Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 06:10 AM #1
Nuked
Evol Genius
 
Nuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fairport, NY
Nuked is playing at Living Legends V
Nuked posts videos on PbNation
Nuked supports Pev's Paintball
Nuked has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Nuked is attending Decay of Nations VII
2012 MLB Discussion Thread

Preseason is starting at the end of the month, and I couldn't be happier.

February 29th, 2012 @ 1:05 Eastern:
Seminoles (A)
Phillies (H)

I'm a Yanks fan, though.

Who are you rooting for, and how do you follow it? I'm looking for suggestions on alternatives to paying for cable television. I know in the past MLB had a service at mlb.tv that you could link with a roku player to watch games up to a week after they were played, but roku is saying that they no longer have that service available.

//edit: seems as though they are releasing the mlb.tv package for xbox 360 users. SWEET


Ideas? Discuss.
Nuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2012, 08:32 AM #2
slateman
 
 
slateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chantilly, VA
slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
No idea. The games I want are always blacked out because I live in that market. When I had MLB.TV in Hawaii, it was good. Problem was I was watching the games after they had ended.
__________________
In your haste to save the world, take care you don't destroy it.
slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 AM #3
Vit Beeyer (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Slate I only ask because he was clearly more valuable in 09 to '11. Jus sayin.
Vit Beeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:08 PM #4
razz
Join Date: Feb 2005
 
razz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
who do you think is gonna start on the NL side for the all-star game. cain or dickey?
__________________
\\'estcoast
razz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:09 PM #5
slateman
 
 
slateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chantilly, VA
slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit Beeyer View Post
Slate I only ask because he was clearly more valuable in 09 to '11. Jus sayin.
Assuming you're talking about Verlander, no. Verlander threw more innings in 11, gave up fewer runs and allowed fewer baserunners. He was MVP for a reason. He had 2 shutouts and 4 complete games.

While I don't put a lot of stock in Wins for a pitcher, I do put some in Losses. Simply put, a loss is most likely deserved. Maybe you pitched well, but it wasn't well enough. Verlander only pitched poorly enough to get five losses last season. How many guys throw that many innings and only have five losses?


Interesting tidbit, Verlander already has four complete games
__________________
In your haste to save the world, take care you don't destroy it.
slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM #6
Vit Beeyer (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
Assuming you're talking about Verlander, no. Verlander threw more innings in 11, gave up fewer runs and allowed fewer baserunners. He was MVP for a reason. He had 2 shutouts and 4 complete games.

While I don't put a lot of stock in Wins for a pitcher, I do put some in Losses. Simply put, a loss is most likely deserved. Maybe you pitched well, but it wasn't well enough. Verlander only pitched poorly enough to get five losses last season. How many guys throw that many innings and only have five losses?


Interesting tidbit, Verlander already has four complete games
Verlander's WAR in 09 begs to differ. A full 1.3 games better in less IP. jus' sayin'.

I think Matt Cain's record in games where he's gone 7 IP and 2 runs or less is embarrassingly silly.
Vit Beeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:55 PM #7
SmartyJones
Best in the World
 
SmartyJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
SmartyJones helped look for balloons
SmartyJones is playing at Living Legends III
SmartyJones has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
WAR isn't a good/consistent stat.
__________________
Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, New York Yankees, Detroit Pistons, Notre Dame
University Of Notre Dame Class of 2010
ZENYATTA - Thanks for all the memories!
2009 STS Most Accurate Poster of the Year
2010 STS:F MVP

XBL - noarmsduck
SmartyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:02 PM #8
Vit Beeyer (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJones View Post
WAR isn't a good/consistent stat.
What is?
Vit Beeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:05 PM #9
slateman
 
 
slateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chantilly, VA
slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJones View Post
WAR isn't a good/consistent stat.
What is this I dont even

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit Beeyer View Post
What is?
Batting average and wins
__________________
In your haste to save the world, take care you don't destroy it.
slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM #10
Vit Beeyer (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Hey Slate I hate you and the Giants will sweep you with 3 straight perfect games by barry zito. jus sayin
Vit Beeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 PM #11
slateman
 
 
slateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chantilly, VA
slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit Beeyer View Post
Hey Slate I hate you and the Giants will sweep you with 3 straight perfect games by barry zito. jus sayin
lulz .... did you bring 2002 Barry Zito with you when you went back in time?
__________________
In your haste to save the world, take care you don't destroy it.
slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM #12
Vit Beeyer (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
lulz .... did you bring 2002 Barry Zito with you when you went back in time?
No but Barry Zito is going to eat his trademarked avocado and eggs before every beatdown.

