Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 PM #1
RavenWolf
Francois Deloup

RavenWolf has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RavenWolf has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Alcohol Sales and Paintball

In light of the recent decision by SkirmishUSA to offer alcohol for sale the night of their biggest scenario game of the year, the Invasion of Normandy, I thought it was prudent as a member of the alcohol industry to first inquire about what people thought of the potential legal ramifications that this might have on the sport should it become more popular, or if it even is more popular in other states.

I for one know given the eccentricity of Pennsylvania beer laws that this was quite unexpected and I'm going to be curious about how it is handled come game day, regardless, does anyone have any feedback or stories from other states or events where this has been done and how field management has handled this complicated issue? All it will take in my opinion is one really bad thing to happen and it will attract the unwanted attention of legislators in all states and create negative PR for all of us that love this sport. Comments, concerns, opinions welcome!
Victorious General of Biowars II and Phantom Panic by G-Force Productions
Skirmish's Invasion of Normandy 2009 German Ambassador to Tyrell/RCO.... VICTORY!!!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 PM #2
transluc3nt
Dannmora Demons

transluc3nt supports Team VICIOUS
I don't think you will have to many problems with this, anybody who acts out of line or too drunk will simply be removed or arrested. The field will have to step up its security a bit. Alcohol as always been at big games just normally fields do not vend it. They will certainly make a lot more money. we had to drive almost 30 mins from emr to find beer for castle it was a pain.

Old Feedback
New Feedback

LEGACY PAINTBALL PARK
transluc3nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:45 AM #3
MooKids

MooKids has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MooKids has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
My local field has a bar in it. The only catch it that once you buy something, they take off your wristband and you are done paintballing for the day. Not sure if it is a legal thing, but I'm pretty sure it is an insurance thing.
MooKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:35 PM #4
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
pa beer and alcohol laws suck! our lawmakers are too old and prude!
i'm RAMP certified in the state
with that being said, i dont think its a good idea. my local field allows byob. most people are ok with it and responsible. but there are the others that arent. I watch one girl get so drunk that she literally couldnt walk off the field. her speedballer bf and friends thought it was funny. she could have seriously hurt herself, or more likely someone else. Ive seen drunk dads get beer attitudes and destroy little kids. alcohol and sports dont mix. (unless you're a spectator or the sport is golf, lol) Parents arent going to want to have their pre-teens playing with a bunch of drunken *******s. not saying its going to happen, but it could.

the other major issue is underage consumption. based on pa laws, if this were to happen skirmish would be screwed. sure they can have different wristbands and stuff, but this will only work if alcohol is restricted to one area. one way in. same way out. you get ID'd to get into the "beer tent"

Pa law says a certain percentage of their employees have to be RAMP certified, so thats an added expense I hope they know about, and have done.

I'm not saying that if I attended I wouldnt drink. I probably would. But I also feel that I'm much more responsible when drinking than most. I do feel that in this instance, it's not such a great idea.

Plus since its skirmish it'll probably be like $10/beer

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 PM #5
CaptainSid
Paintball Wholesale Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooKids View Post
My local field has a bar in it. The only catch it that once you buy something, they take off your wristband and you are done paintballing for the day. Not sure if it is a legal thing, but I'm pretty sure it is an insurance thing.
This ^.

Insurance companies require you to train your staff to ensure all players are provided a safe playing environment. This includes that no other customers are under the influence of any drugs or alcohol.

Each insurance company is different, but if most find out that you're allowing players to play on the facility wasted, their license could easily be revoked.

As for legal issues, the only concern I see is getting a license. If you can abide by the state laws and provide a safe facility, I can see how fields could generate much needed revenue with this.

I very much support the "buy a drink / remove the wristband" policy though. Nothing is worse than having to deal with drunken *******s as a ref.
CaptainSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM #6
InfantryMike12
Armed Force Panzer #12

InfantryMike12 is playing at Living Legends VI
InfantryMike12 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Well about three weeks ago my field located in fürth, germany had a fasching party for four different peoples birthdays in one night. Its an indoor field that already has a full liquor bar inside anyhow and its always common to see players pop some tops at the end of the day. Anyways the party had hit its prime and we were all pretty drunk and then everyone geared up and went out for some good ole paintball. As long as masks and safety is still enforced heavily there is nothing wrong with it. The United States needs to be more liberal with its alcohol ideals.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:01 AM #7
poomanchew
coming in hot

poomanchew owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
poomanchew posts videos on PbNation
My experience with booze being added to a situation (I'm a law student and beer drinker) there have been several cases I have personally seen where booze voids any and all waivers and or insurance that the place may have, UNLESS alcohol is previously listed or mentioned in said document. Basically in the court of law if the field allows drinking and billy gets to drunk and falls out of a tree and dies and on the waiver alcohol wasn't anywhere on it the field will become billy's parents field if you catch my drift. So if you own a field put alcohol in the wording all will be ok.
AC:417
G.I. Kick'n Planet Eclipse Yip!
AC:402.com
poomanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:53 PM #8
Frosty420

Alcohol is illegal/ against the rules at my local field.
Frosty420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:45 PM #9
PumpStalker

PumpStalker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PumpStalker has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Insurance won't allow it. Too many bad things can happen because despite the population that could do it responsibly there are just enough people to ruin it for everyone else.

Not to say I haven't given some though to mixing some vodka in with my Gatorade before I get to the field. Not worth the risk though seeing as how I need to stay hydrated when I play and would probably get banned for life if I was caught.

Play Pump. ಠ_ಠ

"Originally posted by BallSoHard2012: So YOU were the guys that stole those captures at the end of the main-game!? -Mack (MCM MVP)"
PumpStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:50 PM #10
texasdriverhandbook

Paintball and alcohol usually don't mix the same as driving and drinking
texasdriverhandbook is offline   Reply With Quote