Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 01-20-2012, 03:57 PM #127
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

The concept is ideal, the execution is poorly done.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2012, 04:45 PM #128
squalledout338
pump>semi=20bps<1bp s

squalledout338 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
squalledout338 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulseballer42586 View Post
Play pump how Kenny plays pump, and yes, teams will definitely consider you

i will go ahead and play pump like... I play pump just messing man

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2916672<------ new pump for sale
squalledout338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 PM #129
gzinthehood
•••K3 Productions•••

gzinthehood is a Moderator
gzinthehood is a Supporting Member
gzinthehood plays in the PSP
gzinthehood is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKTHETANKCONNELL View Post
This is a crazy idea, they went the whole time and scored 1 point.
This.

I can appreciate what you are trying to do, but the format is all wrong.

You're now using 4 players on field dimensions for 7 man, and going 5+ rounds without either team scoring a single point. While this could be potentially more affordable for local teams, I think the format alone would make mainstream media stay far away, it's simply not fun for the spectators.

I can appreciate it, but I would take a little more time and really refine the game play and regulations on an individual basis from both an insiders and outsiders perspective.
FREE GOLD UPS!
gzinthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:25 PM #130
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
WillyW0nka plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzinthehood View Post

You're now using 4 players on field dimensions for 7 man, and going 5+ rounds without either team scoring a single point.
I watched the video on their website and the field looked more like a 3-man field. Was that not an actual-sized field that they plan on using for this format?
WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 PM #131
TheHef

It's a step in the right direction. Paintball as it stands now is one of the most boring sports to watch.
TheHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:58 PM #132
Kaolinite
+-----------+

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
In terms of the immediate competitive needs, it doesn't matter.

In terms of teams not going broke, it absolutely matters.
- Chris
I disagree. Why do we get so much *****ing and whinning in paintball? its because the rules allow teams to start the game with a advantage over other teams *money*

this creates doupt and a mindset that the player/players got beat by money and not skill in the game. This makes people complain...and in the end quit

Creating strict rules and guidlines that all players rich or poor / d4 to pro can follow is top priority.

How many players have gone into tournments asking how much paint will we shoot? will we need to buy more paint if we get into the finals? This is unacceptable. Every player playing in the tournment should be on even playing terms after paying entry. Skill wins tournments.

Teams that dont have money (the young blood that grows the sport) are going broke and the rich team's are going pro. Even worse some leagues *CXBL* i Know (im sure the PSP and NPPL do it too) relize this. They sponsor teams and give them a free number of cases per match. The other team has to spend the money just to keep pace with the other. BuyPBL a paintball store runs the CXBL/AXBL. A paintball store is in the buisness of making money not making the game better for the players. It is a conflict of intrest. Its not difficult to see.

.... is this competition or is it a scam you decide.

MISSION PAINTBALL CLUB

Last edited by Kaolinite : 01-20-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Kaolinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:00 PM #133
gzinthehood
•••K3 Productions•••

gzinthehood is a Moderator
gzinthehood is a Supporting Member
gzinthehood plays in the PSP
gzinthehood is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyW0nka View Post
I watched the video on their website and the field looked more like a 3-man field. Was that not an actual-sized field that they plan on using for this format?
The video before that said the field dimesions were to be 100ft by 180, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is current NPPL size. But that field also looked small to me, although we couldn't see much of the red zone.
FREE GOLD UPS!
gzinthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 PM #134
Nick Brockdorff

has been a member for 10 years
Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolinite View Post
I disagree. Why do we get so much *****ing and whinning in paintball? its because the rules allow teams to start the game with a advantage over other teams *money*

this creates doupt and a mindset that the player/players got beat by money and not skill in the game. This makes people complain...and in the end quit

Creating strict rules and guidlines that all players rich or poor / d4 to pro can follow is top priority.

How many players have gone into tournments asking how much paint will we shoot? will we need to buy more paint if we get into the finals? This is unacceptable. Every player playing in the tournment should be on even playing terms after paying entry. Skill wins tournments.
So, to make everything fair, we need to allow only 1 gun, 1 loader, 1 airsystem, etc. in a league..... God forbid someone is shooting a marker that has a higher quality, because they could afford to, or that 1 brand of paint is better that particular weekend - it's downright unfair

Let's stiffle what little diverse industry we have left, and leave just 1 manufacturer standing in each category - I am SURE they would like to pick up the tab and make it cheap and fair to everyone, once they dominate the market completely

Or.... alternatively - maybe people just shouldn't go to national events, until they can afford to?

Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 PM #135
TheHef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Brockdorff View Post
So, to make everything fair, we need to allow only 1 gun, 1 loader, 1 airsystem, etc. in a league..... God forbid someone is shooting a marker that has a higher quality, because they could afford to, or that 1 brand of paint is better that particular weekend - it's downright unfair

Let's stiffle what little diverse industry we have left, and leave just 1 manufacturer standing in each category - I am SURE they would like to pick up the tab and make it cheap and fair to everyone, once they dominate the market completely

Or.... alternatively - maybe people just shouldn't go to national events, until they can afford to?
No, but limiting the paint shot would help. Paintball becomes so boring when people sit there and hold down a lane, shoot, reload, shoot, reload. If people had a limited amount of paint it would make games quicker and promote movement.
TheHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:30 PM #136
patch32

patch32 plays in the PSP
patch32 plays in the APPA D1 division
Everything about this seemed pretty legit until I saw the video of them playing the actual format. I don't even know how to describe what I saw. Depending on the layout, most high division players (d2 and up) will just be sitting and shooting the entire time without points being scored or the flag carrier will get shot otb. Great in theory I think, but executed terribly.

Edit- Limiting the paint would be against what seems to be the point of the league, to buy tons of paint.
patch32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:14 PM #137
Kaolinite
+-----------+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Brockdorff View Post

... What are you talking about? You missed the point. The amount of paint shot in a game needs to have a set limit. That is it. Shoot what you want with what you want.

To add leauge's already do this. In the CXBL you can only shoot GI paint, you have to wear their supplied jerseys ,you have to pay money to represent your own sponsors and they are run by a paintball store. looks like the start of a monopoly to me.

alternatively would you rather have 100 teams with gear show up or 200 teams with gear show up. Whats better for the hobby/sport of paintball. What helps the stores? what helps the fields? selling to more people!

In all sports you enter the court/rink/pitch as equals. Skill decideds the game. paintball should be no diffrent.

MISSION PAINTBALL CLUB
Kaolinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:18 PM #138
Nick Brockdorff

Nick Brockdorff posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaolinite View Post
In all sports you enter the court/rink/pitch as equals. Skill decideds the game. paintball should be no diffrent.
That is so obviously untrue for any sport that involves technology - I am certain you can make your own list of technology driven sports here?

You stated: "Every player playing in the tournment should be on even playing terms after paying entry. Skill wins tournments."

If you only meant "some degree of even playing terms", fair enough.... but then it gets really personal where to put the benchmark of fairness..... you based yours on money, so how could you NOT include equipment in that equation, since it is hugely expensive for top level gear, for the aforementioned kids, worrying about having paint for the finals?

As for limiting paint, you seem to think laning is not a skill? - So I guess you really meant to say "I want the game to change to promote movement rather than shooting"? - but hey, what about the slow kids? - wouldn't that be unfair to them - their primary skill is shooting?

Anyway, really just playing devils advocate here (because it's fun)..... because to some degree, I agree the game has gotten a little too stale..... not at top level, but at lower level, where people are missing game skills to cope with heavy shooters.

A much much easier way to achieve what you seem to be after, is mimimizing ROF.

Also, a LOT can be done with field design, to promote movement. Most "modern" tournament fields, really have only 2 avenues of attack: The tapelines.

If fields (and bunker kits) were built that allowed for movement in the centre, all the way down the field, you would no longer see teams allocating a player to lock down each tapeline, there would not be enough players for it. - At least in 5man, it's harder to achieve in 7man.... which is ironic, as everyone seems to suffer from the dillusion that 7man is a more "creative" game - which is so obviously not so.... the fewer players on-field, the more the game becomes about personal skills and creativity - 7man requires more teamwork, but that is something entirely different than creativity.

However, either way you slice it, you would see an increase in cost of paint, if consumption was limited significantly, or alternatively you'd see entry fees raised a lot, because the paint sponsors' value of sponsorship and turnover at events, would decrease quite a bit, and that deficit has to be covered.

So in reality, those poor kids not having money for finals paint, are still up that famous creek without a paddle.

