sixsixsix69
Aggressively Lazy

Annual Supporting Member
sixsixsix69 is a Supporting Member
sixsixsix69 is a founding member
sixsixsix69 is a Paintball photographer
sixsixsix69 supports Team VICIOUS
sixsixsix69 posts videos on PbNation
First happy result with the brenizer method.

Go towards the light by 1904 Photography™, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
Anybody here have a Canon 24-70 2.8? I'm interested in picking one up for video but the price is ridiculous. I was just wondering if it's comparable to the Sigma equivalent.
Never used the sigma... but the Canon is the ****... I would get it if I could afford it... best walk around lens imo.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 PM #1829
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Yeah, it is a crop. I'll take a look at it, thanks.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:18 PM #1830
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
I have a 24-70L but never used the sigma, though I've heard good things. I will say I liked the canon a lot more when I went full frame.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:21 PM #1831
K-9
name's ryon. hi

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
K-9 plays in the PSP
K-9 donated to help Peyton Trent
K-9 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Yeah, it is a crop. I'll take a look at it, thanks.
For sure. If you really don't want to break the bank, the Tammy 17-50 non VC is also a great lens. And for 350 bucks for a 2.8, it cannot be beat
Old 09-19-2012, 12:22 PM #1832
Skipperdawg
Go Big or Go Homo

Skipperdawg is a Paintball photographer
Skipperdawg plays in the PSP
Skipperdawg supports Team VICIOUS
Skipperdawg is an NCPA player
Skipperdawg is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post
Baby's still a bit red but that might just be because you're holding her upside down
no needed, that's why she's red

RIP SkipsPics - I'll Miss You Vicious - Photomob
Jerky Bob Fan Club - WVU Paintball - PPSC
Greensburg Distortion MXL #3 - Eastern Conf Champs 2009 We Came, We Won, They Canceled the League
My Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1461486
Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 PM #1833
courter_man_08
I am Zachariah

Stretch.........holy awesome. i wish my brenizer's turned out that good

R.I.P. Rob Kerr 2/1/91 - 3/15/10
R.I.P. Dad 3/6/60 - 6/15/09
Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM #1834
K-9
name's ryon. hi

Annual Supporting Member
K-9 plays in the PSP
Btw, awesome shot Stretch

Whenever I try the brenizer method, I always fail, hard
Old 09-19-2012, 12:34 PM #1835
courter_man_08
I am Zachariah

i think it's about time i to try to learn Photoshop. LR4 is decent, i know how to use it fairly well, but i'm beginning to think that it's a rather large editing crutch.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 PM #1836
sixsixsix69
Aggressively Lazy

Annual Supporting Member
Zach... There was a brenizer shot of yours that made me want to try this shot while we were shooting (Helen, Chris and I were shooting off a paintball field!!! haha)

Thanks for the good words guys.

Zach, whats your reasoning for LR? I use bridge and PS and have my own filing system so I see no use for LR. I bought it to put on my laptop a while ago, but Dan told me that it is probably just as much a drag on the processing power as bridge and PS... So I don't use it anymore.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:01 PM #1837
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

Quote:
Anybody here have a Canon 24-70 2.8? I'm interested in picking one up for video but the price is ridiculous. I was just wondering if it's comparable to the Sigma equivalent.

the 24-105 is cheaper, has IS, doesn't extend backwards like the 24-70.. it's just a better video lens. it's also easier to pull focus on the fly because of the slightly thinner barrel (I shoot skateboarding with it). if you need low light, you're better off with primes, getting a zoom with a large aperture for video is pointless in my eyes. you'll end up stopping down to add some dof.

edit: pardon if what I just posted upsets you video shooters who think shallow dof is the end all be all of good looking video.

Last edited by skwirnmn : 09-19-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:05 PM #1838
courter_man_08
I am Zachariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsixsix69 View Post
Zach... There was a brenizer shot of yours that made me want to try this shot while we were shooting (Helen, Chris and I were shooting off a paintball field!!! haha)

Thanks for the good words guys.

Zach, whats your reasoning for LR? I use bridge and PS and have my own filing system so I see no use for LR. I bought it to put on my laptop a while ago, but Dan told me that it is probably just as much a drag on the processing power as bridge and PS... So I don't use it anymore.
oh yea, which shot was that? and i definitely need to hang out with some more photographers before i go insane haha.

LR is great for simple work and doing a number of similar photos at a time. but if you have to do any sort of cloning, merging, watermark variety, etc it's almost impossible. the selling point and downfall of LR is the fact that everything on it are basic sliders. it's great if you are getting started in processing (being that everything is simplified), but it's been frustrating me a lot when trying to do more complex post work.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 PM #1839
sixsixsix69
Aggressively Lazy

Annual Supporting Member
I went through your flickr trying to find the shot, but I cant find it. It was a shot of a car in an open cement lot.

Do you shoot in RAW? ACR (adobe Camera Raw) seems like a majority of what LR is and its where I do a majority of my PP work. And its just a bunch of sliders with some spot cloning and adjustment brushes. On top of all the lens correction and what not.

Last edited by sixsixsix69 : 09-19-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 PM #1840
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by courter_man_08 View Post
oh yea, which shot was that? and i definitely need to hang out with some more photographers before i go insane haha.

