PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-04-2012, 05:43 PM #1
tmauriello

has been a member for 10 years
tmauriello owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Launcher

Ok, so I finally got a few pictures of my launcher here and I thought I would get some feedback/suggestions on the design.

It uses a metal 3 way, fire extinguisher air chamber, shop trigger, palmers reg, remote setup and PVC barrel with breach loader. (Much thanks to Boom Master for sharing his wisdom on these boards!)

For the breach loader I simply used a PVC repair compression fitting. I took out both rubber rings, used one at the back to seal it when in firing position and glued one in the front of the opening as a stop. Kept one of the screw on ends as a hande on the breach cover. You may notice a layer of tape on the barrel when the breach is closed as that gives it a pretty tight seal.

I did a lousy job cutting in the breach opening, hence the tape on there to clean it up! The camo tape is there to impress the scenario crowd!

It shot very well in its first action. I had a much less reliable reg at the time but got about 200fps at 120-140 psi. Just swapped in the palmers and will be able to get more reliable stats when I can get to a chrono again. I also plan on testing how many shots I can get out of a 68cu tank per 1000psi filled. I used a simple short female fitting with screw in cap as the barrel tip/plug.

The first picture is a bit older, with the old reg and no padding.

Oh, and I chose to go twisted, untrimmed fins on the nerf rockets.

so, any thoughts or suggestions? I'ld love to know how exactly you all cut your breach openings. I used a hand saw as I thought it would give me more control than my miter saw, but I may try that next time...

Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2012, 06:43 PM #2
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Looks good. That elbow fitting going into the barrel could be turned 180 degrees and it would be lot shorter. Maybe a short nipple for clearance.

'fraid stuff will be sticking out from behind those pallet sized bunkers.

I cut a 45 and 90 on the table saw. The rest was hand work with a coping saw going down the axis of the barrel. Tricky and squiggley. After I got it started I should have used a wider flatter place like a hacksaw blade turned 90 degrees in the frame.

How did you drill the hole for the 1/2" pipe in the Fire Extinguisher body.

What size hole in the diaphragm skirt? I just guessed and it worked. What diameter did you wind up with and how good in the valve close time? Adequate?

What was the fill time with that first reg. What is it off of? Keep us up to date on the fill time with the upgraded reg....

Good work.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 08-04-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 PM #3
Dkuehner
Big Bear

Dkuehner is playing at Living Legends VI
Dkuehner has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Dkuehner has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Dkuehner is attending Decay of Nations VI
Looks good, may just try to make one myself.
Dkuehner is offline   Reply With Quote