PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-10-2012, 03:29 PM #1
Sleven

Annual Supporting Member
Sleven has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zodiac Renegade ZR1

Hey guys here is my shot at writing a review/ first impression of the Zodiac Renegade ZR1 (1.5 bolt). Over the last few months I have looked around for any information about this marker as possible but other than a few videos and a few threads on forums i was not able to get much info so I hope this can help out anybody who is going through this as well. I came to notice the ZR1 when I had seen the Master Blasters using it, I play a lot of big games and have seen them around a lot (8 games with 200+ players as of 6/10/12). I have asked around about this marker and had found out that I would be able to try out the marker at OXCC paintball field if I left my drivers license and Credit card with Zodiac. So June 9, 2012 I had gone to OXCC for Blue VS Red 2 and met with Chris Cole of Zodiac (look up Chris Cole if you dont know who he is, he has been around a while) and borrowed one of his markers for the day.

First off I the marker needed a medium pressure tank which I didn't have but ended up borrowing Chris's as well. After this my first order of business was to get some air and fire it, I had gotten a hot fill of 4.5k but after chrono and 20 mins it stayed steady at 3k. On my first outing I had gone through a Hopper (Z2) and 4 Proto Alpha pods with 1k air left to spare. Second outing I had gotten air again and this time was only holding steady about 3800 psi. ( its hard to take it slow and get a fill when 30 guys are waiting so deal with it) This time I had gone and shot all my paint (hopper and 5 Pods) with a little over 1k psi left. With this I was convinced that I wanted this marker and had gone back to the Zodiac tent to purchase one.

This marker comes with a nice plastic case, 2 piece barrel kit, small parts kit, tube of hater sauce and a rail so that you can use your own reg and asa. After I had purchased my marker I sat down with Chris Cole and he broke the marker down to explain everything to me about the marker and made sure the marker worked perfect and chrono'd before I went back out to the field. He had stressed a lot that I should make a pressure tester so I can adjust the gun and tune it later on. This can be down with either the gun attachment from a remote line or with a gas though grip with a gauge, just replace the front grip with your tester and you will be all set.

example of remote fitting that i will replace nipple with gauge

After this I had to get ready for the final battle, so I loaded up with my apex barrel (bore was loose), 8 pods, full hopper and put my own ninja tank with 2 shims removed to give 550 psi. I had filled my tank and right before the game I made sure I had 4k air and after 20 mins of hardcore shooting I left the field with no paint on my back and about 500 air left. On the field I had not seen a significant drop in distance so I will assume that my velocity should have still been good.

After this day I have come up with some thoughts on the marker, its just a first impression since I had only gone through about 2 cases with one. I really like the shot of this marker and how it felt in the hands, at first with the gun down I felt it was a little heavy but when I started playing with it didn't feel that heavy, my setup for this marker balanced the weight of the marker very well. Also it has been a while since I had a marker with a nice sized snatch grip in the back so this was a nice surprise for me. Since I shot 2 different ZR1s I did notice that the gun I borrowed felt better and a little quieter but maybe because his is broken in and mines is brand new out of box (will update on this). I had only one ball break the whole day but might not have been markers fault cause I noticed a hit on my barrel afterwards, not sure which came first (btw was shooting Valken redemption paint). The marker is quiet in comparison to my Ego11 but I would say that my Luxe is even quieter than the ZR1. The ZR1 is smooth but until I shoot it more and let it break in, I will be a little more conservative with my opinion.

In conclusion, I like the Zodiac Renegade ZR1 very much and I a lot of potential for this marker. The air efficiency was what sold me but the smoothness of the shot and the feel of the marker in your hands is really top notch. The weight of the marker is balanced, the trigger very snappy and well shaped and having the comfortable snatch grip made it a joy to shoot. But there are a few things that I wished they had done differently, like including a pressure tester. If having one is so important it should have been included in the box instead of depending on players to make one. I would have also like to see a manual in the box, i understand i can just print one out but at $1000 I have grown accustomed to getting one in the box. I had purchased a Shiv barrel kit for $80 which included .681, .684 and .691, however I had hoped to have seen one more in a smaller bore like .679 so that I can under bore like I normally do. Also lack of a on off asa isn't too bad (cranking 550 into gun ins't hard) but still a feature i am used to (Chris Cole says they will have on soon). Lastly the clamping feed neck is not tool less like many markers today, you would need to use an Allen key to tighten the neck then clamp down. I do recommend this marker and encourage people contact Zodiac and see if they will be in an area by you and maybe you'd be able to test the marker out like I did before you decide. Thanks

Sleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2012, 03:54 PM #2
asfaraslogic
Professional Hater

Nice review. I feel the same way. I also wish it had a clamping feedneck and on/off. The on/off has not been that big a deal. But the clamping thing is a big deal. I also feel that the Shiva kit should go to .679 and be color coordinated. They were only availible in dust black
On the other hand the efficiency is incredible. And the soft shot is nice. It's a comfortable marker. Can't wait for it to break in as well...
asfaraslogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:26 PM #3
OLD_B4LL3R
www.teamoddity.com

Annual Supporting Member
OLD_B4LL3R owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
OLD_B4LL3R has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
OLD_B4LL3R has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
OLD_B4LL3R supports DLX Technology
Nice review! I love my ZR-1! It is indeed meaty, but well balanced and that makes a big difference. I'm not sure on the pressure tester for it though.. unless there is a way to incorporate it for tuning the LPR as well...
I mean - regardless if you put it to 195psi and you are not up to fps, you're going to increase the HPR right? I know that I did and ended up at around 209psi @ 285 FPS. Mine is new as well.... and the bolt moving is kind of stiff. I need to break it in more, but no biggie if it does, and FPS creeps up then I will lower the HPR and then maybe get to the desired 195psi @ 285 FPS.
But I'm not so sure why it is important to know the PSI on this marker. Just used for ball parking I guess.

