PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-15-2014, 03:31 PM #1
Watermelondrea
Ridin' in that 'Gatti

Decisions decisions...

I will be graduating with a B.S. in Finance after this year. At the moment I am working for a financial securities firm that also operates under a larger Broker/Dealer (my boss is an CFA and OSJ). I have had the job for over a year now, hired as an intern and I am now helping our office as well as about 30 independent financial advisers under my boss' supervision change B/D. It's hectic, stressful, fun and rewarding all at the same time.

I have a big decision to make. I have had the intention of getting my Masters for a long while now, particularly my 5-year MBA. However, recently my boss pulled me aside to let me know his ultimate business plan and where I fit in said plan. I am up for ownership of the company when he retires (6 year plan).

Option 1:

The university I am attending is offering a new program, the 5-year MSF (Masters Science in Finance) with a concentration in CFA or CFP. When I found this out I was set, this is what I was going to do. They also offer a dual MSF/MBA, but it is a 2 1/2 year program including summers.

Problem(s): Can't work full time

Option 2:

MBA at a college in my hometown while working full time at the office. Less desirable as I would like to pursue a career in either personal wealth management or corporate finance, but it would get me a Masters while allowing me to work full time. Might take 2 years to achieve MBA.

I could also go for a MBA at the University I am attending now, but I wouldn't be able to work full time.

Problem(s): MBA < MSF, could take 2 years instead of 1

Option 3:

Come home and work! Self-study for CFA exams, Series 6/7/66 and eventually 24 (OSJ).

Problem(s): Could take a long time, only a B.S. in Finance to fall back on if anything happens

I'm leaning toward the 5-year MSF. My boss will wait, I know for a fact that he would like me to take a gap year before grad school, but he will support my decision regardless.

Money is a motivator, and that's why the decision is so tough for me. Quick money in the beginning, or more money in the [near] future?
Watermelondrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement