

DAB Photo: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
Hobbes The Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:39 PM #5
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
I do all my developing at home. My only option that I know of here would be to take it to a Target or some other big chain store so I just do everything. I have a scanner that I rarely use so if I have negatives I can get them on my computer instead of doing the whole printing process on photo paper.

Ooo nice. Once I have a permanent address I plan to really sit down and learn the developing process. What sort of developing setup do you use? And just B&W or also color?

Old 07-09-2015, 04:13 PM #6
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

120 film
Hasselbald 500CM
Ektar 100

Biggest positive about film IMO is the feeling of actually creating something.

The whole process of getting an image to come out exactly like you want can be a huge pain in the ***, but when it does it makes it that much more worth it. It's changed the way I view photography
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:26 PM #7
wafflecakee
No Dogs, No Masters

wafflecakee supports DLX Technology

-What formats do you shoot? 35 mostly. I haven't shot 120 since I sold my Mamiya 6. I'll occasionally shoot 4x5 with fuji peel apart, meeeeow.

-What is your favorite film camera? My yashica t4 and ricoh gr1v are the only cameras I've never sold.

neopan 1600 RIP. Portra 160nc RIP.

Also:
-What do you think is the biggest positive in using film, as well as the most aggravating part? Best part is I get to print them the way I want to in the darkroom. Aggravating is when I drink too much and screw something up.

Why? Like why shoot film? Because if you do it right digital hasn't caught up yet.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 PM #8
mountainviewchris
Currently: Licking 9vlts

Annual Supporting Member
mountainviewchris is a Moderator
mountainviewchris is BST Trusted
mountainviewchris is a Paintball photographer
mountainviewchris is playing at Living Legends VIII
mountainviewchris owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
mountainviewchris has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
I don't develop anything.
Fixed this for you.

Certified for: Planet Eclipse, DYE, Empire/Invert, Tippmann, BT, Bob Long and Dangerous Power with 14+ years experience in the industry, ask me anything, I know more than anyone.
mountainviewchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:15 PM #9
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflecakee View Post
A Because if you do it right digital hasn't caught up yet.
This. This is so true.

All the variants of panoramic cameras, emulsions, specialty film items etc digital's not there yet on certain fronts.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:17 PM #10
systemx29
African watering hole ftw

trying to start shooting film exclusively. as far as im concerned if its not medium format its a waste of time.

i shoot with a hasselblad 501c and mostly stick to ektar. i really would like to give the rollei digibase color a shot but its impossible to find.
"Originally posted by I Have Leprosy: DIZ IS Da CRIPt WE B HAting need A nEw rifle to snipe DAt sukkA and HURRY BUY DIZ PANT I HAV LEProsy AND MY TRIGGA finga Bout TO FAll OUT!@!!!!!! I NEEZ TOP KILLZ SUM KRYPT TO DOO SUM GOOD IN THIS EART PEACE."
"Originally posted by bokraham;29107026: you're about 60 pages late"
WAS,ENTROPY,****** BOARDS...CHEAP!!!!
Sick 2k5'd timmy for sale
systemx29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:01 AM #11
reddogphoto
BECAUSE ST:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflecakee View Post
Occasionally, more for fun than anything else. 100% of my professional work is done in bits and bytes. I started in film shooting for fun as a kid starting with 110 and later 35mm point and shoots, but got away from photography as a teenager. When I came back to it in my mid 20s, it was right as digital was gaining ground in the consumer market and that's what I went to. It was a while before I started shooting any film again.

Quote:
-What formats do you shoot?
Mostly 35mm. I'd like to shoot 120, and I have an old Mamiya 645 to do it with, but I need to learn to load/unload it properly and figure out how/where to get it developed.

Quote:
-What is your favorite film camera?
I have several film cameras. Favourite from a personal standpoint is my Canon F1. It was my mother's since high school, and seeing her use it when I was a kid sparked my interest in photography. She gave it to me a few years ago, and I break it out from time to time to put a roll through it. It's tough though, as the camera ran on old mercury batteries that are now illegal, and I have to modify a hearing aid battery to run the meter. Since those batteries begin to drain on exposure to air, it pretty much requires a new battery every time I use it, unless I don't want to meter. It's all mechanically timed and still accurate, so it will function sans meter without the battery.

Probably my favourite ever was the New F1 I had prior to Mom giving me her F1. The New F1 used a battery that could be purchased through specialty outlets, which was good because the shutter timer was electronic above 1/60th or so. It was somewhat more intuitive to use than the original F1, and I didn't have to worry about the batteries so it was ready to go whenever I needed it. Something broke inside it though, and my attempt to repair it myself resulted in disaster. One day I'll get another.

Favourite walk-around camera is a Yashica rangefinder I have, I can't recall the model name, and it's packed away as our house is currently on the market. It's semi-automatic, quick and simple to use, though it's an older version that doesn't support metering for fast film, so it isn't all that useful indoors. Batteries aren't a concern either.