LR is great for simple work and doing a number of similar photos at a time. but if you have to do any sort of cloning, merging, watermark variety, etc it's almost impossible. the selling point and downfall of LR is the fact that everything on it are basic sliders. it's great if you are getting started in processing (being that everything is simplified), but it's been frustrating me a lot when trying to do more complex post work.
love it (LR) and hate PS. I also use another pro photo app for skin/touch up as it's more automated than PS. The best thing about it is pressing ctrl + v to breeze through photos. You can do that with actions, I know, but seems easier in LR to do 99% of what you need and then the 1% of photos to photoshop (mostly with mine is just reframing/knocking harder things out of the photo)
Old 09-19-2012, 01:48 PM #1841
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwirnmn View Post
the 24-105 is cheaper, has IS, doesn't extend backwards like the 24-70.. it's just a better video lens. it's also easier to pull focus on the fly because of the slightly thinner barrel (I shoot skateboarding with it). if you need low light, you're better off with primes, getting a zoom with a large aperture for video is pointless in my eyes. you'll end up stopping down to add some dof.

edit: pardon if what I just posted upsets you video shooters who think shallow dof is the end all be all of good looking video.
I was considering the 105 as well. I've just been reading up on the lenses and apparently the 70 was the go-to lens (from what I understood, anyhow).

I just need something in the middle. I plan on picking up a 50mm and a 70-200 at some point, so I figured the 70 would be ideal. Perhaps I should just rent a few and see for myself.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:53 PM #1842
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
IS @ f4 vs. non-IS at 2.8 for video? I'd always always choose IS @ f4 with the ability to go from 24-105. For stills? 2.8, but for video f4 w/IS
Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 PM #1843
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Thanks for the insight.

I've never owned or even used anything that was under f4, so I just assumed "the lower the better" as it would give me more options.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 PM #1844
courter_man_08
I am Zachariah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsixsix69 View Post
I went through your flickr trying to find the shot, but I cant find it. It was a shot of a car in an open cement lot.

Do you shoot in RAW? ACR (adobe Camera Raw) seems like a majority of what LR is and its where I do a majority of my PP work. And its just a bunch of sliders with some spot cloning and adjustment brushes. On top of all the lens correction and what not.
this one?

i shoot on M-RAW (3888x2592). though, the only reason why i don't normally shoot on full RAW is because of card space. but, now that i think of it, i rarely ever fill up a card anymore.

but yea, ACR and LR are very similar. it would be an easy jump between the two. but in LR you can't do brenizer's. there's no option for importing/pasting multiple photos into one shot.

another thing that i don't like about LR is the gradient filters. you can't do any sort of curved filter. also, if you wanted to do some sort of sun flare, i haven't found a way to do a quality "soft light". it can be pretty annoying sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fainerbainer View Post
love it (LR) and hate PS. I also use another pro photo app for skin/touch up as it's more automated than PS. The best thing about it is pressing ctrl + v to breeze through photos. You can do that with actions, I know, but seems easier in LR to do 99% of what you need and then the 1% of photos to photoshop (mostly with mine is just reframing/knocking harder things out of the photo)
the reason why i switched to LR is because i couldn't figure out PS.

and i do that a lot too. once i figure out a good starting setup on the set i'm doing, i'll copy the settings and then paste it into the shots i'm going to use. then i'll go into each one and fine tune them.

also, on a completely ADD note...those of you with 7D's. does the set button in your rear dial rotate when you turn the dial? mine makes my OCD tingle.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM #1845
K-9
name's ryon. hi

Annual Supporting Member
K-9 plays in the PSP
Mine did on my 7D. Annoyed the ever living piss out of me

But now I shoot Nikon. No more annoyances
Old 09-19-2012, 02:44 PM #1846
sixsixsix69
Aggressively Lazy

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by courter_man_08 View Post
this one?
[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7095/7245156738_11b35d3ac9_c.jpg[IMG]

i shoot on M-RAW (3888x2592). though, the only reason why i don't normally shoot on full RAW is because of card space. but, now that i think of it, i rarely ever fill up a card anymore.

but yea, ACR and LR are very similar. it would be an easy jump between the two. but in LR you can't do brenizer's. there's no option for importing/pasting multiple photos into one shot.

another thing that i don't like about LR is the gradient filters. you can't do any sort of curved filter. also, if you wanted to do some sort of sun flare, i haven't found a way to do a quality "soft light". it can be pretty annoying sometimes.
Thats the one. Your styling really inspired the bike shot. I wanted to give a go at the "Courter style" haha

You can do curved gradients in PS? is it just following a path type deal or something?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM #1847
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
Mine did on my 7D. Annoyed the ever living piss out of me

But now I shoot Nikon. No more annoyances

good man

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
Old 09-19-2012, 02:52 PM #1848
K-9
name's ryon. hi

Annual Supporting Member
K-9 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjunkiee View Post
good man
Yessir. Jeff what do you feel is the comfortable highest ISO you shoot on your D3?

Due to fiances, I had to cut back from a 300 2.8 to a 300 4 for the rugby tourney Im shooting
Closed Thread