Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 AM #1
ClintH
HHH

ClintH has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ClintH has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Thinking about trade/upgrade

I currently have a DP e1, and I'm thinking about upgrading. It's a solid gun and has given me next to no trouble, but the fact of the matter is that I don't really like the built in asa, and I don't want to upgrade the board or feed neck if I could get away with trading it or selling it and adding some cash.

So, questions are:

What guns are reasonable steps up? ($100-$200 more)

And any general advice for a rec player looking to upgrade?

Last edited by ClintH : 06-25-2012 at 08:50 PM.
ClintH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2012, 02:26 AM #2
HaWtDog123
Sundays

HaWtDog123 supports Team VICIOUS
HaWtDog123 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
There are a lot of markers that you can choose from. Figure out a list of markers you like. Then you can go to a local store or field to try them out. Hold them to see how they feel, ask general questions, see what other people think. Take out the "anyone looking for an e1?" sentence. B/S/T isn't allowed in this forum. Try posting it in the B/S/T to get some attention.

As far as markers go I suggest Proto SLG and Smart Parts Ion. Two great markers to upgrade to. Good luck
HaWtDog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 AM #3
ladykiller437
Coal Field Killer

ladykiller437 plays in the APPA beginner division
ladykiller437 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you like dangerous power i would say look at the g4,i have an fx and i love it,i play tournaments,scenario,rec games with it.Im a huge fan of Dangerous Power.Hope u find a gun u enjoy playing with.
REBEL FORCE PIRATES/COAL FIELD KILLERS#1
ladykiller437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM #4
ClintH
HHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaWtDog123 View Post
There are a lot of markers that you can choose from. Figure out a list of markers you like. Then you can go to a local store or field to try them out. Hold them to see how they feel, ask general questions, see what other people think. Take out the "anyone looking for an e1?" sentence. B/S/T isn't allowed in this forum. Try posting it in the B/S/T to get some attention.

As far as markers go I suggest Proto SLG and Smart Parts Ion. Two great markers to upgrade to. Good luck
Thanks for the heads up. I'm new to the site and wasn't quite sure where the lines are between forums. Both those guns do look like about what I'm looking for, though I may be willing to spring for a little something more. The problem seems to be with paintball there are low end guns, a significant price jump, highish end guns, and then a HUGE price jump to the top of the line guns. And I seem to be somewhere in between low end and higher end right now.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 PM #5
m3d1cman

My first gun was a smart parts ion. While I played competitively, and had no true issues with it, it had a sloppy feel which left something to be desired.
I've used a g4. And when it works, it is fantastic. But it can be temperamental. I would suggest a planet eclipse etha. Or try a used etek or geo. I've also heard good things about the pm mentioned above
m3d1cman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:51 PM #6
sup'mango
Dallas

sup'mango supports Team VICIOUS
Used guns are the way to go. What is your price range?
sup'mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:15 PM #7
zachpnnc

zachpnnc is playing at Living Legends VI
zachpnnc has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
zachpnnc has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
zachpnnc has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
if your looking at an etha i would look at a used axe instead
zachpnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 PM #8
ClintH
HHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup'mango View Post
Used guns are the way to go. What is your price range?
Well, I would love to trade and add cash so that it wouldn't be so expensive, but pure cash value I'm looking at $300ish give or take depending on how much I like the gun.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:39 PM #9
HaWtDog123
Sundays

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintH View Post
Well, I would love to trade and add cash so that it wouldn't be so expensive, but pure cash value I'm looking at $300ish give or take depending on how much I like the gun.
With just the straight $300 you have a ton of options. Older DM/PM's, Older Ego's/ETEKS, PE Etha, Shockers, BL Timmies... Just to name a few. You've got to figure out what design of marker you like. Do you like Poppets (Ego/Timmy)? Do you like spoolies(DM/PM/Shocker)? Figuring that out will help you narrow it down a whole lot. I personally love spoolies and so does my FiancÚ. On the other hand all my friends love poppets.

Or... You could do what I do and just become a gun whore .
Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 PM #10
SilverViper

SilverViper has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Honestly...there is not a huge difference between most high end markers. Yes, there is a difference, but it's marginal. If you feel like you need to/want to upgrade and are patient, you should be able to snag some good deals on the b/s/t here for something under $200 (I got an Alias for $160 a couple of weeks ago). If you can bump up to $300 like HawtDog suggested, you will have a ton of options. Basically everything he said and I'd add on Droids if you are lucky enough to catch a deal and 06/07 Macdev Borgs. Axes and Minis aren't bad either.

