Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 AM #22
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I do agree that it is the players responsibility, but how can it be on their shoulders without a chrono at the field. I am the only person I play with who has a handheld chrono and I dont bother bringing it to fields with me. What about the guy in the bachelor party, who borrowed a gun from his girlfriends brother and has no clue what he is doing? As far as he knows, if he pulls the trigger and a ball comes out, the gun works. Is it his responsibility to know better? Every field should have a chrono, or multiple, ready for use and required to play.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2012, 09:59 PM #23
MrStiK
shhhh! I'm Incognito

MrStiK owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35 View Post
I do agree that it is the players responsibility, but how can it be on their shoulders without a chrono at the field. I am the only person I play with who has a handheld chrono and I dont bother bringing it to fields with me. What about the guy in the bachelor party, who borrowed a gun from his girlfriends brother and has no clue what he is doing? As far as he knows, if he pulls the trigger and a ball comes out, the gun works. Is it his responsibility to know better? Every field should have a chrono, or multiple, ready for use and required to play.
The very first thing I do when I loan out a marker is to show them how to adjust the velocity. I am sure a lot of people do the same. It is a poorly run field if players have to bring their own chronos to ensure everyone is shooting at a safe speed. If a field does not have a chrono, I WILL not play there, and I will put them on blast on PBN. That is recklessness and that type of field can only hurt the sport.
MrStiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:49 AM #24
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver plays in the APPA D5 division
paintballoliver has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Field insurance will not cover the field if they don't have a chrono and the insurance company knows about it. Every insurance company I know about will not cover a field that lets people shoot over 300fps, I am not a field owner but am very good friends with one. So there is a slim chance I could be wrong.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:31 AM #25
Octagonalized
#12 SKPB

Octagonalized supports Team VICIOUS
Octagonalized supports Team VICIOUS
Octagonalized has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Octagonalized has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Octagonalized has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
All fields should have chronos. That's like a Geo3 without evil.
SCOTTSDALE KINGS #12
TEXAS BORN

HOUSTON
HEAT
Octagonalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:37 AM #26
Pro-2A

I have a buddy who thinks it's funny to shoot his at 390. When we go to play some rec ball in the woods, I quite often tell him he's gonna seriously hurt someone with those speeds, especially at close range.. I wouldn't even be surprised if he broke someones mask if he was close enough. He just shrugs it off and thinks it's funny and calls me a wuss.

It has nothing about being a wuss, I really don't feel like paying for a new lens or getting hurt at close range. I enjoy playing at my bosses farm to practice, but don't want this clown who shoots hot, shooting at me. How do you deal with that?
Pro-2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:47 PM #27
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

vikingshadow is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
vikingshadow supports Team VICIOUS
vikingshadow supports Team VICIOUS
vikingshadow supports our troops
I posted in your thread about this. Your friend is nothing but an ***. I wouldn't play anywhere on the same field as him for that reason alone.

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:20 AM #28
SamusAran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-2A View Post
I have a buddy who thinks it's funny to shoot his at 390. When we go to play some rec ball in the woods, I quite often tell him he's gonna seriously hurt someone with those speeds, especially at close range.. I wouldn't even be surprised if he broke someones mask if he was close enough. He just shrugs it off and thinks it's funny and calls me a wuss.

It has nothing about being a wuss, I really don't feel like paying for a new lens or getting hurt at close range. I enjoy playing at my bosses farm to practice, but don't want this clown who shoots hot, shooting at me. How do you deal with that?
I wouldn't play with him then. Why is it that I hear about these people who shoot hot play out in PA? A guy that got me into the sport loved to go out to PA because he claimed he could "shoot hot" there.

I don't play with him anymore.
SamusAran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:05 AM #29
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
I can tell a hot gun usually by how fast the ball is traveling (very roughly. I can't tell the difference between 240 and 250, but I know what 300 or so looks like) out of the barrel. My field has a chrono, but usually only puts it out on request, and for small groups, it's up to you to make sure that your gun isn't shooting dangerously fast. If I see a hot gun, or a gun that looks hot, I'll ask them to turn it down. If they don't, I won't play with them. There are no refs at my field, so there's really no one to tell them to cool it down, so there really isn't much you can do in that situation.
Noah
You can visually tell the different between legal shooting (280fps) and shooting hot (300fps) by watching as it leaves the barrel?? I find that very hard to believe. 280fps equals approximately 190mph. 300fps = 204mph. I dont believe the eye can visually tell the difference of a paintball leaving the barrel at that speed. You can barrel even see a paintball leaving the barrel at either speed

Quote:
No its the fields responsibility. Its the job to make sure markers are shooting at legal speeds. Trying to pass that off on the players is just signs of a lazy field willing to cut corners

Quote:

He is going to hurt someone. Possibly in some manner that doesn't ever fully heal. I would report dude to the field refs/managers. 390 can do serious damage. Even if he doesn't injury someone, someone will recognize that he is shooting much hotter than everyone else and will beat the **** out of him for it

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:55 PM #30
TommyTwoToes
Pump Chump

TommyTwoToes plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:

