Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: 3M 6800 Gas mask - Good for paintball?
Yes. 10 17.86%
No. 30 53.57%
Maybe, with some modifications. 16 28.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM #1
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

TheAntiHeroHimself has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
3M Full Face Respirator - Paintball Mask?

I've been looking into this for a while now. I found this video a year ago or so, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't seriously thinking about it.

If you don't think it would hold up against paintballs, it's been rated by the ANSI by shooting a steel ball bearing at it, amongst other things. Read about what the ANSI put this mask through here. Of course, I'm not insane, I WOULDN'T pay $140 for a new one. I did find some on eBay for $60-70-ish though. Here's a link to 3M's page on the product, for more information.

Now, if you peek to the left(my DP), you'll see a little reason why I like this.
Here's a bigger picture;

Of course, it's not only aesthetic. The other pros that are listed in the video are pretty interesting also; Better FOV, no fogging(respirator unit is separate from lens, so air exits through filter holes, or at least I think it does), etc. By the way, if I where to use this, I would use it with NO filters.

Now, after a while, something occurred to me; Even though the lens shouldn't fog up, What's to stop condensation building up inside the respirator portion of the mask? Not just condensation from breathing, but sweat also, due to the fact that it might get pretty hot in there, since it's made of some kind of silicone. Now I guess that's why most standard paintball masks are vented all over.

[I was thinking of putting a PC Fan/fans inside the respirator portion, wire it/them to a 9v battery on the side of the lens and put a switch somewhere(I haven't seen the mask in person yet, so I'm not sure where), to prevent condensation build up. Instructable on how to wire a battery powered PC fan unit here. Maybe a 5v intake fan on one of the filter ports, and a 5v exhaust fan on the other port? Or just a 12v exhaust fan in the middle, powered by a 9v, but anyhow, let's get on with the subject.]

tl;dr: So, basically, 3M 6800 Full Face Respirator, would it make a good paintball mask? It's rated for high impact by the ANSI, so it's a matter of functionality. I'd like to get constructive opinions, pros and cons, that kind of stuff. What do you guys think about it? Good idea? Bad idea?
"Through continued testing of the SA-17 marker, our Quality Control Department has identified a potential issue. The problem is described as: A CO2 cartridge may fly out of the marker and impact a user." HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!1!!!1!1

"I shaved a kiwi, once..."

Marine Recon Squad's Medic(Blue team, yellow squad) at Operation EndWar; The Eleventh Hour 2012. HOORAH!

Callsign: "ENDGAME"

Last edited by TheAntiHeroHimself : 05-23-2012 at 12:20 PM.
TheAntiHeroHimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2012, 01:11 PM #2
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
It's your vision... I wouldn't risk my vision unless ANSI rated it to withstand paintball impacts at 300fps.

I guess you could always compare the ANSI standards for that mask vs paintball masks.. But even then. It's not rated for paintball use I doubt any field would let you play with it.

*edit* didn't read the ANSI link, but I'll look into it in a few.

Looking for some Gats?

Last edited by Japy : 05-23-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:22 PM #3
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

@Japy Did you watch the video? I mean it's not professionally tested, but that seems like it says something about it. Here's the vid;

"Through continued testing of the SA-17 marker, our Quality Control Department has identified a potential issue. The problem is described as: A CO2 cartridge may fly out of the marker and impact a user." HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!1!!!1!1

Marine Recon Squad's Medic(Blue team, yellow squad) at Operation EndWar; The Eleventh Hour 2012. HOORAH!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:30 PM #4
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
Did watch the video. It sounds like it would work. I didn't check the standards out though to verify.

They should have shot the mask way closer then 30ft, and chrono'd each shot to verify 300fps.