Currently rocking a Macdev Droid

Old Feed back:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1701604
SilverViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 AM #11
ClintH
HHH

Quote:
With just the straight $300 you have a ton of options. Older DM/PM's, Older Ego's/ETEKS, PE Etha, Shockers, BL Timmies... Just to name a few. You've got to figure out what design of marker you like. Do you like Poppets (Ego/Timmy)? Do you like spoolies(DM/PM/Shocker)? Figuring that out will help you narrow it down a whole lot. I personally love spoolies and so does my FiancÚ. On the other hand all my friends love poppets.

Or... You could do what I do and just become a gun whore .
I really don't have the funds to turn into a gun whore, and that's part of the reason I would like to somehow work my current gun into the mix somehow, as either a sell or a trade, because I would basically have to love the gun in order to pay the straight $300 for it.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 AM #12
HaWtDog123
Sundays

Quote:
I really don't have the funds to turn into a gun whore, and that's part of the reason I would like to somehow work my current gun into the mix somehow, as either a sell or a trade, because I would basically have to love the gun in order to pay the straight $300 for it.
I'm not saying go out and buy every marker you see. I bought a DM7 a while back. It was a great marker, but I never chose it over my Shocker. So it barely saw the field between me or my fiancÚ. So I traded it off, turned around and traded that one off, and now I have an Ego I'm trying to get rid of. Which I will then turn around, whatever I get for the Ego and trade that off until I find something that I want.

Do I spend some time here on the nation to find and complete all these transactions? Yes, but I'm getting different experiences with different markers that I can and will use for future purchases/trades. Through out my "gun whoring" I've found my niche and thats spoolies. Shockers to be more specific. I own 2 and am looking to add to it.

"Most" people bash shockers, but I love them. That's why I said try out other markers before you buy. So you don't make a mistake and regret it. A lot of people love Axes. I had one, eh. No matter what do your research on common problems that occur and maintenance. Good luck
Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 PM #13
ClintH
HHH

Quote:
I'm not saying go out and buy every marker you see. I bought a DM7 a while back. It was a great marker, but I never chose it over my Shocker. So it barely saw the field between me or my fiancÚ. So I traded it off, turned around and traded that one off, and now I have an Ego I'm trying to get rid of. Which I will then turn around, whatever I get for the Ego and trade that off until I find something that I want.

Do I spend some time here on the nation to find and complete all these transactions? Yes, but I'm getting different experiences with different markers that I can and will use for future purchases/trades. Through out my "gun whoring" I've found my niche and thats spoolies. Shockers to be more specific. I own 2 and am looking to add to it.

"Most" people bash shockers, but I love them. That's why I said try out other markers before you buy. So you don't make a mistake and regret it. A lot of people love Axes. I had one, eh. No matter what do your research on common problems that occur and maintenance. Good luck
I've got a buddy who's dying for an axe, he seems to be incredibly impressed by them, but I'm honestly just too new to the sport to really know. But I'm at the point to where my local field frowns on me if I play open games with too many newbies, but I'm nowhere near able to really compete with the big boys, and I feel like a slight upgrade from the e1 would help, because as it stands it chops when I get anything close to 25 bps, and I have eyes in my loader and the marker.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 PM #14
zachpnnc

zachpnnc is playing at Living Legends VI
zachpnnc has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
zachpnnc has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
zachpnnc has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
I've got a buddy who's dying for an axe, he seems to be incredibly impressed by them, but I'm honestly just too new to the sport to really know. But I'm at the point to where my local field frowns on me if I play open games with too many newbies, but I'm nowhere near able to really compete with the big boys, and I feel like a slight upgrade from the e1 would help, because as it stands it chops when I get anything close to 25 bps, and I have eyes in my loader and the marker.
most of the "big boys" play at 15 bps capped ramping max. Thats what most tournament rules are. Also getting a better gun isnt going to make you a better player. And if you are shooting 25 bps with new players your bad for the sport because your keeping them from wanting to come back
zachpnnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:26 AM #15
ClintH
HHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachpnnc View Post
most of the "big boys" play at 15 bps capped ramping max. Thats what most tournament rules are. Also getting a better gun isnt going to make you a better player. And if you are shooting 25 bps with new players your bad for the sport because your keeping them from wanting to come back
No man, you've got it all wrong. I know a better gun won't do anything for me but potentially raise my bps and add dependability to my gear. But as I said before, I don't like the built in asa or the stock feedneck, and the gun doesn't really feel worth upgrading to me. You're talking to the guy who calls himself out if hit on the shoe, and who shoots for the pod pack if I ever end up behind someone. I know how to be a good sport, and I'm sure almost everyone on this site knows that a better gun doesn't make a better player.