I'm still waiting for someone to document the break down of the LPR and exactly how to set it up from scratch.

I love the feel of the shot of the ZR-1...

Zodiac ZR-1 Black/Green = Ninja 550psi Reg'd Crossfire 70/4500 = Seed Rotor
PE Ego10 DigiCam Midnight (Virtue OLED) = Ninja Air 68/4500 = Seed Rotor
PE Geo2 Midnight = Ninja Air 68/4500 = Seed Rotor
Dye DM9 Champagne (Pooty51 Polished Bolt / Virtue OLED) = Ninja Reg'd CrossFire 70/4500 = Seed Rotor
My YouTube . . BattleField Orlando
OLD_B4LL3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM #4
excope
Legacy of 806

Annual Supporting Member
excope is BST Legit
excope owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
excope is for the Gunfight
excope has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
excope supports DLX Technology
excope supports Empire
Yep, loving the ZR1 as well. I, like others did not like having to use an allen to adjust the feedneck for different hoppers. Good thing about it, any thumb wheel for a PE marker will fit and work just fine.

On the pressures, that is kind of meh to me. I mean same noid as a Dye marker and they sell the reg testers for the Hyper '3s and don't have any LPR tester either so your still just adjusting the LPR to your liking. Not a big deal to me.

Don't have much to comment on the stock barrel as I have never used it. I use a Freak kit or an Eigenbarrel as the paint here is always small.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:19 PM #5
Sleven

Annual Supporting Member
ok here is how Chris Cole broke it down to me, the LPR is strictly for bolt cycling purposes and should not be a primary means to adjust the velocity. So the proper way to tune the marker would be to set 200 psi on the hpr then adjust the lpr just to avoid bolt stick then chrono and you should be ok. And always keep dwell at 5 if cold change fsdo to 11.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 PM #6
OLD_B4LL3R
www.teamoddity.com

Annual Supporting Member
OLD_B4LL3R owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
OLD_B4LL3R has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
OLD_B4LL3R has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
OLD_B4LL3R supports DLX Technology
great... I thought BushwoodBill at one point said to set FPS by LPR after you set HPR to 200psi or so.
So Chris said use the LPR just to make sure the marker fully cycles. (bolt)

So is the LPR easy to set? I mean, is it like the DM line? Simply undo the set screw - back all the way out, then dry fire, while turning it in, until the bolt fully cycles?
Please let me know!

Zodiac ZR-1 Black/Green = Ninja 550psi Reg'd Crossfire 70/4500 = Seed Rotor
PE Ego10 DigiCam Midnight (Virtue OLED) = Ninja Air 68/4500 = Seed Rotor
PE Geo2 Midnight = Ninja Air 68/4500 = Seed Rotor
Dye DM9 Champagne (Pooty51 Polished Bolt / Virtue OLED) = Ninja Reg'd CrossFire 70/4500 = Seed Rotor
My YouTube . . BattleField Orlando
OLD_B4LL3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:21 PM #7
Sleven

Annual Supporting Member
exactly set hp to 200 and then slowly screw in lpr until full cycles. At 200 or so psi and cycling bolt you should be close to 280, just adjust with hpr and maybe a little more on lpr of your way too low. I was also told if you look at the notches on the back cap, turning the distance from one notch to another is approximately 5 psi more on LPR. How BushwoodBill explained it was not wrong you do go back to lpr if way too low at 200psi its just that unlike Egos there should not be the spike then drop if your lpr is too low or high. Chris Cole told me to think of the LPR like an autococker instead.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:50 AM #8
Bushwood Bill

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD_B4LL3R View Post
great... I thought BushwoodBill at one point said to set FPS by LPR after you set HPR to 200psi or so.
So Chris said use the LPR just to make sure the marker fully cycles. (bolt)

So is the LPR easy to set? I mean, is it like the DM line? Simply undo the set screw - back all the way out, then dry fire, while turning it in, until the bolt fully cycles?
Please let me know!

Yes. To reset everything just turn hpr & lpr all the way out, then set hpr to 200. Now with paint & air shoot over a chrono while slowly raising the lpr one notch at a time until your at a consistant 285-290. At this point install set screw in lpr. If you need a little more velocity you can up the hpr. If by some chance you are at 200psi at the hpr and are adjusting the lpr and it stops rising at around 240-250 check you bolt guide tip oring.

Last edited by Bushwood Bill : 06-11-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Bushwood Bill is offline   Reply With Quote