Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-08-2013, 08:41 PM #1
Markdawanton

How the hell am I going to pick a major?

Long story short I've always wanted to business and major in it in college, but now that I'm here I have no idea what I want to do. I used to own a small eBay shop and worked with a cousin in China in order for the cheap products(keep the racism to a minimum please). It worked out alright seeing as how I could ship from the states and my profit margins were never too bad. Always seemed fun. I also had a Jailbreaking and iPhone repair thing going and again it was always fun. I simply assumed I liked business.

Later in my highschool days I went into "pawning" kids stuff off. Phones, game systems and things of that like and all this "business" was pretty fun.

Here's the fun part. I come to college I hate stat I hate econ pretty much **** all. So what the hell do I do with my life now. I'm in my freshman year at Georgia State(for business), but I really don't think that's what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Anyone got some tips with coming up with a major?
Markdawanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 PM #2
mr dmfizzle

You'll make a good nurse.

/thread
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 AM #3
Markdawanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dmfizzle View Post
You'll make a good nurse.

/thread
Not exactly sure how that relates to anything through your inferences nor did I ask to be directed toward a major, but rather how to pick a suitable one.
Markdawanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:15 PM #4
Barber
Moose Krew.

has been a member for 10 years
Barber plays in the PSP
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
Find an aspect of business to focus on. The general business classes only last so long. No one likes them, everyone gets through them.

Seriously, find something more specific than just 'business.' Supply chain management might interest you, based off of your post.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:16 PM #5
arod11

arod11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
arod11 is an NCPA player
arod11 plays in the APPA D4 division
arod11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
you might as well major in communications
Old 12-19-2013, 02:10 PM #6
ProtoBaller1991
The Grippiest Grip

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
go to art school like I did

I do tv show things

ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:22 PM #7
John Alfred

As you have your interest in business and for business it is necessary to have excellent communication skills and a mind to create innovative ideas, so I would suggest you majors in Marketing that is the most suitable for any business. It will really help you in your life. Besides, other subjects like Economics, Statistics are part of your life. Somewhere in your business you will need their use and implications so never underestimate such subjects as well. These will benefit you some time.
John Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:41 PM #8
Burninator
Punisher of fleshlights

Annual Supporting Member
Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
No one likes every perspective of their degree. I think my first 2 years before I actually got to any real engineering courses were ridiculously stupid and tedious. If you still think the prospect of a business degree is what you want, start talking to professors about different aspects of a business degree and see if that interests you. You might find that there are upper level courses you can take that will make it much more interesting.

If you find that you dont like any of it, maybe you should consider switching majors. Start taking some other courses you are interested in and see if it takes you anywhere.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:59 PM #9
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
FoidPoosening donated to help Peyton Trent
FoidPoosening is playing at Living Legends VI
FoidPoosening supports Bob Gurnsey
FoidPoosening supports our troops
FoidPoosening has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
FoidPoosening is Legendary
FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alfred View Post
As you have your interest in business and for business it is necessary to have excellent communication skills and a mind to create innovative ideas, so I would suggest you majors in Marketing that is the most suitable for any business. It will really help you in your life. Besides, other subjects like Economics, Statistics are part of your life. Somewhere in your business you will need their use and implications so never underestimate such subjects as well. These will benefit you some time.
Good advice but I do disagree with some parts. I'd say major in anything outside of marketing actually if you're interested in sticking with business. Often times marketing degrees miss out on learning the technical applications and theory behind the numbers in business that one might get from finance or economics. That being said, marketing can still take you a long way if you're both passionate about it and good at it. If not, then go for something else.

Remember, more often than not your major will have nothing to do with the job you're at in say 10 years. Business is the widest field by far, which is both a strength and a weakness.

It's a ticket to the race--that's it!

PS. From reading your background, it sounds like you have some entrepreneurial drive/experience in you. Kindle that and take a few entrepreneurship or management classes and see if you like it.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:07 AM #10
Asian5x
David

My personal advice for you is to join the science field (not psychology) especially those that are related to the medical field because you will always have a job and a good pay. I noticed that someone mention nursing, and I would like to warm you about nursing ,nursing is defiantly one of the biggest/ still growing occupation out there. But it take extreme dedication and hard work. I was a nursing major last year and have to charge it because of the extreme academic demand.
Asian5x is offline   Reply With Quote