Community Focus

Old 07-02-2012, 11:13 AM #1
ladd_17
bA What?!?

ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
ladd_17 plays in the PSP
ladd_17 plays in the APPA D3 division
ladd_17 is Boss
How do you feel about concealed carry on campus?

Hey all,

I'm conducting research into the opinions surrounding concealed carry on campus. I'm not interested in trying to change anyone's beliefs on this topic, I am only looking into what the various beliefs on this issue are.

If you would, please post up and give your opinion on this issue, be it for or against, and why you feel that way.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 AM #2
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
It's illegal as of recently. That being said, we just had a security officer robbed at gun point while on duty, on campus.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 AM #3
ladd_17
bA What?!?

ladd_17 plays in the PSP
ladd_17 is Boss
Mind disclosing your state of residence and/or what campus you're on? There are several states where it's not outright illegal.

Also, was this an armed security officer, or one of those rent-a-cop mall security types? The police force here at the University of Cincinnati is a full-on police force, no different than you'd see in any major city.

Last edited by ladd_17 : 07-02-2012 at 11:23 AM.
ladd_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 AM #4
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
very interesting to think about. I go to school in downtown chicago so I don't really have a set campus. And it's illegal in Chicago, so obviously there are neer any gun crimes or robberies . But at a school like university of Iowa where there is a set campus is another thing. Not sure how I feel about it. I'm all for people having concealed weapon licenses, but not sure about students on a college campus. Will be back to read other peoples thoughts
PMR Frame/Board F/s
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:36 AM #5
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladd_17 View Post
Mind disclosing your state of residence? There are several states where it's not outright illegal.
Florida, we had legislation pending until a shooting incident at a fraternity where a gentleman was showing off the "light on his gun" and accidentally shot a young lady and killed her and hitting another person in the wrist.

I was wrong in my original post, it's been illegal for a few years but I'm trying to find out when that happened. I know in the 60's CCW's were allowed on campus in Florida, but it doesn't look like that's been the case for a while.

The person was an FSU Safety Patrol, not the FSUPD, which carry firearms.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM #6
Worr, the wee tot. (Banned)
WTF am I reading?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Florida, we had legislation pending until a shooting incident at a fraternity where a gentleman was showing off the "light on his gun" and accidentally shot a young lady and killed her and hitting another person in the wrist.

I was wrong in my original post, it's been illegal for a few years but I'm trying to find out when that happened. I know in the 60's CCW's were allowed on campus in Florida, but it doesn't look like that's been the case for a while.

The person was an FSU Safety Patrol, not the FSUPD, which carry firearms.
That's what worries me, it seems like a lose-lose situation no matter what. I'm all for responsible individuals having the right to concealed carry, it's a great thing for self defense and defending others, but giving a bunch of drunken idiots the right to conceal firearms just sounds extra dangerous for some reason. I would think that beefing up the campus police force would help against crime involving guns to an extent, but nothing is going to completely eradicate violence/crime in general.
Worr, the wee tot. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 AM #7
F1VENOM

It was a rifle, not a pistol and they never confirmed alcohol was involved.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:33 PM #8
chodeyg
sprezzatura

I'm not big into gun control, for the same reason I'm a fan of the us constitution. But I don't know about guns on campus. Despite what you have read college students aren't all that bright. I would not trust a random student with a handgun period, they are not easy to shoot and there is a HUGE chance that some nervous kid pulls the trigger too hard and hits an innocent student. Which is the scenario you are trying to avoid in the first place.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM #9
ladd_17
bA What?!?

ladd_17 plays in the PSP
ladd_17 is Boss
I guess I should clarify my topic a bit: I'm discussing the idea of extending licensed CHL holders the ability to carry on campus. These are the same people who are already allowed to carry in the general public, and all the same rules would apply on campus as they do anywhere else, ie, if you're drinking, you aren't carrying.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 PM #10
Umami
"That guy"

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladd_17 View Post
I guess I should clarify my topic a bit: I'm discussing the idea of extending licensed CHL holders the ability to carry on campus. These are the same people who are already allowed to carry in the general public, and all the same rules would apply on campus as they do anywhere else, ie, if you're drinking, you aren't carrying.
But dumb kids are dumb, and many students would be able to get a CHL permit and "show off the lights on their guns". I foresee a lot of rich idiot frat kids with expensive handguns and laser sights, only able to get a CHL because they haven't been around long enough to make their stupid known. Giving a kid a CCW permit on campus the same time as you give them legal permission to drink... GREAT IDEA.

I mean really, the idea that people who are capable of getting a CHL are intelligent and responsible is a farce, but a lot of cops and criminals are idiots too so eh... \(_o)/

I guess I feel like on most campuses gun crimes are few and far between, and allowing it would be an invitation to too many accidents/suicides/homicides. Keep in mind that full-time college students are not the most mentally stable demographic.

Last edited by Umami : 07-02-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:18 PM #11
ladd_17
bA What?!?

ladd_17 plays in the PSP
ladd_17 is Boss
For those of you who are saying you're opposed to carry on campus, how do you feel about concealed carry in general society?

@Umami, would you suggest that the minimum age for CHL applications should be raised?

Last edited by ladd_17 : 07-02-2012 at 01:21 PM.
ladd_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 PM #12
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
I'm not big into gun control, for the same reason I'm a fan of the us constitution. But I don't know about guns on campus. Despite what you have read college students aren't all that bright. I would not trust a random student with a handgun period, they are not easy to shoot and there is a HUGE chance that some nervous kid pulls the trigger too hard and hits an innocent student. Which is the scenario you are trying to avoid in the first place.
Well don't you have to take safety classes and what not to get the license? I would trust myself anywhere with a concealed pistol only because I've taken safety classes and been on shooting teams. If everyone knew how to handle firearms as well me/other competitive shooters/avid shooters who aren't stupd. This probably wouldnt be an issue. Someone getting the license and being crazy is another story though.
PMR Frame/Board F/s
Old 07-02-2012, 02:39 PM #13
pyromaniacs1
RIP 1016

pyromaniacs1 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I'm a huge advocate for carrying a weapon for self defense, but I can agree with some people saying it isn't the best of ideas to have it on a college campus. Sure, it's nice to think you might be able to save the day and shoot the crazy guy who snaps, but what happens when 20 kids in the Common area all pull their concealed weapons to start shooting at the one lunatic with a rifle? Just seems like a tough situation.

And the justification that knowing people are armed would reduce the likelihood of a school shooting isn't a viable one, in my opinion, as 9 times out of 10, the person shooting students isn't a very rational individual to begin with.

However, I do see it being beneficial in the case of campus security, as far as assaults/rapes/violent crimes.

*edit: Civilians are not legally allowed to carry weapons on state-owned property in North Carolina, which is where I am. I've even been hassled about my pocket knife on several occasions.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 PM #14
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit

Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
I know some people who are responsible enough to handle it but the vast majority of my friends wouldn't be able to handle it. Our campus police are sheriffs deputies so they carry side arms and have shotguns/ARs in their cars.

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:06 PM #15
F1VENOM

I'm far less worried about being shot by an idiot than I am shot by a criminal, but maybe that's because I don't associate with known idiots and damn sure don't stick around if one starts swinging a gun around. There's a lot of armed violence in and around my campus and I'm glad I can carry when I'm not on campus and glad that I have the option to not go on campus at night.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:08 PM #16
pastel (Banned)

nah, theres no reason to on campus. if your campus already has a police force then whats the point? chances are the person with the permit may just accidentally shoot another student via lack of training.
pastel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 PM #17
Worr, the wee tot. (Banned)
WTF am I reading?!

Edit^ The problem with that is that not all campus security guards carry guns, and armed campus police can't be everywhere at once. If a decent percentage of students are allowed to exercise their right to carry, it could be as effective as having police everywhere. Smart criminals would be less likely to threaten someone with a gun, knowing their lives are truly at risk for doing so, since there can be people ready and willing to "put him down."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoBaller1991 View Post
Well don't you have to take safety classes and what not to get the license? I would trust myself anywhere with a concealed pistol only because I've taken safety classes and been on shooting teams. If everyone knew how to handle firearms as well me/other competitive shooters/avid shooters who aren't stupd. This probably wouldnt be an issue. Someone getting the license and being crazy is another story though.
Stupidity and irresponsibility are the problem here, I think. You have to attend Driver's Education to get your driving license, but there are still deadly accidents every day due to stupidity. There's also a big difference between knowing how to properly shoot a gun, and being able to stay calm and rational under the extreme pressure of a life or death situation. Even policemen mistakenly shoot civilians at times.

This isn't an attack on carrying guns, just considering the negative points to allowing CC permits to apply on school grounds.

Last edited by Worr, the wee tot. : 07-02-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Worr, the wee tot. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 PM #18
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worr, the wee tot. View Post

Stupidity and irresponsibility are the problem here, I think. You have to attend Driver's Education to get your driving license, but there are still deadly accidents every day due to stupidity. There's also a big difference between knowing how to properly shoot a gun, and being able to stay calm and rational under the extreme pressure of a life or death situation. Even policemen mistakenly shoot civilians at times.

This isn't an attack on carrying guns, just considering the negative points to allowing CC permits to apply on school grounds.
true, true.
I think even if CC was allowed on any campus, not that many people would even bother to get the permits. It'd be safer just to hire more armed security guards than to allow CC permits on campus.
PMR Frame/Board F/s
Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 PM #19
ladd_17
bA What?!?

ladd_17 plays in the PSP
ladd_17 is Boss
Thanks for all your responses.

Would anyone else care to chime in?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:00 AM #20
Gmankilla

I personaly think its a good idea. People have a concealed weapon license isn't going to make matters worse. If a student wants to bring a gun to school and kill someone or rob someone/something, then he's going to do it. The license isn't going to make a difference in that prospective. Having a concealed weapon is for protection, not to kill. It's not the gun that kills people, its the person behind the gun.
Gmankilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:54 AM #21
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
I support concealed carry but honestly college campuses are one type of place that it's really not necessary. In the day there's nothing to fight about (unless you feel reallllly strongly about how to calculate the rate of ice melting above a nuclear submarine in thermodynamics class) and at night there will be alcohol and women present, neither of which lend themselves well to logical, level-headed thinking required for responsible control of a firearm.

Beyond the mile long list of situations where pulling a gun can get you into trouble on a college campus, there are a few specific reasons why I don't see it necessary to carry. First and foremost, you are less likely to escalate a situation if you do not have the sense of security and confidence a concealed carry permit gives you. Therefore, by not carrying, you are less likely to encounter a serious situation in the first place. If you are worried about your safety in an unprovoked attack, carry a knife and be done with it, or better yet, seek professional training in self defense that does not involve your use of a conventional weapon.

gman - The problem with concealed carry on campus is not a psycho going around killing off innocent students a dozen at a time. It's a drunken tough guy getting a bright idea.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote