Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 PM #1
spinny2559
just missed 2k4
 
spinny2559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
any skeet or trap shooters here?

I recently tried shooting trap and I enjoyed it, so I'm thinking about continuing. The only problem is that my home defense 12g slug gun with an 18.5" barrel really doesn't do the trick.

So I'm looking at picking up a used single action 12G to use until I decide if I like trap enough to warrat buying a nice gun.

I found a Baikal IZH-18EM-M for under $150 in good condition, 28" barrel, 12G, single shot. Will this be decent for a beginner for the time being?

thanks!
__________________

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2012, 01:23 PM #2
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***
 
imhungry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: OH - IO
 has been a member for 10 years
i do a little. my grandpa recently gave me a heym over/under 20 gauge he got from a customer 15 years ago that i have taken out a few times. i also have a 12 gauge benelli supernova pump but i haaaaate using a pump for that. I prefer a 20 gauge because of how fast you can handle them. anything 10-28 gauge is fine but you will have a hell of a time with a 10 and i would recommend anything 12-20.


auto loaders and over/under are the best IMO but they are pricey (especially over/unders). my heym retails anywhere from $1-4k depending on the condition. if you are in the market for an over under or side by side you are looking at at least 1k+, semi's are a bit cheaper.


and that would be an alright gun to begin with. i like having the capability of being able to shoot doubles but yea that will be fine. 28inch barrel is alright although with a 12 gauge you will be a bit slower so you might want to check out a 30+ inch barrel for more stability.

Last edited by imhungry : 06-27-2012 at 01:25 PM.
imhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:15 PM #3
BodyCount81
Jerrah
 
BodyCount81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
I would recommend getting something that will hold more shells. Hungry stated that he didn't like using a pump, but it doesn't bother me at all. I also have a Benelli Supernova which is what I use.

Try looking for a gun called the Maverick 88. They shouldn't be to much more than the 150 for that gun. Maybe in the 200 range.
__________________
"Get on that fifty! Someone get on that fifty!"

"It's mine."
BodyCount81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 PM #4
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***
 
imhungry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: OH - IO
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81 View Post
I would recommend getting something that will hold more shells. Hungry stated that he didn't like using a pump, but it doesn't bother me at all. I also have a Benelli Supernova which is what I use.

Try looking for a gun called the Maverick 88. They shouldn't be to much more than the 150 for that gun. Maybe in the 200 range.
yea the type of gun really comes down to preference. ive always used an over under or a side by side (i dont like a side by side for skeet/trap, just in general) so its more comfortable for me. i also like only having 2 shots, adds a bit more sport to it.


if you want to shell out a little more cash i really love the benelli firearms. i have a supernova and a few of my friends have novas and some of their semi's and they are all great. mossberg 500 and remmington 870 are a couple others i really like and are good all around outfits and are relatively cheap.
imhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 PM #5
spinny2559
just missed 2k4
 
spinny2559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
I ended up getting that gun for $130, took it trap shooting today for 3 rounds and got 11, 12, 14, not bad for my second time shooting trap if I have permission to toot my horn slightly.

But pump or semi doesn't make a difference for trap here because we're only allowed to load one shell at a time.
__________________

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM #6
BodyCount81
Jerrah
 
BodyCount81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
yea the type of gun really comes down to preference. ive always used an over under or a side by side (i dont like a side by side for skeet/trap, just in general) so its more comfortable for me. i also like only having 2 shots, adds a bit more sport to it.


if you want to shell out a little more cash i really love the benelli firearms. i have a supernova and a few of my friends have novas and some of their semi's and they are all great. mossberg 500 and remmington 870 are a couple others i really like and are good all around outfits and are relatively cheap.
For shotguns I've heard the three B's are the ones to go with. Benelli, Beretta, and I guess the last one would be Browning?

I don't go to a range because there isn't one close but half the time we will load up 3 and have two thrown straight out with someone off to the side with a hand thrower humming one across the middle. You can really get those hand throwers to sling them fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinny2559 View Post
I ended up getting that gun for $130, took it trap shooting today for 3 rounds and got 11, 12, 14, not bad for my second time shooting trap if I have permission to toot my horn slightly.

But pump or semi doesn't make a difference for trap here because we're only allowed to load one shell at a time.
I don't know if that's a good score or not. But if you ever decide to upgrade guns in the future, I would check out the Benelli's. They are nice. My Supernova was 520 new and I think the regular Nova's are about 100 less.
__________________
"Get on that fifty! Someone get on that fifty!"

"It's mine."
BodyCount81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 PM #7
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***
 
imhungry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: OH - IO
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81 View Post
For shotguns I've heard the three B's are the ones to go with. Benelli, Beretta, and I guess the last one would be Browning?

