PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:57 PM #1
wiseyouare

wiseyouare is playing at Living Legends VI
price of paint

Why are paintballs so expensive. They are fairly cheap to make and the price of making evil and rec paint is not a $30 difference per case.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:44 PM #2
gamer565
Read the manual!!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
Oh you know how to make paint? and the business aspect behind it all do you?

If you know it's cheap to make paint, then start your own company and put out the other company's making "expensive" paint.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 PM #3
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseyouare View Post
Why are paintballs so expensive. They are fairly cheap to make and the price of making evil and rec paint is not a $30 difference per case.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:08 PM #4
gospeedgo1

Paint is not expensive compared to the old days. Pick your shots. Davis paintball carries Karnage which usually runs less than RPS/Empire. Valken usually runs for less than Karnage if there are local dealers.

Businesses do need to make a profit.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:16 PM #5
wiseyouare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer565 View Post
Oh you know how to make paint? and the business aspect behind it all do you?

If you know it's cheap to make paint, then start your own company and put out the other company's making "expensive" paint.
You seem to give smart *** answers all over this website. Shut up unless you have something useful to say. Don't try and tell me that evil costs anywhere near $70 to manufacture and account for retail mark up. Yes I have tried karnage from Davis Paintball and its pretty good. I don't mind paying $40 for it but what gets me is Empire Heat cost the same if not more and its nowhere near the quality.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:12 PM #6
gamer565
Read the manual!!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is Boss
It may not cost $70 to make evil, but your field makes most of it's profit off of paint sales. If the field wanted to they could sale it at a much lower cost, but then they wouldn't be in business very long now would they.

If your don't like the price of paint either find a new field or starting making your own since it's so cheap to do..

Old 06-02-2012, 08:17 PM #7
ibunkerupwnd
it was all for lolz

ibunkerupwnd supports Team VICIOUS
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ibunkerupwnd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
dude paintballs used to be 15 bucks for 10 balls so shut up. like gamer said if you know the buisness and how to make it do it cuz you know everything
Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 PM #8
wiseyouare

You guys are both retarded. The $70 for evil is the price you would pay at a store. On the field it goes somewhere around $80-90. Yes I understand fields count on some revenue from paint but they also charge $10 for all day air which is basically free money for them. I never said I knew how to make paintballs but I know for a fact that they don't cost anywhere near $70 a case. Now that the rof on guns is so much higher than it was when paintballs where "$15 for 10", there is a good reason to decrease the price. If paintballs are so expensive to make then how can companies afford to give whole shipping containers of paint to pro teams for 1 tournament, it makes absolutely no sense.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 PM #9
gamer565
Read the manual!!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is Boss
Quote:
You guys are both retarded. The $70 for evil is the price you would pay at a store. On the field it goes somewhere around $80-90. Yes I understand fields count on some revenue from paint but they also charge $10 for all day air which is basically free money for them. I never said I knew how to make paintballs but I know for a fact that they don't cost anywhere near $70 a case. Now that the rof on guns is so much higher than it was when paintballs where "$15 for 10", there is a good reason to decrease the price. If paintballs are so expensive to make then how can companies afford to give whole shipping containers of paint to pro teams for 1 tournament, it makes absolutely no sense.
$10 is free money to them to let you use their air and their field? Again, you don't see the business side of this. You should stop while your already behind...

It cost money to run that compressor that makes that high compressed for your tanks, it cost money to maintain that $10,000.00+ compressor. It cost money to pay the ref's that watch over the games while playing on their field, it cost money to maintain the fields, it cost money for insurance so that you can play on those field.

It doesn't cost $70 for paint, that's just what your field is charging you cause they have to cover all the expenses and be able to make a little to stay in business. But it does cost money for the material to make the paintballs, it cost money for someone to operate the machines that makes the paintballs, it cost money for someone to pack those balls in a box, it cost money to ship those cases to fields.

Come back when you've actually put some thought into this before claiming fields and paint company's are making all this crazy amount of money off you.