I wouldn't play with that guy. Honestly, if its shooting 390, he could seriously hurt someone. I would report him to a ref.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:17 PM #31
Zippin35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
No its the fields responsibility. Its the job to make sure markers are shooting at legal speeds. Trying to pass that off on the players is just signs of a lazy field willing to cut corners
That's a bit one sided. The fields should be enforcing the rules but are you going to make a field ref physically adjust each gun to shoot at the proper speed? And what about once they have chrono'd in, do the refs need to take their guns and check every game? No the players need to take some responsibility but yes it is a shared duty. To say it falls solely on the field is just the player being lazy. If you know that your gun is shooting hot, and go to a field and they dont check, will you go play with it since they field didnt stop you?
New England Crusade #35
Old 06-19-2012, 02:38 PM #32
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35

That's a bit one sided. The fields should be enforcing the rules but are you going to make a field ref physically adjust each gun to shoot at the proper speed? And what about once they have chrono'd in, do the refs need to take their guns and check every game? No the players need to take some responsibility but yes it is a shared duty. To say it falls solely on the field is just the player being lazy. If you know that your gun is shooting hot, and go to a field and they dont check, will you go play with it since they field didnt stop you?
I've been to a number of fields that require you to chrono your marker in front of a ref at least once. One makes you do it every game if you have your own equipment. A couple have even had refs carry handheld chronos to watch players mid game. All of these fields are popular in their areas and attract a large number of players.
But this is going off topic from what I was really getting at. Making sure working chronos are available is solely the fields responsibility.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:03 PM #33
Zippin35

Quote:
Making sure working chronos are available is solely the fields responsibility.
Agreed
New England Crusade #35
Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM #34
rob1525

Annual Supporting Member
rob1525 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
rob1525 plays in the APPA beginner division
rob1525 supports DLX Technology
rob1525 supports Empire
Knowing how to adjust a guns velocity is the players job....making sure that velocity is safe is the refs job.
rob1525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 PM #35
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Racso is Legendary
Quote:
Quote:
I've been to a number of fields that require you to chrono your marker in front of a ref at least once. One makes you do it every game if you have your own equipment. A couple have even had refs carry handheld chronos to watch players mid game. All of these fields are popular in their areas and attract a large number of players.
But this is going off topic from what I was really getting at. Making sure working chronos are available is solely the fields responsibility.
This.

A field could VERY easily do random spot checks as they're coming off the field. Plus, what field doesn't have the chrono by the fields anyway? At worst, it would be very little out of the way.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 PM #36
MrStiK
shhhh! I'm Incognito

MrStiK owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
If the fields wants to stay in business they will make sure to the best of their ability to make sure people are shooting at a safe speed. I have NEVER played at a field where they do not chrono players. After passing chrono, a zip tie is attached to the marker so the field refs and identify those who have chrono'd. And then, there is still periodic checks to make sure people stay chrono'd.
MrStiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 PM #37
ROUNDSHORTS

Are these fields making each player get chrono'd before each game? The zip tie thing has thrown me for a loop. When I first started playing we had to get chrono'd before each game. You shoot then you walk out onto the field.
ROUNDSHORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 AM #38
Zippin35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStiK View Post
If the fields wants to stay in business they will make sure to the best of their ability to make sure people are shooting at a safe speed. I have NEVER played at a field where they do not chrono players. After passing chrono, a zip tie is attached to the marker so the field refs and identify those who have chrono'd. And then, there is still periodic checks to make sure people stay chrono'd.
And yet this whole thread is based on a question about several fields that do not have chronos, let alone spot checks. All I am saying is it is a 2 way street responsibility wise. It is a players job to adhere to the rules and not try to cheat or get around them and it is the fields job to enforce and uphold the rules they run by.
New England Crusade #35
Old 07-02-2012, 03:50 PM #39
rkhig
Virginia Tech

Annual Supporting Member
rkhig owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
rkhig is an NCPA player
rkhig plays in the APPA D4 division
rkhig supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelyDeezNutz View Post
play at a field that cares about safety...

Just for the record, I don't know of a single person that can tell a gun is hot due to the sound of the bunker being hit...
truth.

at a certain point, guns running hot can break fingers and googles..
rkhig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:28 PM #40
Box
Wroooaaarrrr!

Annual Supporting Member
Box is playing at Living Legends VII
I wouldn't pay to play anywhere without a chrono. You play recreationally with friends, chip in and buy one. They aren't too expensive.

I assume anyone shooting 390 intentionally wants to fight me.

Shooting with intent to injure like that could probably be considered assault.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 PM #41
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
I just picked up a Virtue Clock. It's more expensive than most handheld chronos, but it's pretty easy to chrono someone without getting in their way too much. And if they dispute that their gun was hot, it saves the reading.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:32 AM #42
peachesarenottasty

peachesarenottasty is playing at Living Legends III
peachesarenottasty supports Team VICIOUS
peachesarenottasty supports Pev's Paintball
peachesarenottasty has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
People think they'll magically get a million times more hits if they turn the velocity way the hell up, it usually end with a pretty gnarly injury on the player that was hurt and the shooter who thinks he's the **** because he can shoot hot enough tobreak someones finger. Stay away from fields with no chrono's it's a recipe for disaster.