Community Focus

Old 07-05-2012, 12:38 AM #1
hatchetwarrior1246

hatchetwarrior1246 donated to help Peyton Trent
hatchetwarrior1246 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
hatchetwarrior1246 supports Team VICIOUS
hatchetwarrior1246 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fitness Idiot needs help

Alright so I posted in here a while back about losing weight and not much has changed.

I have a problem though, I work two physical jobs, both construction.

I work from 7AM to 5PM and my second job is 5-12Midnight
I work these two 5 days a week and then on weekends I work grav yards taking care of people with handicaps.

I have a son who I take care of on weekends so I have no access to the gym like I once did.

Since getting these two jobs I notice, I maintain a slightly heavy build. But with little to no muscle tone.

I need help on what I can do, be it at work or a quick exercise I can do at night or in the morning that may help slim me up a bit.

I just dont know what I can do with such a busy schedule. I do push ups and sit ups in my free time at home on weekends but I don't feel like 2 times a week is enough.

EGO 11 NEED GONE
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...061&highlight=
hatchetwarrior1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 AM #2
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

From someone who has worked a labor job since I was 16, and still do, it's not easy. A great place to start is; What are your goals?

Describe "heavy build" a little bit more. If you are a little overweight, change your diet and discipline yourself to it. Construction work should burn a lot of calories and if you eat right, you will notice change pretty damn fast. I've never been fat by any means, and I don't know many construction guys that are. What do you do with whatever construction company that you are with?

If you really want to get into anything, the first 2 weeks are the hardest and you want to just say **** it, in my experience, after that it starts to just become routine.

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Mr.Familiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 AM #3
hatchetwarrior1246

I'm 5'8" and 200. My goal is to get into the army. I made the tape test and then they cut the body fat limit to 24% I believe. I'm at 26.

In short, I have a 39 inch waist and need a 37.

This job has gotten me pretty solid arms and legs, even my chest is toning. And I've not been working it long.

EGO 11 NEED GONE
Old 07-05-2012, 08:33 AM #4
nightcrewcaptain

Imma let some of these other dudes who are better "speakers" than me give you your diet and workout guidance........but from somebody who has two lazy good for nothing spoiled brothers, props to you for working those hours and still spending time with your kid and still wanting to get healthier
Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 AM #5
hatchetwarrior1246

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrewcaptain
Imma let some of these other dudes who are better "speakers" than me give you your diet and workout guidance........but from somebody who has two lazy good for nothing spoiled brothers, props to you for working those hours and still spending time with your kid and still wanting to get healthier
Thank you. Always trying to improve

EGO 11 NEED GONE
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 PM #6
nwestpballer
RugbyDept.com

If you're working that much and doing labor like you describe than it boils down to what you eat. Tell us what you eat on a daily basis.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:00 PM #7
tanner202

That^

YOu should still be able to eat quite a bit given your activity level but Im sure your definition of "healthy" eating is a bit skewed. (Not a personal attack, but that is the case with 95% of the general public)

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
tanner202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 PM #8
hatchetwarrior1246

I know how it is with food these days. Sucks how difficult it is with temptation. I eat fiber one for a source of fiber. I pretty much eat lunch and dinner on the job so it's usually sandwiches and stuff like wenches fruit snacks and such, breakfast is usually something like eggs if anything. My diet isnt too strict, just rules like no fast food and soda

EGO 11 NEED GONE
Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 PM #9
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

If you aren't seeing the changes you want, you're not doing something right. That's all there is to it. If you're really as active as you say you are, then that only leaves diet.

You say you're diet isn't too strict? Fix that. Do you really think fruit snacks are something you should be eating?
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 PM #10
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

I eat fast food almost daily when I'm losing weight. It's about portions, not the type of food. You eat too many salads or vegetables and your going to gain fat.

Calories in VS calories out.

Stop eating so much at lunch and dinner/

It's not that difficult.

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"

Last edited by Pump Revolution : 07-05-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Pump Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 AM #11
URBANxFLOW

^In what sense are you talking? Hasn't it pretty much been proven that serving size/meals per day are irrelevant - in other words, hasn't it been proven that the only thing important is whether or not your macronutrient needs have been met?
URBANxFLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:32 AM #12
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

I was trying to put it in layman's terms for the OP. Junk food does not make you fat, how much food you eat overall is the problem.

Lets say you eat the same foods everyday and your weight stays constant. You eat smaller portions of those same foods and you will lose weight. If you normally go to McD's and get a double with large fries and coke, simply start ordering a double with medium fries and coke, and you will slowly start too lose weight. Therefore your losing weight through eating smaller portions. The fact that it's fast food doesn't matter. Meals per day are irrelevant, but for someone like the OP ho doesn't track cals, cutting out one of those meals with even cause weight loss.