Quote:
Whatever I can get my hands on. Since film shooting is fairly impulsive for me, I usually would buy my film at Walgreens and soak up my wife's employee discount. That meant Fuji consumer colour film, or BW400CN. Walgreens has done away with their wet labs though, and with it most stores stopped carrying 35mm.

Quote:
-What do you think is the biggest positive in using film, as well as the most aggravating part?
I love film's dynamic range, and the organic look. I don't like using film actions or filters on digital, and the dynamic range is unmatched even by my D810.

The aggravating part is getting it developed. I don't have the space or resources to do it myself, and local options have all dried up.

Quote:
It's about doing what I love just a little bit differently when I get burned out or just want to do something out of the routine.

My name is Ted and I produce photos. Sometimes I get a decent one. http://closefocusmedia.com
reddogphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:31 AM #12
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by systemx29 View Post
trying to start shooting film exclusively. as far as im concerned if its not medium format its a waste of time.
Why do you say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogphoto View Post
Occasionally, more for fun than anything else. 100% of my professional work is done in bits and bytes. I started in film shooting for fun as a kid starting with 110 and later 35mm point and shoots, but got away from photography as a teenager. When I came back to it in my mid 20s, it was right as digital was gaining ground in the consumer market and that's what I went to. It was a while before I started shooting any film again.

Mostly 35mm. I'd like to shoot 120, and I have an old Mamiya 645 to do it with, but I need to learn to load/unload it properly and figure out how/where to get it developed.

I have several film cameras. Favourite from a personal standpoint is my Canon F1. It was my mother's since high school, and seeing her use it when I was a kid sparked my interest in photography. She gave it to me a few years ago, and I break it out from time to time to put a roll through it. It's tough though, as the camera ran on old mercury batteries that are now illegal, and I have to modify a hearing aid battery to run the meter. Since those batteries begin to drain on exposure to air, it pretty much requires a new battery every time I use it, unless I don't want to meter. It's all mechanically timed and still accurate, so it will function sans meter without the battery.

Probably my favourite ever was the New F1 I had prior to Mom giving me her F1. The New F1 used a battery that could be purchased through specialty outlets, which was good because the shutter timer was electronic above 1/60th or so. It was somewhat more intuitive to use than the original F1, and I didn't have to worry about the batteries so it was ready to go whenever I needed it. Something broke inside it though, and my attempt to repair it myself resulted in disaster. One day I'll get another.

Favourite walk-around camera is a Yashica rangefinder I have, I can't recall the model name, and it's packed away as our house is currently on the market. It's semi-automatic, quick and simple to use, though it's an older version that doesn't support metering for fast film, so it isn't all that useful indoors. Batteries aren't a concern either.

Whatever I can get my hands on. Since film shooting is fairly impulsive for me, I usually would buy my film at Walgreens and soak up my wife's employee discount. That meant Fuji consumer colour film, or BW400CN. Walgreens has done away with their wet labs though, and with it most stores stopped carrying 35mm.

I love film's dynamic range, and the organic look. I don't like using film actions or filters on digital, and the dynamic range is unmatched even by my D810.

The aggravating part is getting it developed. I don't have the space or resources to do it myself, and local options have all dried up.

It's about doing what I love just a little bit differently when I get burned out or just want to do something out of the routine.
Thanks for the response! In terms of developing I know people who mail film off to some of the bigger developers to then have it sent back to them (maybe look into this?) but thankfully I have a little lab in my hometown that handles everything except slide film.

Also, the F1-N is next on my list of cameras to get.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:58 PM #13
reddogphoto
BECAUSE ST:P

Not a problem! Also, be careful as the F1n is NOT the same as a New F1. The best F1 for daily use is the New F1, which will have a grip swell for a 6v battery, a chrome stop-down button next to the lens mount, and the ASA dial under the rewind crank. F1n is a slightly refreshed version of the original F1. There is no grip swell, as the (now banned) battery goes under the bottom plate. The ASA dial is integrated with the shutter speed dial, and the stop down function is built into a dual combination lever where your right hand would go on the front of the body.

My name is Ted and I produce photos. Sometimes I get a decent one. http://closefocusmedia.com
reddogphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:22 PM #14
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogphoto View Post
Not a problem! Also, be careful as the F1n is NOT the same as a New F1. The best F1 for daily use is the New F1, which will have a grip swell for a 6v battery, a chrome stop-down button next to the lens mount, and the ASA dial under the rewind crank. F1n is a slightly refreshed version of the original F1. There is no grip swell, as the (now banned) battery goes under the bottom plate. The ASA dial is integrated with the shutter speed dial, and the stop down function is built into a dual combination lever where your right hand would go on the front of the body.
Yep yep! The New F1 = F-1N and the F1n (older) = F-1n. Here's an entire thread I started on apug to clarify that and some other differences. It turned into a really intriguing discussion.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:18 AM #15
MiniSpdRcr

MiniSpdRcr has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Well I am selling a F-1
Old 08-24-2015, 11:18 PM #16
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
I haven't been on here in months but decided to lurk back today. Twelve film cameras and counting, the Zorkiy and Yashica are my favorites. Sorry for the crap phone + facebook quality punch.

outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote