PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:19 PM #736
Zorel
Insert Custom User Title

Zorel is a Paintball photographer
I would love to buy a WRX it's just the cost of premium gas and maintenance compared to a normal impreza. If you haven't seen Ben Johnsons engine rebuild on his WRX go check it out, sex.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:25 PM #737
skwirnmn
Chris Loh

skwirnmn has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
I generally don't think there's anything all that special about paintball photos, but I think this one is pretty cool.

MWXL 4 by CHRIS.LOH, on Flickr

composition sucks though.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 PM #738
PbLoSeR05
CodyB

PbLoSeR05 is a Paintball photographer
PbLoSeR05 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
PbLoSeR05 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorel View Post
I would love to buy a WRX it's just the cost of premium gas and maintenance compared to a normal impreza. If you haven't seen Ben Johnsons engine rebuild on his WRX go check it out, sex.

Yeah, The premium gas is killer. And the maintenance isn't all TOO bad. But my brother baby's his, which I would too. Dealer Oil changes every 2 months adds up.

Houston Heat
PhotoMOB
Old 07-30-2012, 09:51 PM #739
Zorel
Insert Custom User Title

Zorel is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbLoSeR05 View Post
Yeah, The premium gas is killer. And the maintenance isn't all TOO bad. But my brother baby's his, which I would too. Dealer Oil changes every 2 months adds up.
Ya I get lazy when it comes to oil changes, mainly because I don't pay for them ha. How much does the dealer charge for a oil change on the wrx?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:12 PM #740
Grommzz
Ellis Imagery

Annual Supporting Member
How many k's are you doing to justify an oil change every 2 months.. geezus
Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 PM #741
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

has been a member for 10 years
Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
screw the WRX, i want a friggin BRZ.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Old 07-30-2012, 10:55 PM #742
LastarsonisT
I only have one rule...

LastarsonisT is a Paintball photographer
sum*****.

Can't get rid of the old watermark on the photos in my paintball galleries since I downgraded from Pro to Power.

"Photography is about showing who you are, not about who is in front of the lens." - Jerry Ghionis

Fotos
PhotoMOB
Old 07-30-2012, 11:57 PM #743
PbLoSeR05
CodyB

PbLoSeR05 is a Paintball photographer
PbLoSeR05 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
PbLoSeR05 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grommzz View Post
How many k's are you doing to justify an oil change every 2 months.. geezus
Hardly any. He's babying the hell out of it.

Quote:
Ya I get lazy when it comes to oil changes, mainly because I don't pay for them ha. How much does the dealer charge for a oil change on the wrx?

I think he's paying like $60 =X But whatever it is, it's not a regular oil change. Or at least not normal oil. I dunno

Houston Heat
PhotoMOB
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 AM #744
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
I think I broked my car, engine sounds like dubstep
Old 07-31-2012, 12:27 AM #745
Pakistani
VCU Rams

Pakistani is a Paintball photographer
Pakistani is an NCPA player
Pakistani is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Pakistani is Boss
Pakistani supports Empire
skrillex edition, bro.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:29 AM #746
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

no, like 15 year old kid thinking a lot of random wub wubs makes good music on youtube dubstep. Like **** I'm probably going to need to buy a new car dubstep.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 AM #747
shark6428

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
Good luck getting the mechanic to understand that. It's been my experience that my car likes to break something every 4 months to get to me spend $300 on it. It's like a gold-digging girlfriend. And right in time for my tag renewal, the check engine light pops on.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:36 AM #748
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Every time something goes on it it's closer to 1000 bucks, just cleaning the brakes and some new pads last time was over 300. Luckily a mechanic won't need an explanation, all I need to do is put the key in.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 AM #749
Grommzz
Ellis Imagery

Annual Supporting Member
You paid someone to clean the brakes and put new pads in..

:tableflip:

Time to learn some basic mechanics dude srsly.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 AM #750
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

I do know how to do it, just don't have the tools or space to do it in since I now live in a condo and know literally 0 people with garages.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:07 AM #751
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grommzz View Post
You paid someone to clean the brakes and put new pads in..

:tableflip:

Time to learn some basic mechanics dude srsly.
. It's a lot like learning photography. My dad is/was a mechanic and so a lot of it I learned just through him talking about stuff but minus the computers the rest of the mechanics is pretty simple. Air + gas = combustion so just follow the lines of reasoning on why things aren't working.

I've fixed a fuel injector, spark plugs, etc. etc. And, though, there are some things I can't fix myself I at least roll into a place saying, "I believe you need to check the fuel line or just change out this or that gasket."

