Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-04-2012, 04:07 PM #1
the mag guy

Shims in the reg...

Couldn't get a hold of Jim to buy a new Epic so I settled on buying another used one (original one was traded years ago). Though completely operational, this Epic can't shoot over 185fps. It literally looks like I could throw them better lol. When I took the gun apart I took off the two plastic discs screwed on to the back cap (low velocity/indoor kit).

I also pulled out the lower reg assembly and saw two very thin plastic spacers on the top the reg housing. I removed them because they prevent the velocity from being turned up higher. I assembled the marker and though there was an improvement in fps, it wasn't by much. I might be shooting 230. Turning the velocity all the way in doesn't make much difference than when its almost backed all the way out. Nothing else in gun looks weird or out of place and all internals are in good condition.

Assuming the big reg spring has gone bad I decided to get some 10mm washers from the hardware store and put them in the reg housing above spring to put extra tension on the spring itself. This is similar to what you can do in any other reg I've worked on and what you are supposed to do in Ninja Tanks if you want greater output pressure (using factory shims of course).
I tried one shim at a time, each time reassembling the marker and test firing. At 6 shims I had so much trouble putting the asa back on I was worried I might strip the screw threads so I did not attempt 7 shims. With 6 shims, I might be shooting at 260-265fps. My Axe is chrono'd at 285 -292 and the Epic is not shooting anywhere near the distance or fps.

At this point I'm considering raising the output pressure in my tank to Automag rt levels (950 - 1100 output psi) to see if that would help. I'm really nervous about putting more than 850 psi in the Epic though. What do you think the problem could be? I really think its either the lower spring or something in the upper portion of the reg. The manual says a quarter turn on the velocity screw is supposed to change it 20-30 fps but I have not seen that yet.

IF it is that lower reg spring does anybody have an idea of where to get one besides Insight (Jim) because I cannot get in contact with him. I'm sure if I can find the thickness and tension and proper length of that spring I can order one from any pneumatics manufacturer.

How does the Axe stand up to the Ego 11? You tell me!!! Axe vs Ego 11
the mag guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2012, 06:32 PM #2
the mag guy

Got gas in the tank and went outside to test with 800-850psi this is what happened:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HFbKOEgicQ

SUCCESS!

Vid was shot one handed, old paint and velocity just a little too high. I shot it next to my AXE and the Epic is now shooting too hot. I turned it down after the vid and it shoots beautifully.

I'm not going to discount all the breaking down and relubing of everything, but obviously the tank output pressure was the culprit this time around! I'll just keep my tank pressure here since the Axe's reg can handle it anyway.

I shouldn't have assumed that my shims were in the tank.

Anyway I'm up and running now and I can't wait to hit the field with it. Anyone with Epic questions hit me up anytime. I cannot for the life of me contact Jim and there's not near enough information out on the internet on the Epic. I'll be making plenty of videos including a video based user manual.

How does the Axe stand up to the Ego 11? You tell me!!! Axe vs Ego 11
the mag guy is offline   Reply With Quote