PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM #1
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Should I keep my dog?

So here is the deal. I recently accepted a 6 month old French Bulldog.

That's Libby.
I love her to death, I take great care of her, and I will continue to take great care of her, but unfortunately at this time in my life I am not 100% sure I will be able to keep her for her entire life.

I'm 23, I just started my own business, and I work from home. But I'm looking to expand, and within a year or so I may have offices and no longer work from home.

Knowing that in around a year I may be away from home 8+ hours a day, I would need to find some sort of alternative arrangements her. There is a chance that if I get very busy, I may even have to give her up because A) I will refuse to own a dog if I cannot take proper care of her, and B) I cannot own a dog if it comes as a detriment to my work.

So that leaves me with the dilema now. Do I keep her and let her grow into my home only for her to possibly have to join a new family later, or do I give her up soon so re-homing isn't as difficult for her later.

And I will NOT give her to a shelter, I will take the necessary time to find her a family that will love her as much as I do.

What do you guys think about this situation?

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2012, 03:02 PM #2
boarderguy64

boarderguy64 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
If she ever needs a home, ill take her. no joke.

experienced dog owner, currently have an English bulldog who is 4.

ive always loved french bulldogs, good friend of mine has one atm. they are great animals.

i hope you decide to keep her, but if you change your mind, please pm me.
"Originally Posted by Texas56
OF course teh gay pr0n is 1337."
boarderguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM #3
comom

Honestly, those are all things you should have thought about before you adopted her. Now that I got that off my chest- there are tons of people who work 8 hour days and have dogs. You could hire someone to let her out during the day, enroll her in "doggie day care", etc.
comom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:58 AM #4
leland1
Fabulito

Working a full time job is no reason to give up an animal I work 8 hour days alot and i hate leaving my cat alone especially when he meows and whines as i leave and for the next hour or 2 and is waiting for me at the door when i get home Get her something to do or a buddy or doggie daycare or depending on the business train her well and bring her with
Old 06-19-2012, 08:03 AM #5
shunut
Respected, period.

Annual Supporting Member
shunut is a Supporting Member
shunut is BST Trusted
shunut donated to help Peyton Trent
shunut is playing at Living Legends VII
shunut owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
If you had a kid, and the same situation occurred would you give them up?

When you decided to accept Libby, it was like you were getting married or having a kid. "Until death do us part". I help run a rescue and I think its amazing that people think because its just a pet that breaking that commitment is okay. If working was going to be an issue, you should have never gotten her in the first place. However, if you plan on giving her up, do it now. The older an animal gets, the harder it is to find a new home for them. Secondly, animals form bonds, just like humans, and when you break that bond, they get depressed, just like humans. Like everyone else said, working is no excuse, find someone who can let you Libby out, get a doggie door so she can let herself out, or take her to doggie daycare. I also like the idea of bringing her with you to work, if you're the owner and you are worried about leaving her at home, this seems like a good option.
shunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 AM #6
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by comom View Post
Honestly, those are all things you should have thought about before you adopted her. Now that I got that off my chest- there are tons of people who work 8 hour days and have dogs. You could hire someone to let her out during the day, enroll her in "doggie day care", etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunut View Post
If you had a kid, and the same situation occurred would you give them up?

When you decided to accept Libby, it was like you were getting married or having a kid. "Until death do us part". I help run a rescue and I think its amazing that people think because its just a pet that breaking that commitment is okay. If working was going to be an issue, you should have never gotten her in the first place. However, if you plan on giving her up, do it now. The older an animal gets, the harder it is to find a new home for them. Secondly, animals form bonds, just like humans, and when you break that bond, they get depressed, just like humans. Like everyone else said, working is no excuse, find someone who can let you Libby out, get a doggie door so she can let herself out, or take her to doggie daycare. I also like the idea of bringing her with you to work, if you're the owner and you are worried about leaving her at home, this seems like a good option.
Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of a decision when I accepted her. It wasn't a formal adoption, it was an "if you DON'T take her she will remain in a bad living situation". The choice was clear. And even if I couldn't keep her, I would have been able to find her a better home than the one she was in then. Those were the only two options and I'm trying to do what I can to make it work so I do not have to go with the latter latter of the two.

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:26 PM #7
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i would try hard to keep her. like said above a lot of people work and have dogs. sounds like you care and are trying to do right for her which is very unselfish though gl either way.
if you had your own business whats to stop you from taking her with occasionally?

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is online now   Reply With Quote