In the end I still don't know if I'd trust it. But that's because I'd rather lose my sense of smell,taste,hearing before sight.. At least then I could still violate women with my eyes

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 AM #5
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

If anyone's still looking, I'm still looking for feedback!!! Thread's not closed, haha

Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM #6
sstiggy

sstiggy supports Team VICIOUS
sstiggy is attending Decay of Nations VI
Gas masks aren't exactly the easiest to breath in during fast passed activities, now if the filter canister was removed you may be alright
sstiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:40 AM #7
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstiggy View Post
Gas masks aren't exactly the easiest to breath in during fast passed activities, now if the filter canister was removed you may be alright
Quote:
By the way, if I where to use this, I would use it with NO filters.
Quote:
I was thinking of putting a PC Fan/fans inside the respirator portion, wire it/them to a 9v battery on the side of the lens and put a switch somewhere(I haven't seen the mask in person yet, so I'm not sure where), to prevent condensation build up. Instructable on how to wire a battery powered PC fan unit here. Maybe a 5v intake fan on one of the filter ports, and a 5v exhaust fan on the other port?
Not to be an *******, but please read the whole thread next time. If I'm putting an intake/exhaust fan on it, breathing should go along just fine, and I would NOT use the filters.

Sorry if I came through as an ***, It's the last of my intentions, but I'm just looking for something more constructive. At this point, even opinions are welcomed!

Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 AM #8
sstiggy

Not at all, I saw that the canisters would be removed, but just an observation from someone who trains with chemical agents and has to wear a mask for long periods of time.

You could probably open the filter canister and remove the filter particulate and reinstall it for a better aesthetic appearance and breathability, maybe put some poly fill or light foam inside to keep paint out and still make it breathable, although it says it is ASTM rated, most masks have a thin very flexible because so they can be stored in a gas mask pouch) which may not break but could still result in the lens flexing and contacting your face

Last edited by sstiggy : 05-24-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 PM #9
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

Quote:
Not at all, I saw that the canisters would be removed, but just an observation from someone who trains with chemical agents and has to wear a mask for long periods of time.
Okay. I feel like an *** now. Sorry, I tend to get irritated with short answers, because before coming here, I usually got my answers from Yahoo Answers, and that place can really be a **** hole sometimes. Anyhow, apologies for jumping to conclusions!

Anyhow, I wanted to ask about this;

Quote:
You could probably open the filter canister and remove the filter particulate and reinstall it for a better aesthetic appearance and breathability, maybe put some poly fill or light foam inside to keep paint out and still make it breathable
By filter canister, do you mean the filters that screw on? Because I was planning on not using these at all. Just the mask, no filters, but placing PC fans inside the mask, lining up with where the filters connect. That way, I would get air intake through one hole, so it doesn't get too hot in there, and then exhaust through the other hole, to output the condensation from breathing. What do you think?

Old 05-24-2012, 06:43 PM #10
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Make a fan assembly in the fiilter canister after you remove the filter, have it pushing out air & condensation.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:41 AM #11
sstiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiHeroHimself

Okay. I feel like an *** now. Sorry, I tend to get irritated with short answers, because before coming here, I usually got my answers from Yahoo Answers, and that place can really be a **** hole sometimes. Anyhow, apologies for jumping to conclusions!

Anyhow, I wanted to ask about this;

By filter canister, do you mean the filters that screw on? Because I was planning on not using these at all. Just the mask, no filters, but placing PC fans inside the mask, lining up with where the filters connect. That way, I would get air intake through one hole, so it doesn't get too hot in there, and then exhaust through the other hole, to output the condensation from breathing. What do you think?
No worries, I think the fans would work, depending on what mask you have, they have one way exhaust valves so you would probably have to mod those for an intake and outlet you can see in the pics, most masks operate in the same way

Last edited by sstiggy : 05-25-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM #12
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

Quote:
No worries, I think the fans would work, depending on what mask you have, they have one way exhaust valves so you would probably have to mod those for an intake and outlet you can see in the pics, most masks operate in the same way

See, I thought that, if you look at the pic I posted, I thought the exhaust was where those orange gaskets were. So the orange gaskets are only intake? and then exhaust is in the middle?

I'd be up to making modifications, but I'd definitely be scared of making any permanent damage to it, it still would cost me $70.

I did kind of like what SNAKESNIPER said though;
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
Make a fan assembly in the fiilter canister after you remove the filter, have it pushing out air & condensation.
I would prefer to use it without any filter, but maybe I COULD just put a fan assembly inside a canister filter.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:39 AM #13
sstiggy

On the one you posted the middle (canister) is the intake and the exhaust is on the sides
Old 05-25-2012, 02:28 PM #14
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

Quote:
On the one you posted the middle (canister) is the intake and the exhaust is on the sides
You mean the 3M one? I figured that the intake would be where the filters go...

