PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-29-2014, 02:20 PM #1
Mark0129

Mark0129 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Geo 3.1 low velocity with IV Core

recently installed a new IV core on my geo 3.1 and was getting low velocity (around 220) reg is set default 3 turns in from all the way out. new battery installed. reg and engine cleaned and lubed. tested with stock geo 3 engine and same results. i can get the velocity up to 265-275 but have to crank the reg up 2-2.5 turns. paint is hk army supreme barrel matched with my freak kit. any suggestions. prior to installation only about 8k on counter.
Mark0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2014, 02:34 PM #2
Helpup81
HOOLIGANS PAINTBALL

Helpup81 plays in the APPA D4 division
I was thinking the tune was 4 turns in from flush. May have something to do with it. Make sure all your orings are lubed enough to be wet but not "goopy"
Helpup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 PM #3
Helpup81
HOOLIGANS PAINTBALL

Helpup81 plays in the APPA D4 division
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4336385
Helpup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:24 PM #4
Mark0129

ill give that a shot. also i did tune the bolt to geo 3.5/gsl settings as seen in jack woods iv core install video, but was having the same velocity issues fresh out of the packaging. will give that a shot and report results. dwell is stock as well
Old 09-30-2014, 04:21 AM #5
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
Jack Wood is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Jack Wood works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Well if the velocity is exactly the same with the IVCore and the standard core, then it's not an issue with the cores.

First, make sure dwell is stock. Make sure the SFR is all the way open.

Then what I need to know first is, what is the MAX velocity you can get. Dial the adjuster all the way out and give me that velocity.

Jack
Jack Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:06 PM #6
Mark0129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
Well if the velocity is exactly the same with the IVCore and the standard core, then it's not an issue with the cores.

Then what I need to know first is, what is the MAX velocity you can get. Dial the adjuster all the way out and give me that velocity.

Jack
thanks for the suggestion Jack, should i have the reg cranked all the way up to test max velocity?

also what should i set the bolt tuning to on the IV core for the test.

thanks
Old 09-30-2014, 10:21 PM #7
Mark0129

Quote:

Jack
Hi Jack

dwell set to stock. tuned iv bolt to 4 turns in from max. sfr all the way open, reg out to max getting 295-310 dialed the reg back in 1 turn and was getting between 275-285. i also set the sfr down to horizontal and was getting 275-285. any thoughts?

thanks
Old 10-01-2014, 05:27 AM #8
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
OK, do you have anyone else near you with a Geo3.1/3.5 that you could try swapping regulator springs with? It could just be a case of you have an incorrect spec spring in the reg. Certainly it is rare for the peak velocity to be that low. It would point to an incorrect HPR spring.
Jack
Old 10-01-2014, 12:47 PM #9
Mark0129

Quote:
OK, do you have anyone else near you with a Geo3.1/3.5 that you could try swapping regulator springs with? It could just be a case of you have an incorrect spec spring in the reg. Certainly it is rare for the peak velocity to be that low. It would point to an incorrect HPR spring.
Jack
ill swap out the hpr spring and return with the results, with the sfr turned fully open and a reg set to max what would be a normal peak velocity range?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:04 AM #10
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
It should be at least 320-330fps assuming a good barrel batch and paint that doesn't weigh 2 tons per ball...
Old 10-03-2014, 11:50 AM #11
Mark0129

Quote:
It should be at least 320-330fps assuming a good barrel batch and paint that doesn't weigh 2 tons per ball...
issue resolved, looks like the paint was the culprit. tried with different paint and was getting 275-280 at 2.5 turns in from max.

thanks jack, wonderful upgrade with the iv core, instant improvement in already outstanding shot quality and noticeably quieter
Old 10-04-2014, 02:28 PM #12
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
Glad to hear everything is OK. Thanks for letting us know.
Jack
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM #13
Fraser314

On my 3.1, I'm also noticing a bit lower velocity with the IV core vs. the stock core.

With the IV Core in, with the reg set to factory 3.5 or 4 turns in from all the way out, I'm only getting about 220 FPS. This is with the .681 back and a pretty good fit on the paint. To get it to chrono at 290 I have to go closer to 1-1.5 turns out from stock, and have the SFR set vertical or at about 2 oclock (if I got horizontal on the SFR, the velocity drops a little so I don't do that for sake of not having to crank the reg up even more).

When my gun was chronoing at about 275-280 with the IV core, I put the stock core in an was shooting at 295-300 fps. I was using the metal tip on both. The back screw on the IV core is set at the stock 4 turns.

I've already rebuilt the reg (new orings, lube, and reg seat), rebuild SFR oring and seal, and changed out orings and lubed the bolt, can, and propshaft (including the rear prop shaft oring in the back cap by the spring), replaced body filter, brand new Duracell battery, reset to factory settings, just to rule things out.

I'm able to get the gun to chrono with the IV core by cranking up the reg, and the difference between the two cores isn't really a huge deal, but ideally would like to be able to run the gun at 3 turns in and the SFR all the way horizontal for peace of mind that it's as smooth and efficient as it can be.

The gun still shoots good, so maybe it's not an issue. Is it normal for guns to run at 1-1.5 turns from max on the reg, or should that never be the case? As for the difference between the IV core and stock core, could that just be because the IV core is not broken in as much and has a bit more drag to get the bolt moving? That could also cause the SFR to need to be more open until it's broken it?

I was thinking of trying to take the used bolt and propshaft orings from the stock core and putting them on the IV core to see if that changes anything. If anyone has ideas or input I would love to hear!

Last edited by Fraser314 : Yesterday at 01:49 PM.
Fraser314 is offline   Reply With Quote