Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM #1
chasethebarber

My reasons for liking 50 cal

So, I picked up a brand new Spyder Opus off Craigslist for 25 bucks a few months ago. I had been eyeing the 50 caliber hype for a while, but didn't jump to any conclusions. Since I'd been curious about it, the deal was hard to pass up.

Now, I'm not here to say that 50 caliber is perfect or ideal for anybody, but that it deserves a little more credit than most are willing to give it. Much like in real firearms, caliber choices can give flexibility that would otherwise not exist.

We all know the disadvantages(lack of range, more difficult breakage, smaller marks, etc), so let's not focus on those.

However, the advantages of efficiency, weight, ammunition capacity, and noise can be used to great advantage. After tinkering around with my Opus, I have found exactly what I intend to use it for.

My intention is to make a stock to fit the marker, then make a small hopper(100 rounds or so). The marker can get 40-50 shots from a single 12g cartridge, so all I need is to carry a spare cartridge and I'll be set. This should be a very light, accurate setup that will allow me to be more aggressive and hopefully use my speed more effectively.

While my intent is to make myself lighter, the opposite could be done as well. The increased capacity and air efficiency would be invaluable in a support weapon(particularly for suppressive fire) or for participating in a scenario game.

All I ask is that rather than hating on something because it's different, consider what advantages it may offer to yourself or your fellow players. You don't have to like it, but there's no need to hate it. As for fpo fields, the few that I've visited will make an exception for unusual calibers, though they may ask that you pay a small fee. I've yet to find a field near me that outright bans .50 or .43, so I'm glad to have the option.

Thoughts?

Last edited by chasethebarber : 08-11-2012 at 05:01 PM.
chasethebarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 PM #2
Istobla

that sounds real cool. I have thought for a long time that the spyder opus could make a real cool pistol. replace the expansion chamber with a bucket charger for twelve grams and put a 20 round mag above the barrel would rock. have you actualy used it with 12 grams? are you runing them from the asa or in place of the expansion chamber. i am pretty sure from diagrams there is asa threads there. i think 50 is the perfect caliber for a pistol. predominantly up close and lots of shots of a 12 gram. a delta 68 but in 50 cal would rock(because i love the feel of the grip and the leaver loader) let us all know your experiences with it.
cheers
Istobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM #3
chasethebarber

Yes, I have used 12g cartridges in it. The expansion chamber does come off, revealing Asa threads(can't remember if there is a pin depressor or not). It averaged 45 shots per cartridge.

As for making it into a pistol, it could be done, but I'm not planning to do so. I may also try and add an Apex tip to the barrel, though it will probably look ridiculous.