PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 AM #1
Valtyr

98 questions

Howdy,

So my dad brought me a case I didn't even remember I had. In it was my very first marker I purchased back in 1998 or 99, a Tippman 98. It had everything minus the tools. I even got a VL Revoultion (Dual 9volt power!) and a remote for it.

Now, this gun is almost stock and still runs on CO2, but since it was the first one I ever purchased I'm a little sentimental about it. The only major upgrades this gun has is the barrell and I used a dremmel to smooth out the inside as the old 98's were rough out of the factory.

My question right now is, is it possible to convert the old 98's to HPA? I'm really just doing this as a side project if it's even possible, odds are I will stick with my EGO. But imagine the looks I Would get if I show up with my VL Revoloution hopper!

Any advice is appreciated. I will post pictures later on to show just how old this style of 98 really is.

Cheers,
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 PM #2
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Rubbr Chickin is playing at Living Legends VI
Rubbr Chickin supports Empire
You can hook HPA right up to it as it is.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM #3
Valtyr

Thanks for the answer. I thought it needed a some kind of conversion to run on HPA, but it's been so long that I could be wrong.

Next question, upgrades, but I will browse through here before I ask. I know the trigger will be difficult because the old body style didn't allow for the trigger guard to be removed.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM #4
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

If you convert to Low Pressure Air youll need to mess with a kit, but if youre using a high output regulator youll be fine.

If you have the Model 98 or the first generation of 98C where you have the plastic rear sight there isnt much in terms of upgrades since that was all pre-cyclone and Egrip. Only thing you can really upgrade is your barrel.

If you want to get a newer 98C stock you can etch out a top groove using a Dremel 84922 bit to allow the stock groove to sit. I just did that on my Model 98 last weekend and slapped an Alpha Black stock on it.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:38 PM #5
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Also, if you want to upgrade your trigger you can, but you will need to cut off the trigger guard. If you have a bit like I suggested in my last post you could probably etch a square hole by the mid-bolt to allow for a guard, or you can just leave one off since the airline hugs fairly tight anyways.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 AM #6
Valtyr

Thanks for all the input. Since I'm not 100% what I'm going to with this yet, I'll stay away from the trigger guard. I'll work on the stock and probably work on the internals. This will all happen slowly anyways or mabye never.

BTW: Will the newer bolts work on the old body?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 AM #7
duddyflash
Pretty cool

duddyflash is a Moderator
duddyflash posts videos on PbNation
Newer bolts will work but you wont see much if any increase in performance.

'mon.. let me just borrow that soul for a lil bit...
duddyflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 PM #8
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

You could alway buy/ make a trigger guard like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tippmann...#ht_500wt_1180

If you upgrade your bolt, I suggest an Engler bolt. Fewer problems than TechT's ZKH. http://www.englercpb.com/zencart/ind...ducts _id=945
Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 AM #9
Valtyr

That looks like a great idea actually, I never though about doing it that way. Thanks a ton for the advice. Guess it's time to pull out the dremel.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:15 PM #10
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Ive actually been thinking of making a similar guard, but without the curve and just have the one angle. Looks cooler I would think. Plus I want to get a ring trigger so im gonna need one anyways.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:03 PM #11
DarkShadowHunter
Screwball, One Each

DarkShadowHunter supports Sherwood Forest
If you 98 has the older pull style sear there are only two ROF upgrades you can do. One is the Response Trigger kit. The other is the E-bolt.

Each has its own pros and cons. I know that some fields don't allow the Response Trigger because it kind of sort of makes the marker full auto. Technically it is still semi auto, but because an air powered piston pushes the trigger forward it can be perceived as full auto since you don't physically have to keep moving your trigger. If you have it set up right you can send out a good stream of paint as long as you keep your finger on the sweet spot.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:57 PM #12
Guy In Digi Camo

Guy In Digi Camo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowHunter View Post
If you 98 has the older pull style sear there are only two ROF upgrades you can do. One is the Response Trigger kit. The other is the E-bolt.

Each has its own pros and cons. I know that some fields don't allow the Response Trigger because it kind of sort of makes the marker full auto. Technically it is still semi auto, but because an air powered piston pushes the trigger forward it can be perceived as full auto since you don't physically have to keep moving your trigger. If you have it set up right you can send out a good stream of paint as long as you keep your finger on the sweet spot.
If he has a gun that says MODEL 98 instead of MODEL 98 CUSTOM he can do neither, as far as I know, unless you do milling on the frame. I would not suggest doing this unless you have the right equipment and know how to do so as i can tell you from experience it is really easy to mess up.
Guy In Digi Camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:11 PM #13
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

I dont believe you can put a Response Trigger in the M98/ 1st Gen Custom without modification, and I know the EBolt also needs some mill work, if you can find one.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:24 PM #14
DarkShadowHunter
Screwball, One Each

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy In Digi Camo View Post
If he has a gun that says MODEL 98 instead of MODEL 98 CUSTOM he can do neither, as far as I know, unless you do milling on the frame. I would not suggest doing this unless you have the right equipment and know how to do so as i can tell you from experience it is really easy to mess up.
I will have to double check on my Model 98, but I believe you are correct about milling out the frame for the R/T to be installed. I am not sure about the E-bolt as I have not seen one in person.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:22 PM #15
Korey[Reptar]

Model 98s cannot have a response trigger installed without some modding done on your part. They weren't designed for them.

Can all Tippmann run HPA without a kit? It was my understanding that they could but hell I've been out of the game for about 4 years now
Korey[Reptar] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM #16
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
You can run any Tippmann on hpa without any kit.

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 PM #17
DarkShadowHunter
Screwball, One Each

To add to Tonycon's post make sure you get a HPA tank with a high pressure output (HP) regulator as opposed to a low pressure (LP) output regulator. A high pressure reg will output between 750 PSI and 850 PSI depending on the manufacturer. Most low pressure regs put out 450 PSI and generally will not have enough output pressure for Tippmans to complete their cycle causing them to not recock. I have only seen one person use a LP reg successfully on an A5 without a low pressure kit.