BTW- Late 90's, early 00. Case of paint was $100-$150 plus. Canada now day's is still $100+ for a case.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 PM #10
Spaz 419
Mascot

Spaz 419 is a Supporting Member
i pay 55 for stars one place and 63 and other just depends on where your at and what they charge, like gamer says it options. If all else fails do what i did,make your own field and order paint online.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:03 PM #11
HeadHunter59
MidWest-Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
HeadHunter59 supports Cereal Killerz 2
HeadHunter59 donated to help Peyton Trent
HeadHunter59 is playing at Living Legends VII
HeadHunter59 supports Bob Gurnsey
HeadHunter59 supports our troops
HeadHunter59 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Gamer is 100% correct on this matter.

But please do go ahead and make some paint if so cheap and easy. I can't wait to pay you $2 for a case if its so cheap, Then watch you go bankrupt for thinking its so cheap and easy. Also have all the balls be perfectly round, dimple free and little to no oil on them. With no broke balls. Be my guest.
Russian Legion Fan Club Member #169
Russian Legion Love Club#19
ASMC
∅♦♦♦∅ OldSchool Trust! +23/0/0∅♦♦♦∅ IOG Feedback +4/0/0∅♦♦♦∅
Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 PM #12
Pbkid's pmr
Gun aficionado

Pbkid's pmr is playing at Living Legends VII
Pbkid's pmr supports Empire
A lot of the times fields pay less than 30$ a case for even the highest grade paint depending on how well they are set up with a distributor/manufacturer. For a 10k$ compressor it would take 1000 people to pay it off, thats a lot of people. Then add in the electricity, the maintenance, and the stuff that needs to go into running it. It all adds up.

How about fields, Im sure they cost in the 10K+ range. Thats more stuff, needs to be payed for.

paying for the hands at the field is another thing, if it takes 12 staff at like 10 an hour for 5-6 hours thats 720$ in one day!

I cant imagine what insurance is a month for a game you shoot at other people.

Now factor in running water, internet for the indoor fields, lighting, and then want to be a successful business and make money. Thats where the added cost comes from. if a field is trying to make too much on paint then find another one, they wont last but a better priced field will.

My youtube channel
Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 PM #13
Spaz 419
Mascot

Spaz 419 is a Supporting Member
Oh ya and my field is private invite only due to the cost of insurance etc etc etc
Old 06-02-2012, 09:14 PM #14
rudz
SPOOL VALVED VICTORY

rudz has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
rudz is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
rudz is Legendary
Yeah because owning a manufacturing plant, paying employees to make the paint, buying the machines to make paint, paying employees to do quality control, pack the paint, ship the paint and store the paint is so cheap

Pro teams get whole shipping containers for free huh? They don't have to work there butts off, practice 8 times a month, travel all over the country, appear at various sponsor events and most importantly win to keep getting "free" paint

You don't like it, go play stock class
Ralph "Rudz" Uriarte #951 Facebook
PAINTBALL ADDIX
Action Star Games -Addix Paintball Store 909 370-2800
Da Luxe Mob/Sandana Owners/Ninja Club/Cali Ballers/Fat Ballers Club/Back Players Gang/Headband Ballers/Super Agg Mafia

]**Minitac Pump Mag "Durka Durka"
Old 06-02-2012, 09:20 PM #15
lopez17
Valar Morghulis

Annual Supporting Member
lopez17 is a Moderator
lopez17 is a Supporting Member
lopez17 is playing at Living Legends VII
lopez17 supports Pev's Paintball
lopez17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
lopez17 is Immortal
Good - Fast - Cheap

Pick Two. This is what it comes down to when they make paint.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:26 PM #16
wiseyouare

The field I play at has very little overhead and only fills to 3k. I created this thread to try and figure out why paint costs so much. Don't try and teach me business management and economics, I already have a degree in that and you most likely do not. Every time I go paintballing there are always over 150 people there. Lets say they pay on average 50 dollars to play, thats $7500 per day the field makes. That being said fields are profitable so long as they correctly invest their money. And just so you all know I did some research and a case of paint cost less than a dollar to manufacture. Its the cost of packing, shipping and storage that drives up the price. Gotta love a community that attacks its members for asking a simple question.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM #17
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Mega Moderator
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
My question is, if you have a degree in business management and economics, why're you asking why it's so expensive? Yeah, the field might bring in $7,500 from entry fees, but there's expenses that have to be paid. Refs need to be paid, bunkers purchased and repaired, rent for the land / building, compressor / CO2 rental and upkeep. There's quite a bit that goes into running fields that people don't think of and there's only so many ways to generate income to pay it off. Paint prices are one of them.
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack

FS: G6R $525 shipped and paypal'd
Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM #18
D-man[WarLlamas]
Old and in the way

Annual Supporting Member
D-man[WarLlamas] posts videos on PbNation
D-man[WarLlamas] has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
D-man[WarLlamas] has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
D-man[WarLlamas] has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Kinda seems like you may be the mentally challenged one in this thread.

