PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-30-2012, 02:39 AM #22
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrofreak12 View Post
If you do look at 1 pieces the Lurker Eigenbarrel is probably the best out there.
Nah, they are objectively not the best. They are quite cheap though.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 PM #23
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is playing at Living Legends V
Racso is playing at Living Legends VI
Racso is playing at Living Legends VII
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
Nah, they are objectively not the best. They are quite cheap though.
please explain...
Racso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 PM #24
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racso View Post
please explain...
When it comes to barrels manufacturing quality is one of the primary differences. The Lurker is a fine design but in my experience has one of the lowest manufacturing quality levels on the market. This probably helps allow it to be cheap.

I know this could be met with consternation, but it's the truth.

Last edited by drgonzo : 07-31-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 PM #25
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
When it comes to barrels manufacturing quality is one of the primary differences. The Lurker is a fine design but in my experience has one of the lowest manufacturing quality levels on the market. This probably helps allow it to be cheap.

I know this could be met with consternation, but it's the truth.
Apparently you can see something I cannot. With my lurker I can attest that at least anything visual would be hard to pick up, and I have seen barrels that have defects that could be picked up by the naked eye.

Also, explain how lurker's quality is any worse than what is probably the most popular barrel, the Freak Kit. Freak inserts were well known to not have any consistency with bore size (until the SS ones improved this issue). I would imagine boom sticks have a pretty decent quality, but earlier models had too large of a bore, weighed too much, and cost too much to be considered a reasonable barrel. The cost of newer newer models don't really justify their improvements.

And please explain what you mean by your experience. Have you had numerous lurker barrels?

I am not trying to start an argument, but just trying to get an explanation of what you mean, because you and I have had very different experiences with the same product.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:48 PM #26
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racso View Post
Apparently you can see something I cannot. With my lurker I can attest that at least anything visual would be hard to pick up, and I have seen barrels that have defects that could be picked up by the naked eye.

Also, explain how lurker's quality is any worse than what is probably the most popular barrel, the Freak Kit. Freak inserts were well known to not have any consistency with bore size (until the SS ones improved this issue). I would imagine boom sticks have a pretty decent quality, but earlier models had too large of a bore, weighed too much, and cost too much to be considered a reasonable barrel. The cost of newer newer models don't really justify their improvements.

And please explain what you mean by your experience. Have you had numerous lurker barrels?

I am not trying to start an argument, but just trying to get an explanation of what you mean, because you and I have had very different experiences with the same product.
Freaks are not really a good standard of comparison, they may be THE worst qualitywise. However AFAIK freaks are no longer on the market, and I have not heard much about the current freak's quality.

That said, Eigenbarrels have had some reported instances of sizing issues as well. Comparing the inside and outside finishes of my lurker barrel and others I have seen, it is really a cut below most modern aftermarket barrels, and especially the high end ones. The exterior polish is literally wavy (dust owners may never see this) and the honing inside the barrel is visibly less fine (a deliberate choice by the manufacturer). The anno is quite thin (and type 2 AFAIK) and there is a large blot of paint or nail polish covering what I assume is an anode mark at the breech end.

I have noticed similar reports from others as well. Generally these reports come from people who are looking for differences; a lot of people are not really looking that closely and/or may not have other things to compare them to. Barrel weight is not a quality issue.

Please note I am not saying the quality of these barrels is bad. Only that it is lower than many competitors'.

Last edited by drgonzo : 08-01-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:25 PM #27
UG2
UK

UG2 supports DLX Technology
Dye CF Boomstick is the most accurate barrel i've used
UG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:52 PM #28
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
Freaks are not really a good standard of comparison, they may be THE worst qualitywise. However AFAIK freaks are no longer on the market, and I have not heard much about the current freak's quality.
First, freaks are back on the market (from both GoG and Empire), and I believe they re-released the SS ones as well. Not to mention, many people buy barrels that can accept freak inserts or they even get their barrel drilled for freak inserts. That being said, I agree the quality is very sub-par (possible one of the worst for the popularity level), but like I said, they are possibly the most popular barrel kit, and that is what makes it comparable.

Quote:
That said, Eigenbarrels have had some reported instances of sizing issues as well. Comparing the inside and outside finishes of my lurker barrel and others I have seen, it is really a cut below most modern aftermarket barrels, and especially the high end ones. The exterior polish is literally wavy (dust owners may never see this) and the honing inside the barrel is visibly less fine (a deliberate choice by the manufacturer). The anno is quite thin (and type 2 AFAIK) and there is a large blot of paint or nail polish covering what I assume is an anode mark at the breech end.

I have noticed similar reports from others as well. Generally these reports come from people who are looking for differences; a lot of people are not really looking that closely and/or may not have other things to compare them to. Barrel weight is not a quality issue.

Please note I am not saying the quality of these barrels is bad. Only that it is lower than many competitors'.
Mine is dust so I cannot comment on polish quality.

Mine too has the mark on the breach end, but didn't have the nail polish, but I've seen this on other barrels as well (don't have my stuff to double check all that I have, but this is something I've seen many times before). Chalk this up to something I've come to accept but this doesn't bother me.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 PM #29
drgonzo
Half-cocked

All anodized things will have a mark where the anodes touch but on my barrel it's also painted over with something which I rarely if ever see. Anyway, again, not that the quality is bad but other barrels are made to better specifications and quality levels. Eigenbarrels are an economic choice. A pretty compelling one at that.