Old 05-25-2012, 02:32 PM #15
sstiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiHeroHimself

You mean the 3M one? I figured that the intake would be where the filters go...
You are correct the filter would be under the 3m logo
Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM #16
BuiltforBoost

Annual Supporting Member
BuiltforBoost owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BuiltforBoost owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
BuiltforBoost plays in the APPA D5 division
I tried using a very similar respirator years ago. It turned out to be too hot for high activity(ie. running). Condensation did build up on the inside after a while, but I did get shot in it a couple times and it held up fine. It was also a pita to clean after a direct hit. Also it was alot heavier than most paintball masks, so it tended to move alot while I was running. Another thing I noticed was the contact point on your face is a rubber material, which after a while of sweating became irritating and kinda slippery. For the money you would spend, you could just buy a quality paintball specific goggle system.

Just my .02
BuiltforBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:04 PM #17
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

I want to apologize for the quote rich/tl;dr post, but I have a few questions for BuiltforBoost here, since he's used a similar mask for paintball. Anyhow, here goes;

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforBoost View Post
I tried using a very similar respirator years ago. It turned out to be too hot for high activity(ie. running). Condensation did build up on the inside after a while
So do you think that an intake/exhaust PC fan system would maybe partially solve this problem?

Quote:
but I did get shot in it a couple times and it held up fine.
It did? I was afraid, after reading what sstiggy said, that the lens was flexible to allow it to fit in a gas mask bag, so now I'm not 100% sure if it's a solid lens of a flexible lens, but at least, if it holds up, that makes me happy.

Quote:
It was also a pita to clean after a direct hit.
I'd like to hear more detail about this sentence in specific. How is it difficult to clean?

Quote:
Also it was alot heavier than most paintball masks, so it tended to move alot while I was running.
How much heavier? Was it significantly heavier that it would bother you, or just enough to notice?

Quote:
Another thing I noticed was the contact point on your face is a rubber material, which after a while of sweating became irritating and kinda slippery.

This. This is my utmost concern as of now. I had not considered the contour of the entire mask being rubber/silicone, I had really not envisioned that being a problem. Thank you for bringing that to my attention!

Quote:
For the money you would spend, you could just buy a quality paintball specific goggle system.
I'm not necessarily looking for the best mask money can buy. To be honest, I figured if I wasn't getting this particular mask, I was probably just gonna get a $20 mask from Walmart or something. I do want something that fits the tactical/SWAT look, and to be honest, I'm not a real big fan of regular paintball masks. Eh.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:34 PM #18
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

If you want to do this for the tacticool looks alone, then I'd say forget it and get a paintball mask. Why take chances with your face and eyes?
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:31 PM #19
TheAntiHeroHimself
T9.1 Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
If you want to do this for the tacticool looks alone, then I'd say forget it and get a paintball mask. Why take chances with your face and eyes?
Well, given that it is rated for high impact, I'd assume it's safe. As for what I want it for, it's not just the tactical look; The much larger FOV, no lens fogging, it just seems like it would be so much better. I've had some real bad issues with lenses fogging up.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:37 AM #20
G-lant
Oshawa Ominous!

G-lant owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
G-lant has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
G-lant has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
G-lant has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
even though its rated for high impact I would still put my gun at like 330 and shoot a lens from about 1 foot, just to see how it would hold up then buy a new lens, wouldn't take any chances with my eyes, but it seems like a really cool idea gl!

Originally posted by Fedorov
"3 bottles of vodka, 6 bottles beer and you flying horse...!"

Your not drunk until you need to grab the grass to keep yourself from falling off of the Earth.

G-lant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 PM #21
turnburglar
Mr. "iminitforthecheck"

turnburglar owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Really?!

No one has mentioned ear pro?

Iv done mop drills in the desert enough to be grateful for my i4s. The way the silicon presses against your face to create an air tight seal isn't exactly fun. I'm sure you could mod the mask to breathe, but my mask at work is designed to seal if the filter is removed. Purpose of this is to change filters in a cbrne attack. I can also "drink " water and vomit in my work mask but that doesn't mean I would advocate using them for any strenuous activity.

I would give a huge maybe if your sole purpose was for role playing or a scenario game with a Bio chem element. But if your trying to find performance advantages over modern purpose built Paintball masks, your gonna find out the hard way.