****ing eh your pitcher is batting runners in stop going all 2012 lincecum, tim.

Does Harper do that bunting thing a lot?

Last edited by Vit Beeyer : 07-03-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Vit Beeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 PM #13
slateman
 
 
slateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chantilly, VA
slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
He tries to bunt a lot. No idea why.

Ian Desmond does that home run thing a lot though

And Desmond owns Lincecum in his career. Like 9 for 12
__________________
In your haste to save the world, take care you don't destroy it.
slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:46 PM #14
Vit Beeyer (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateman View Post
He tries to bunt a lot. No idea why.

Ian Desmond does that home run thing a lot though

And Desmond owns Lincecum in his career. Like 9 for 12
Wait he really tries to bunt all the time? Lol. Odd.

I can't tell if Lincecum is just continuing to fall off the face of the planet or if he is really uncomfortable in the heat. Giants brought a doc to IV water lul.

Why is it that certain batters just have ridiculous levels of ownage on lincecum ala desmond and goldschmidt.
Vit Beeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 PM #15
slateman
 
 
slateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chantilly, VA
slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit Beeyer View Post
Wait he really tries to bunt all the time? Lol. Odd.

I can't tell if Lincecum is just continuing to fall off the face of the planet or if he is really uncomfortable in the heat. Giants brought a doc to IV water lul.

Why is it that certain batters just have ridiculous levels of ownage on lincecum ala desmond and goldschmidt.
Yea, he does. Harper is a mess at the plate ever since the Yankees series. He looks like hes' trying to murder the ball every swing. He is consistently beat low and away with breaking stuff. He has lost his patience at the plate.

On the whole, I blame the hype and Rick Eckstein.
__________________
In your haste to save the world, take care you don't destroy it.
slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM #16
Vit Beeyer (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I noticed that Lincecum seems to have the most basic gameplan with Harper and Harper can't do anything about it. I'm predicting first pitch changeup next time Harpers up, just like the 1st ab.
Vit Beeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 PM #17
SmartyJones
Best in the World
 
SmartyJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
SmartyJones helped look for balloons
SmartyJones is playing at Living Legends III
SmartyJones has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
It's a made up stat to estimate how many wins a player contributes to a team. It's as laughable a deciding stat between two players as RBI.
__________________
Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, New York Yankees, Detroit Pistons, Notre Dame
University Of Notre Dame Class of 2010
ZENYATTA - Thanks for all the memories!
2009 STS Most Accurate Poster of the Year
2010 STS:F MVP

XBL - noarmsduck
SmartyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 PM #18
Vit Beeyer (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJones View Post
It's a made up stat to estimate how many wins a player contributes to a team. It's as laughable a deciding stat between two players as RBI.
So we should look at what, Verlanders ERA? Or any number of stats that would indicate he is more exciting than best pitcher in the game no doubt?
Vit Beeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 PM #19
SmartyJones
Best in the World
 
SmartyJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
SmartyJones helped look for balloons
SmartyJones is playing at Living Legends III
SmartyJones has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SmartyJones has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I don't know what your argument was from the previous thread. I just saw WAR mentioned as part of an argument and felt the need to point out that it holds very little weight.
__________________
Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, New York Yankees, Detroit Pistons, Notre Dame
University Of Notre Dame Class of 2010
ZENYATTA - Thanks for all the memories!
2009 STS Most Accurate Poster of the Year
2010 STS:F MVP

XBL - noarmsduck
SmartyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:08 PM #20
Vit Beeyer (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJones View Post
I don't know what your argument was from the previous thread. I just saw WAR mentioned as part of an argument and felt the need to point out that it holds very little weight.
Yeah except the stats guys who came up with the RBI is overrated argument would 100% disagree.
Vit Beeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 PM #21
slateman
 
 
slateman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chantilly, VA
slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartyJones View Post
I don't know what your argument was from the previous thread. I just saw WAR mentioned as part of an argument and felt the need to point out that it holds very little weight.
WAR is a culmination of all the other stats combined in a formula that accurately measures performance of a player.

It's not that it truly measures what a replacement player would do, but that it provides a scale by which to measure players.

A 2.0 WAR player is average to above average, where as a 6-7 WAR player is elite.

And I think RBIs are rather underrated. Seriously, you're scoring runs. Scoring runs = wins. Some guys are just better at it than others. Though I'm sure that somone has a formula involving subracting home runs and blah blah blah
__________________
In your haste to save the world, take care you don't destroy it.
slateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump