Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 PM #1
Crimmins

MR4 and HPA

Howdy. My nephew just bought a new Spyder MR4. In the instruction manual it keeps saying "CO2 / Compressed air" in the sections regarding such things. Unlike the manual for my 2012 Fenix it doesn't say anywhere in the manual that it will run on both CO2 and HPA. Does this mean it'll run on HPA right out of the box or does he need to get a reg for the gun first?
Crimmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 PM #2
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
Its Always ok to use Air or Nitrogen on your markers, they are more stable to use and typically considered less dirty. No matter what tank you have they all have built in regulators, High pressure is about 850psi output pressure in a 45cu/in tank with a overall pressure of 3000 or 4500 psi. There are low pressure tank regulators that put out 400-650psi. Then you take that pressure in your marker and either use it like that or regulate the pressure via marker reg to a more precise application.

tl;dr yes its fine

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:52 PM #3
Crimmins

Cool. Always good to know. Now just to be clear before I tell him he's got the thumbs up to use HPA... For the MR4 he'll be looking at using an HPA tank with an output pressure around what... 800-850 psi? CO2 head pressure is 800 psi is it not? Or if I'm wrong... what would you recommend for this particular marker stock outta the box?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:23 AM #4
ferret15
STTB connoisseur

Annual Supporting Member
ferret15 donated to help Peyton Trent
either or is fine. I haven't use HPA in a few years and sold my tank because it was out of hydro. With HPA most people only have 1 tank and fills are more expensive. I play on peoples farms basically, and i'd rather have 5 20oz CO2 tanks ready than really on 1 HPA tank. I think its like cost me $12 bucks to get it filled last time where its like $3 for my CO2 tanks. If you play at fields with free fills HPA isn't a big deal, you just go back and get it filled when ever.

For an MR4, I'd say make sure you get the High pressure reg on the tank to be sure.

I'm all out of ideas again and this text is so plain.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this new look.
ferret15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:39 AM #5
Crimmins

Cool thank you kindly.

What's odd... Around here there are more fields offering free HPA fills than CO2. The indoor field we play during the cold season has HPA for free... They claim it's $4 a fill for 20oz CO2, but they don't enforce that on BYOP days so it's good either way. The outdoor field we just played last Sunday though... They want $9 for a fill on a 20oz CO2 tank. HPA is self serve, and free. And they're not the only ones either. Seems like the trend around here is free HPA and cash on CO2... and the more remote the field is the higher price their CO2 fills are. So with the $9 fills, that'll pay for their HPA tank in 3 visits (they way they play. bit conservative on the ammo )
Old 06-06-2012, 05:44 PM #6
likeaboss4212

i too had that gun. a suggestion would be to stay away from high pressure tanks. or it leaks.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM #7
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
thats not a great suggestion, go for the hap, much better.
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 AM #8
Tempted (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret15 View Post
either or is fine. I haven't use HPA in a few years and sold my tank because it was out of hydro. With HPA most people only have 1 tank and fills are more expensive. I play on peoples farms basically, and i'd rather have 5 20oz CO2 tanks ready than really on 1 HPA tank. I think its like cost me $12 bucks to get it filled last time where its like $3 for my CO2 tanks. If you play at fields with free fills HPA isn't a big deal, you just go back and get it filled when ever.

For an MR4, I'd say make sure you get the High pressure reg on the tank to be sure.
It cost you $12 to fill an HPA tank?

Every field I've been at/reffed at in the last 5 years prefer you use HPA since, by now, most fields have compressors. It only costs the price of fuel which is minimal to fill HPA tanks, while it costs more for CO2. No field I've ever been to has a CO2 generator.

If the field doesn't have an HPA compressor then chances are they are filling with nitrogen. Even better than HPA. Typically to fill with nitrogen you are looking at $3-$4 per fill depending on your tank.

All that said, I prefer CO2 on my pumps and scenario style markers. Smaller tanks that provide more shots per fill.
Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote