Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: 3M 6800 Gas mask - Good for paintball?
Yes. 10 17.86%
No. 30 53.57%
Maybe, with some modifications. 16 28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 PM #43
NoX13
WARNING: I Do Dumb ****!

NoX13 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
NoX13 has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
NoX13 is Legendary
I havent read EVERYTHING in this thread just yet, and honestly I probably wont eaither as some seems useless and not helpfull at all..and some even just kinda pissy towards the op..

As to weather or not a full face mask type respirator will work or not as a paintball mask you gotta consider a few things as several members have stated..

you can find the safety ratings on the masks lens and compare them to the ratings of the mask you wish to you..print a copy of the ratings for the standard rental mask your field uses with a side by side comparison of the one you mentioned you would like to you.. then ask who runs the feild since ultimately it boils down to them allowing it or not..

Im not sure what the ansi or astm ratings are of paintball mask are but if they fall below those of the north full face respirator I have which has an ansi rating Compliance of ANSI Z87.1-1989

I wouldnt see much of a problem other then ear protection, and thats not really a field requirement as Ive seen many many fields let ear protection slide (maybe they were just ****ty fields who didnt care or pay attention though..)

anyway, for the purpose of testing I took my North 5400 series full face respirator ,put it up against the wall in my basement and shot it.. pointblank..

forgive the video uploading sideways.. the video is not meant to be an end all be all yes full face mask respirators can be used.. its simply me having the mask and shooting it as a test..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX5hR...ature=youtu.be

as far as ear protection goes you can always wear a swat type helmet, will cover most if not off the ear, they also have extended versions that cover down to the shoulders almost.

My drinking team has a paintball problem.

**** you, **** you, Youre Cool, **** YOU!,

Last edited by NoX13 : 06-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.
NoX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 PM #44
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

TheAntiHeroHimself has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoX13 View Post
I havent read EVERYTHING in this thread just yet, and honestly I probably wont eaither as some seems useless and not helpfull at all..and some even just kinda pissy towards the op..

As to weather or not a full face mask type respirator will work or not as a paintball mask you gotta consider a few things as several members have stated..

you can find the safety ratings on the masks lens and compare them to the ratings of the mask you wish to you..print a copy of the ratings for the standard rental mask your field uses with a side by side comparison of the one you mentioned you would like to you.. then ask who runs the feild since ultimately it boils down to them allowing it or not..

Im not sure what the ansi or astm ratings are of paintball mask are but if they fall below those of the north full face respirator I have which has an ansi rating Compliance of ANSI Z87.1-1989

I wouldnt see much of a problem other then ear protection, and thats not really a field requirement as Ive seen many many fields let ear protection slide (maybe they were just ****ty fields who didnt care or pay attention though..)

anyway, for the purpose of testing I took my North 5400 series full face respirator ,put it up against the wall in my basement and shot it.. pointblank..

forgive the video uploading sideways.. the video is not meant to be an end all be all yes full face mask respirators can be used.. its simply me having the mask and shooting it as a test..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX5hR...ature=youtu.be

as far as ear protection goes you can always wear a swat type helmet, will cover most if not off the ear, they also have extended versions that cover down to the shoulders almost.
Thanks for taking the time to do that. Glad to see someone was interested enough to put effort into this. Kudos!

As for how paint got inside the mask is beyond me, but all I can say is for now, I'm probably gonna just get a regular PB mask, but in the future, maybe I will attempt this, see how it goes. Thanks for all the effort!

PS: I saw that Punisher logo on your T8, I think I've seen it before in the Tiberius Picture Thread(I lurk there now and then, haha). Pretty badass, if I say so myself!~
"Through continued testing of the SA-17 marker, our Quality Control Department has identified a potential issue. The problem is described as: A CO2 cartridge may fly out of the marker and impact a user." HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!1!!!1!1

"I shaved a kiwi, once..."

Marine Recon Squad's Medic(Blue team, yellow squad) at Operation EndWar; The Eleventh Hour 2012. HOORAH!

Callsign: "ENDGAME"
TheAntiHeroHimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:41 PM #45
NoX13

NoX13 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiHeroHimself View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do that. Glad to see someone was interested enough to put effort into this. Kudos!

As for how paint got inside the mask is beyond me, but all I can say is for now, I'm probably gonna just get a regular PB mask, but in the future, maybe I will attempt this, see how it goes. Thanks for all the effort!

PS: I saw that Punisher logo on your T8, I think I've seen it before in the Tiberius Picture Thread(I lurk there now and then, haha). Pretty badass, if I say so myself!~
Thanks about the pistol.. exactly where you have seen it..

and it was no problem taking a few minutes to test it out..

the discussion interests me a bit cause its not the first time it has come up, a while maybe 6 months ago I had a discussion with a friend about it and he gave some detail information into the use of them as a paintball mask.. apparently (not saying it is true or false) but the north face mask I have holds up to military standards and is often used in military training that involve simunations (little paint projectiles that replace the bullet tip of live ammo and is fired from live weapons)

weather I would use a full face respirator for paintball isnt something Im looking to do anytime soon but I may look into the actual safety issues surrounding use...

One of the coolest masks Ive seen used was a little less then two years ago now at a large well known paintball facility in pa..

I was in for lunch with my group when I saw a guy walking towards the shooting range to test out his marker before heading off to play.. the mask looked way wrong for a paintball mask,least what we are used to seeing as a paintball mask.. so I pulled him off to the side politely and asked about the mask, I told him the mask didnt appear to be approved face protection and I would have to ask a manager just to make sure, this way hes not denied play untill a better suited mask was worn..

management came over and thought the mask was just as cool as I did.. but still safety concerns were brought up as it wasnt a traditional paintball mask.. dureing the conversation he stated its was a mask from the u.k (his buddy sent it to him) and is allowed to be used for paintball there as it met certain standards ,he pointed out some sort of tag/sticker in the mask itself and it made sense to a 2nd manager who.. the player wore a rental mask and took us into the shooting range to show us the mask taking hits point blank.. after about 10-15 minutes discussion with the player the higher ups ultimately determined and the player fully understood that he in fact did sign a waiver and he was still confident in the safety of the mask and was allowed to use it..

the mask itself (cause he didnt know manufacturer of the mask ) was googled later that night. I found the masks below.. identical..

turned out the mask was the Z1 skydiving helmet

His had a tinted lens..

the mask itself apparently (not sure truth is false) is made to military specs for impact and such..

the helmet is fully padded and vented, and was told does not fog at all..

the lens as you can see covers everything like a motorcycle helmet and does not just pop open by itself, it actually wont open unless you push the recessed release button.

a few times during the day I got to see the guy using it during play and it looked good and no incidents or injuries at the end of the day..

helmet can also be seen in "swat 3" video game.. yes I know its a game/picture and safety issue do no have to be met as its just a game and proves nothing.. its just the fact it can be seen there that is amusing.

Last edited by NoX13 : 06-08-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:43 PM #46
NoX13

NoX13 is Legendary
Quote:

as for the spray inside the mask I was looking when I cleaned up the paint from the cieiling and light fixture in my basement was splatter/back splash from when I shot and the mask bounced away from the wall a bit..

Old 06-08-2012, 09:59 PM #47
NoX13

NoX13 is Legendary
not exactly the same but ya could spend who knows how much on this guy..

Designed by a company called Mtek and made for the sole purpose of safety in stopping SHRAPNEL and "other flying debris of war"

The Mtek Predator, in jungle camo.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:48 PM #48
iskrem

I've read all the posts so far. Seems like there is a lot of *****ing going around.

I like the idea, and I'm also considering this. Spending money on a mask that lasts, no fog, great POV, is a good investment if you play regularly.

So guys, what should I get? Z1 HP, Mtek Predator or 3M + helmet?
iskrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:14 PM #49
NoX13

NoX13 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskrem View Post
I've read all the posts so far. Seems like there is a lot of *****ing going around.

I like the idea, and I'm also considering this. Spending money on a mask that lasts, no fog, great POV, is a good investment if you play regularly.

So guys, what should I get? Z1 HP, Mtek Predator or 3M + helmet?
It really depends on things already mentioned in previous posts..

Most importantly...
A.. do they really meet field safety requirements? (possibly discuss this with an insurance company that covers paintball fields, they would/should have the proper standards the mask must meet )

B.. price range.. what are you willing to spend? some masks are cheaper than others.. the North full face respirator I have is the welding version (welding shield was removed) and costs +$440..the basic models (same set up minus some accessories ) go for $150/200+ you can find em on ebay cheaper..the Z1 helmet is $370ish If I remember right..possibly more..)the Mtek.. I dont even want to know what the price tag is.. going to be way to much for us common folk.. but im sure with that mask you wont need to prove its usable for paintball..the thing stops shrapnel from bombs..

C..comfort. almost as important as safety..you dont want something you cant stand to wear for extended periods of time during games..

D.. Style.. it doesnt matter what everyone else thinks,its what matters to you in the look youre going for..

personally, If they were legitimately useable and allowed at fields with above the board safety standards met, and I had the funds I would try two different masks just for the hell of it to see if its worth the scenario look..

the Z1 or North full face mask I already have with self breather attachment made for the mask...

the ends of the hose Plug in to where the filters normally go on the mask.. puttling cartridges behind your back, easy enough to mod filter cartridges to circulate air in and out of mask... (seen similar down really really half assed with normal paintball masks and they actually worked decently enough that I would have faith making one that functioned better)

Old 06-09-2012, 11:55 PM #50
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

That Mtek Predator is SICK!!! But the real name is actually the Revision MPAS, or Batlskin Modular Head Protection System. I WISH I could afford that one, it's just pure badass. And that Z1 HP? That one, it's just AWESOME.

Someone needs to reach out to these mask making companies and open them up to the paintball mask market, god dammit!!! haha

You know what I'd been wondering why no company out there's gone and made a respirator style pb mask. Let's say 3M takes their 6700/6800/6900 platform, replace the whole silicone contour of the mask with mask foam, add ear protection to the straps(perhaps even the rest of a paintball mask, to cover the ears AND head), and then make the respirator cup portion out of high impact, vented ABS plastic and voila; a milsim looking, high FOV, no-fog, badass paintball mask. If only...
"Through continued testing of the SA-17 marker, our Quality Control Department has identified a potential issue. The problem is described as: A CO2 cartridge may fly out of the marker and impact a user." HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!1!!!1!1

Marine Recon Squad's Medic(Blue team, yellow squad) at Operation EndWar; The Eleventh Hour 2012. HOORAH!

Last edited by TheAntiHeroHimself : 06-10-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 PM #51
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

I just instantly, absolutely fell in love with this one as soon as I saw it.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:37 AM #52
NoX13

NoX13 is Legendary
Quote:

I just instantly, absolutely fell in love with this one as soon as I saw it.
Tell me about it.. platform rails for lights,night vision (if you go that route) camera system,com system ect..

and just all around protection..

Old 06-10-2012, 03:02 PM #53
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

Quote:
Tell me about it.. platform rails for lights,night vision (if you go that route) camera system,com system ect..

and just all around protection..
If only someone who's in on the whole "paintball engineering" stuff could take the plans for this and make it into a paintball safe, cheaper alternative. I'd probably only pay up to $100 for it, but I'm cheap, so.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:42 PM #54
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Ducky Pump Squad

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
It would be cheeper lighter and work better if you just modified one of the existing masks to look like this. You need it to stop a paintball not a round from a 308.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 PM #55
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
It would be cheeper lighter and work better if you just modified one of the existing masks to look like this. You need it to stop a paintball not a round from a 308.
I NEVER said I was gonna buy it(The Batlskin Modular Head Protection System), although I WISH that they made a cheap paintball version of this mask. I'd pay maybe around $100 for one.

Last edited by TheAntiHeroHimself : 06-10-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 PM #56
iskrem

Reason for the thread and these mask is to get a mask that does not fog.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:31 AM #57
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

Quote:
Reason for the thread and these mask is to get a mask that does not fog.
No.

The reason for this thread, and these masks, is to get a mask that does not fog, that has an excellent FOV, and looks very milsim, i.e. a full face respirator. All other advantages are just frosting on the cake.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM #58
NoX13

NoX13 is Legendary
Quote:
No.

The reason for this thread, and these masks, is to get a mask that does not fog, that has an excellent FOV, and looks very milsim, i.e. a full face respirator. All other advantages are just frosting on the cake.
Least he wasnt bashing the thread or calling you a d-bag for wanting to possibly try..lol.

Last edited by NoX13 : 06-11-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:48 AM #59
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

Quote:
Least he washing bashing the thread or calling you a d-bag for wanting to possibly try..lol.
I'm not sure what he was trying to insinuate when he commented that, "Reason for the thread and these mask is to get a mask that does not fog", but it just kind of ticked me off.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:35 PM #60
NoX13

NoX13 is Legendary
Quote:
I'm not sure what he was trying to insinuate when he commented that, "Reason for the thread and these mask is to get a mask that does not fog", but it just kind of ticked me off.
Sorry, was typing on phone had to correct autocorrect..

I meant at least he wasnt bashing the thread.. Like others..lol..

he actually got part of the idea right.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM #61
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

Quote:
Sorry, was typing on phone had to correct autocorrect..

I meant at least he wasnt bashing the thread.. Like others..lol..

he actually got part of the idea right.
Yeah, I'll give him that. I'm sure glad you came along. It seemed like everyone was just dropping in on this thread to be pissy and flame me. I was seriously getting annoyed.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM #62
iskrem

Thank you for the hostility. Just gonna say that I have the Z1 HP ordered and shipped. So I'll be leaving this thread so you guys can battle it out... GL!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:48 AM #63
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

Quote:
Thank you for the hostility. Just gonna say that I have the Z1 HP ordered and shipped. So I'll be leaving this thread so you guys can battle it out... GL!
No no no no no. Read my reply to NoX13. I THOUGHT you were somewhat belittling my thread, but NoX13 pointed out you weren't. Sorry for being hostile, I've been on edge myself since 70% of the replies on this thread were pissy towards me. That and I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE Z1 HP!!!!!!