Last edited by Nick Brockdorff : 01-20-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Nick Brockdorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 PM #139
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Limited paint will reduce the cost of paint. Even if the entire world were tournament paintball, and there was NO increase in the number of players if paint costs went down, cutting cunsumption by 75% would not increase per-paintball costs by 400%, because you're still using 75% less gelatin, 75% less shipping, 75% less storage, etc.

There's also two other major factors: Tournament paintball is a small portion of overall paint volume, so even a 75% reduction in tournament paint use would amount to maybe a 10% reduction in total paint use industry-wide, and if paint cost goes down, we would have more people participating, which would push volumes back up.

Also, with regards to paint sponsorships... hahahahaha.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 PM #140
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzinthehood View Post
The video before that said the field dimesions were to be 100ft by 180, which, correct me if I'm wrong, is current NPPL size. But that field also looked small to me, although we couldn't see much of the red zone.
Yea if it's 180x100 then the field from the instructional video is definitely not an official layout. There are less than 20 bunkers total on the entire field. There are what, 40+ bunkers on a typical 180x100 NPPL field?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 AM #141
cfl mike
Ron Paul = God

cfl mike owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
cfl mike owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cfl mike supports Team VICIOUS
cfl mike is for the Gunfight
cfl mike has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
good stuff

Why do people do this wanna-be hk thing? I mean hk people dont even play paintball, they just whine and start drama while wearing the ugliest stuff. Seriously you find light blue and pink to be attractive colors for your parents 1500 dollar investment (your gun/marker)? If you want to whine keep it off the field and save it for the internet; O wait! THATS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO! Haha, if you don't play then don't whine.

I want your G6r parts and upgrades, sell them to me, because you wont get anything for them if you sell/trade them with the gun.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3808906
cfl mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 AM #142
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Over here found that limited paint (H+2) didn't decrease overall consumption much when averaged across games. Then again pros play another level of paintball.

It is true however that the biggest single flaw with the NPL system is the use of uncapped semi. That automatically puts the format into the joke category. 10bps full auto or ramp would make the most sense especially in a format that requires lots of movement to work. High ROFs slow the game down and make it less spectator friendly, not more.

Last edited by vijil : 01-21-2012 at 01:26 AM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:39 AM #143
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
That automatically puts the format into the joke category. 10bps full auto or ramp would make the most sense especially in a format that requires lots of movement to work. High ROFs slow the game down and make it less spectator friendly, not more.
When the only way to score points is to move, the last thing you want is 4 guys with a half case on each of their backs holding down lanes for 2 minutes solid. You would think they would have at least kept a reasonable cap...
Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 AM #144
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Over here found that limited paint (H+2) didn't decrease overall consumption much when averaged across games. Then again pros play another level of paintball.
Hopperball plus 2 pods isn't enough of a limit. Take it down to hopperball or maybe hopperball plus 3 pods per team and you'll see paint consumption go down quite a bit.

Uncapped "semi-auto" is fine when you're playing hopperball. Cheaters are out of paint in 10 seconds!

- Chirs

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Old 01-21-2012, 08:31 AM #145
OG Mooninite

OG Mooninite owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
OG Mooninite owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
OG Mooninite supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD9940 View Post
reading the rule book, some of this is ridiculous.

Reading the Player Guide it sounds like Football + Paintball. Which is what Moneyball was back in 2005...
This league seems REALLY full of itself, and it's rules are more complicated than necessary....

you are completely right, all this is is a ****ty half assed attempt at moneyball revival uinder a new name hoping it will make people play. The website is ****, which means there is no professionalism involved. I mean look at the pre game interviews about the format. they look like they were recorded 10 years ago with that quality.

the format is ****ing stupid and the entire concept is just ****ed. Huge fail.

Sponsored by:

Revolution Paintball
OG Mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 AM #146
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
Hey now, just because a website looks crappy....

- Chris

Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 AM #147
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Mooninite View Post
you are completely right, all this is is a ****ty half assed attempt at moneyball revival uinder a new name hoping it will make people play. The website is ****, which means there is no professionalism involved. I mean look at the pre game interviews about the format. they look like they were recorded 10 years ago with that quality.

the format is ****ing stupid and the entire concept is just ****ed. Huge fail for these ******s
Woah, what's with all of the rage? No reason to get angry about it and start insulting them.

I can agree on the website though (and the videos). It really lacks professionalism, which contributes to my skepticism.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.