This guy got 2/3 of his daily food from junk food and lost 27lbs in 2 months, junk food isn't the problem, overall calories are. I used "portions" as a more simple explanation for the OP.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08...sor/index.html

If your a bodybuilder then macros are obviously very important. They play a very large role in body composition, but don't have much effect on body weight.

Good luck OP

Old 07-06-2012, 06:56 AM #13
Dirtybirdy51
Fuark!

Dirtybirdy51 is a Paintball photographer
well put pump.
Originally posted by Black Angus: "So, apparently, if you post in the mountain climbing thread that you enjoy climbing because you can fap off the top of the mountain and watch your *** fly in the wind, you get banned."
AUD- passed, REG- passed, BEC- passed, FAR- scores due 3/10
Dirtybirdy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 AM #14
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 PM #15
FLpaintballer23
REEFER

FLpaintballer23 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
FLpaintballer23 plays in the APPA D5 division
FLpaintballer23 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You said you do push ups and sit ups in your free time at home. Instead of that, have you ever heard of planks? Planks are basically getting down in the push ups position and clasping your hands together, putting all your weight on your elbows and toes. Keep your back straight and try to hold it for at least two minutes or as long as you can. You should be looking straight ahead or down at the ground and should feel the burn mostly in your arms, shoulders, and stomach. A guy i went on vacation with showed me this and it blew my mind as to how much of a work out it is. More for muscle toning that burning calories. I used to go to the gym on a regular basis but a tighter schedule has thrown that out the window. I find that instead of doing push ups and sit ups this is a much better all around body work out and will tone you up for sure. Just my 2 cents...
FLpaintballer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 PM #16
hatchetwarrior1246

I've done those. I love them, but how good are they for weight loss and cardio?

EGO 11 NEED GONE
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 PM #17
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

You want cardio? Biking/running/swimming/sprints. Anything that gets your heart rate up to 180bpm.

I'd being willing to bet if you just switched up your diet with discipline, and learned a simple beginner weight lifting routine mixed in with a little cardio, you'll hit your goal in a month or two with how much you say you work.

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Mr.Familiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 PM #18
FLpaintballer23
REEFER

FLpaintballer23 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
FLpaintballer23 plays in the APPA D5 division
FLpaintballer23 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ehh, not that good. I would try plain old simple jogging if you have the time. Heck, 15 minutes here and there will work wonders. Then again I use to work in landscaping, and i know i would never go jogging after work like that.
FLpaintballer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:13 PM #19
nwestpballer
RugbyDept.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchetwarrior1246 View Post
I know how it is with food these days. Sucks how difficult it is with temptation. I eat fiber one for a source of fiber. I pretty much eat lunch and dinner on the job so it's usually sandwiches and stuff like wenches fruit snacks and such, breakfast is usually something like eggs if anything. My diet isnt too strict, just rules like no fast food and soda
This really isn't specific enough to tell me anything. My advice is to write down everything you eat and what amount you ate for 3 days and really take a long look at the list when you're done. If you can't see where the issues are after that then post it here and I'm sure we can make some specific recommendations for you.

I know it may sound like some mumbo-jumbo from a lot of people on the internet, but lots of the guys here really know their **** and I'm sure we could help you out if you're willing to be honest.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 PM #20
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLpaintballer23 View Post
You said you do push ups and sit ups in your free time at home. Instead of that, have you ever heard of planks? Planks are basically getting down in the push ups position and clasping your hands together, putting all your weight on your elbows and toes. Keep your back straight and try to hold it for at least two minutes or as long as you can. You should be looking straight ahead or down at the ground and should feel the burn mostly in your arms, shoulders, and stomach. A guy i went on vacation with showed me this and it blew my mind as to how much of a work out it is. More for muscle toning that burning calories. I used to go to the gym on a regular basis but a tighter schedule has thrown that out the window. I find that instead of doing push ups and sit ups this is a much better all around body work out and will tone you up for sure. Just my 2 cents...

Please, do not give false information to the guy.
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:44 PM #21
paintballh00dlum
lightweight

paintballh00dlum has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
damn dude 7 am to midnight? holy ****, i cant imagine how tough that must be. anyways if you are looking to slim up, you can do that just by changing your diet not worrying about cardio at all especially working two construction jobs.

do what nwestpballer said and really get specific about what you eat so we can help you specifically.

not jumping the gun here but i would recommend eating your maintenance amount of calories per day (aka the amount of calories your body burns per day just being alive), since you work so much in construction, you probably burn a lot of calories and if you eat your maintenance amount, you would lose weight but also be eating enough to keep you energized for work.

if you eat the right amount of protein and carbs im willing to bet you could gain muscle mass and lose weight at the same time working construction and not even having to go to a gym. im not sure if you do heavy lifting or not at your job though, just assuming you do.

Last edited by paintballh00dlum : 07-08-2012 at 10:46 PM.
paintballh00dlum is offline   Reply With Quote