That way I'm not charged for them fixing something that is totally unrelated to what's actually wrong. I've done that a couple of times before. And, if you go to a deal, they charge $80 just to hook it up to a machine to diagnose what the computer says. I still don't understand that charge. It takes 5 min to do but they charge you an hours worth of labor. Weird.

I took a nissan sentra into have the fuel injector replaced = $500 because of the time to do it plus parts.

I did it myself when a different one went out because it looked fairly easy = $50 for the part, and it took me 30 minutes. . . meh
Old 07-31-2012, 02:04 AM #752
shark6428

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
Which is why it's so important to find a good mechanic that won't screw you. Keep in mind that they're not making much money on the parts, but labor. $75/hour is pretty much the minimum and the hours they charge for the job are standardized and don't necessarily correspond to the actual amount of time on the job. If the mechanic figures out a way to cut a 5 hour job down to a 1 hour job, he can still charge for 5 hours. And they charge just to hook up OBD machine because they cost thousands and significantly improve proper diagnostics. Or you can grab one of the sub-$100 code readers and have a decent idea of what's probably wrong.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:42 AM #753
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
yah, i understand there's a cost but dealerships are sketchy to me. An independent guy I know is reliable and free diagnostics. But almost everything (minus computer crap) I can get my head around and fix it myself. Such as overheating, lugging, sounding wrong, etc.

I just can't stand it when a dealership says, "Hey, we found out your gas cap wasn't on tight enough. That'll be $80 for the diagnostic fee." Not that it's happened to me but I took a Nissan Versa I owned in once because it wasn't wanting to start up right and they charged me $80 to tell me that they might just think probably that it could be but might not be the gas pressurizer WITHIN the gas tank that was bad.

I said, "Well, you want $1200 to replace a cheap part. The problem is you have to drop the whole tank. I'll just live with the intermittent problem until I HAVE to do it."

Guess what, the car never did it again . . . ever. . . in the time that we owned it
Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 AM #754
reddogphoto
BECAUSE ST:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakistani View Post
who here uses a 5d2?
Was reading up and seeing a lot of complaints about the camera's AF. what are your thoughts about this? Im not shooting action sports anymore, so its not as damning as it could be- but obviously if it doesnt work well, then i'd like to know.
Sports with a 5D, it's not impossible:

20120714_520301710_0186 by reddogphotography, on Flickr

It's not terrible, especially if you use good lenses, but it doesn't track motion well and you're pretty much stuck with the center point. For things that aren't moving, it does just fine if you're ok with a focus-recompose technique.

In low light it suffers a little bit even with fast glass, but give it an assist lamp from a speedlite (or even just an STE2 if you want to shoot ambient) and it picks up a lot.

20120713_520301710_2242 by reddogphotography, on Flickr

Quote:
Premium fuel isn't that bad once you get used to it. My G35S burns premium at around 20-24mpg, but I don't really notice the added cost anymore. I try not to get sucked into fuel cost fixation as I'll end up like those weirdos that will drive 20 miles out of their way to get fuel for three cents per gallon less.

Oil changes cost me around $35 in parts and I do them myself. I use 5 quarts of Mobil1 and an extended life filter. My change interval is set at 10,000 miles which is pretty frequent for a premium synthetic. The old standby of a 3000 mile interval is dated, especially with the modern technology that goes into today's oils and filters. For most people, you can get by on regular name brand oil for 5000-7500 miles with a good filter. At my day job (at a dealership) I'm responsible for a fleet of six vehicles and 7500 is what I schedule them for.

Now a turbocharged vehicle is a little different. Since the center section bearings are a critical and expensive engine oil-lubricated part, you want to make sure that you're on the ball with changes and you use a good quality oil, preferably a synthetic as hot as the turbochargers will get. Bearing wear and center section coking are the primary enemies of turbochargers. On turbocharged performance cars, I tend to recommend a normal change interval (the aforementioned 5000-7500), but with a synthetic oil. Mobil1 is again my brand of choice, seeing as it's the factory fill choice for most high performance cars. Corvettes and Benz-AMG come to mind.

As for dealerships and their overhead, I could write reams on why labor rates cost what they do, but I don't have time at the moment. I'll come back to it this evening if the discussion is still headed in that direction by then.

My name is Ted and I produce photos. Sometimes I get a decent one.
5px
http://reddogvisuals.com
Old 07-31-2012, 06:26 AM #755
GeoffByrne
Young Simba

GeoffByrne is a Paintball photographer
GeoffByrne is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
GeoffByrne is Legendary
I shot all of World Cup last year with my 5D2
It can be done, I would probably never do it again though...
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 AM #756
danbob1088
succisa virescit

has been a member for 10 years
danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffByrne View Post
I shot all of World Cup last year with my 5D2
We could tell......

flickr