Even though you say you have degree in this lets try a little refresher on economics and the multiple factors at work when determining the cost of manufactured goods. [case of Paintballs] ie: mfg process, mfg materials, other mfg costs(labor, regulations, taxes, utilities, etc), marketing, shipping, and storage.

Note petroleum costs have risen over the past decade effecting many parts of the paintball mfg process. Also, labor costs have risen along with insurance costs and taxes.

As for the end price point set by the field, that is determined by the overall operating cost of the field. Operating cost of a field includes: actual price of paint from manufacturer/distributor, rental equipment, insurance, labor, utilities, maintenance, taxes, etc.

Are you posting similar threads in the Taco Bell forums? Do you think it costs them $1.79 for a 32oz Mt. Dew???

Quote:
...Gotta love a community that attacks its members for asking a simple question.
^^^Maybe you shoulda posted your last post first and not tell people to shutup?^^^

Also, you can always start you own field to show everyone how it should/could be done. OR share that info about how much the evil field owner is making off everyone so they stop going there. If less people show up will he lower the price to draw them back or have to raise it even more to cover expenses. It's nice that your local field is doing well. Are they running 150 every Sat & Sun? How many refs/staff are there on these days? How many rental markers do they have in inventory? Tanks? Hoppers? Spare parts to keep them operating? How many fields do they have? Do they have a proshop? How much is their paintball insurance? How much is their liabilty insurance('slip and fall')? How do they refill the bulk tanks to 3k for fills? Compressor? How much gas does it use during the week? How much did that fill station cost? How much salary should the owner draw off this business?

Also, just FYI, your field numbers seem high compared to ours. We run about the same number of players 150-200 each week. The average player at our field pays $28. That covers rental, air and a bag of 500 paintballs. Some open players buy more paint and few of the rental groups add a bag or two, but that's what 95% of our players pay.

Good luck with your new paintball mfg business and field. Post pics!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM #19
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

Quote:
You are completely ignoring the shipping costs and other costs associated with making the ball. Not everything is spent on raw materials. Yes raw materials wise maybe you can make a case of Ultra Evil for $10. Now add in the cost of utilities and rent for the factory, and the cost of the encapsulation machines, and the salaries of all the people who work there, and the cost of shipping heavy and fragile stuff all over the country and then add the markup the field/store charges to make a profit. I guarantee you as I said before in this thread that paintballs aren't as cheap as people think. Raw materials =/= the only costs associated with producing a good which is a misconception a lot of people have. There are probably more costs I didn't even list as well.

As for giving pro teams skids you aren't looking at it from the business side (actually you're not looking at anything from the business side, you are looking at it from the entitled consumer "ZOMG why is this so expensive I WANT IT CHEAPER" ignorant side). Having pros shoot their paint is advertising for them. They don't give the paint to pros for free, the pros pay for it by generating publicity for their sponsors. If the business wasn't gaining anything by sponsoring the pro team then they wouldn't do it. They would sell that paint instead.

If you actually do have a degree in Business Administration and Economics then you must have barely passed those classes because ignoring the overhead in paintball production is beyond ignorant. Either that or you have slave labor and free land to put your factory on that will let you ignore all those costs.

Last edited by SKI008 : 06-02-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:11 PM #20
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Mega Moderator
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
Guys, if we can't keep the name childish name calling out of this, I'm gonna take my ball and go home (read as: close the thread)
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack

FS: G6R $525 shipped and paypal'd
Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 AM #21
r90t
Doc

r90t is a founding member
Retail mark up. Do you think a designer shirt made in India costs anywhere near the $150 retail price?? Costs are incurred in shipping, wholesaler, retailer, etc...Each one of these will add on a fee for their profit. Same with paintball.

Lots of paint comes from Asia, so....$$$ added by manufacturer-->cost of shipping with rising fuel prices---->Kee gets it and makes their money---->cost of shipping to local store----->profit to be made by store adds more $$$. No one does this for free.
Closed Thread