I don't go to a range because there isn't one close but half the time we will load up 3 and have two thrown straight out with someone off to the side with a hand thrower humming one across the middle. You can really get those hand throwers to sling them fast.

I don't know if that's a good score or not. But if you ever decide to upgrade guns in the future, I would check out the Benelli's. They are nice. My Supernova was 520 new and I think the regular Nova's are about 100 less.
yea brownings are great. definitely cannot go wrong with those. mossberg and remmington make quality workhorse firearms that are reliable and cheap alternatives to the 3 brands you listed.

for over/unders and side by sides i am a huge fan of weatherby and really like my heym (although they are apparently pretty rare in the US). those guns get really expensive though and its not hard to spend 2-5k on a nice piece. i definitely would not have one right now if it was not gifted to me.

i got my supernova last year for 499 and yea, novas are about 100 cheaper starting. definitely recommend the brand when you decide to upgrade.

Quote:
I ended up getting that gun for $130, took it trap shooting today for 3 rounds and got 11, 12, 14, not bad for my second time shooting trap if I have permission to toot my horn slightly.

But pump or semi doesn't make a difference for trap here because we're only allowed to load one shell at a time.
not bad at all, definitely better then the first few times i went. i am hopefully going to be able to go out this weekend or on the 4th. there are no ranges real close by so its sort of a pain.
imhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 PM #8
BodyCount81
Jerrah
 
BodyCount81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
I would love an over/under or side by side but I've got other gun purchases I want to so before those.

The maverick I was talking about is the cheaper version of the Mossberg 500. I want one with a 18-20" barrel and a long tube that holds 8 for home defense. Would also put a pistol grip on it for carry in my truck.
__________________
"Get on that fifty! Someone get on that fifty!"

"It's mine."
BodyCount81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 AM #9
Fat Joe
 
 
Fat Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MASSachusetts
Annual Supporting Member
Fat Joe is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fat Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm a hardcore skeeter.
__________________
Beast Mode: Activated
big as I wanna be
HHAP Founder
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 AM #10
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***
 
imhungry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: OH - IO
 has been a member for 10 years
pistol grips are growing on me. i used to not like them on shotguns but the more i shoot one the more i like it. i dont think i would ever use one for bird hunting but they are great for defense and i think i might like one for deer or bigger game.
imhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:30 AM #11
spinny2559
just missed 2k4
 
spinny2559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81 View Post
For shotguns I've heard the three B's are the ones to go with. Benelli, Beretta, and I guess the last one would be Browning?

I don't go to a range because there isn't one close but half the time we will load up 3 and have two thrown straight out with someone off to the side with a hand thrower humming one across the middle. You can really get those hand throwers to sling them fast.

I don't know if that's a good score or not. But if you ever decide to upgrade guns in the future, I would check out the Benelli's. They are nice. My Supernova was 520 new and I think the regular Nova's are about 100 less.
It's not a bad score, it's 25 clays per round, the regulars there were getting 17-23 I'd say, so I'm OK with around 13 for my first time using a somewhat trap-ish gun.

Last time I went I was using a home defense gun and got 1 clay in 2 rounds, terrible, hah.
But I'm probably gonna stick with this for now. I'm moving to NYC next month and I need to find alternative plans for my guns then because they can't come with me.
__________________

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:33 AM #12
spinny2559
just missed 2k4
 
spinny2559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81 View Post
I would love an over/under or side by side but I've got other gun purchases I want to so before those.

The maverick I was talking about is the cheaper version of the Mossberg 500. I want one with a 18-20" barrel and a long tube that holds 8 for home defense. Would also put a pistol grip on it for carry in my truck.
The Maverick 88 is a decent gun, I've shot it before. Definitely one of the best home defense guns for around $200, and it is a Moosberg essentially so you know you're not getting crapola (even if it isn't a real Mossberg).

A nice 18" stagecoach side by side is on my list of things to get one day, but more a "Don't mess with this house" wall piece. I want to get the wood artificially aged and laser engraved with something typical of the 1800s, but it's still a brand new gun. BAMF.
__________________

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:38 AM #13
spinny2559
just missed 2k4
 
spinny2559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
pistol grips are growing on me. i used to not like them on shotguns but the more i shoot one the more i like it. i dont think i would ever use one for bird hunting but they are great for defense and i think i might like one for deer or bigger game.
I have an Ithaca 37 for home defense (I call it the "God Forbid Gun"). It originally had a pistol grip on it but I upgraded to a tactical stock with pistol grip too. Here is my suggestion to you. Take a (unloaded) shotgun with a pistol grip and have a friend try to wrestle it from you while pointed at him. Then do the same with a gun with a pistol grip AND stock. Then ask yourself which shotgun you'd want if you were ever faced with that unfortunate predicament for real. The gun with the stock gives you an INCREDIBLE amount of control, however less cool it looks.
__________________

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump