PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-10-2016, 07:47 AM #1
afish01

has been a member for 10 years
Issues with GZ Intimidator -- need help getting project started

Hey folks, I recently received a GZ Intimidator from a friend for free as a project gun. This gun was used pretty heavily a few years back and then stored for at least a few years. This is my first electronic gun project, having mostly worked on Tippmanns, Autocockers and Automags in the past.

I'm told this is a GZ Intimidator that has been 2k5'd, which I guess means it has an aftermarket Critical frame and updated electronics. The board appears to be Wicked Air Sports though I'm not sure what model.

When I received the gun, all the electronics and low pressure hoses inside the grip were unplugged from each other, so I had to guess where everything plugs in. I had a little trouble figuring out which way the two wiring harnesses plugged into the board, but I believe I have it right. However, with a fresh battery plugged in, nothing really happens when I flip the on/off switch. The LED light on the side blinks red once very briefly and then goes out. If I hold down the trigger while flipping the switch, it blinks green briefly instead. I'm not sure what this means, but I'm wondering if the board is bad or I have something hooked up wrong. I've tried several fresh 9V batteries--same behavior.

Two things that baffle me is that there is a) no LCD screen, and b) no membrane buttons. These do not appear to have ever been used on this gun so I'm not sure where to go from here. All other Gen 2 Intimidator manuals and message board posts show both of these items in use, and a manual I found for the WAS board only briefly mentions that you can use the board without a screen or buttons (but not how to operate the board without them).

Can any of you get me started in the right direction? I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the electronic side of this gun. All mechanical components appear to be in good condition, and the gun is mostly complete as far as I can tell.

Here are some pics if that helps tell the story:

Last edited by afish01 : 02-10-2016 at 07:57 AM.
afish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 AM #2
turmoil
that's the bottom line

Annual Supporting Member
turmoil is a Paintball photographer
turmoil is Legendary
No LCD i'm pretty sure means the WAS is probably v2.9. The programming is done via the trigger IIRC. There are some manuals (and other great info links) here:
http://www.intimidatorowners.com/for...hread.php?t=26

The board could be bad, but i'd check out the manual first and see if you can get it to work. Does it air up/fire?

Also, here's a great thread with info on Alias/2k5'd maintenance:
http://www.intimidatorowners.com/for...thread.php?t=2

Finally, the GZ you have isn't fully 2k5'd. It has the correct frame style, but the front LPR block is the 2k2 style. You can use the alias front block (highly recommended) once you tap the set screw to the correct size. Also, no clue what poppet/ram sleeve it has, but the alias (2k5) style has an integrated cupseal in the poppet head (waaaay better design than the 2k2 style), and the ram sleeve uses 2 larger orings (112 i believe).
Old 02-10-2016, 10:36 AM #3
afish01

Thanks, turmoil! Your info on the board makes sense--my friend did mention that all programming was done using the trigger and LED light. I must have overlooked those instructions, but I've got them saved for later.

The instructions don't mention what to do if the light blinks once and then goes out right away. The gun is supposed to "boot up" with the light holding steady on orange for a few seconds and then be ready. This isn't happening, which is why I'm wondering if something is wrong with the board. I can't find this particular board anywhere--any ideas where I could find it and how much it could cost? Or what are my other options?

I haven't even tried gassing it up yet since I figured the electronics would need to work first. I thought that I should at least hear the solenoid clicking with the trigger pull if this thing was working, but literally nothing happens when I pull the trigger, not even a light blinking.

I don't really want to put a ton of cash into this gun, but if you think I can get it working for under $50 or so, it would be fun to mess around with.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:12 AM #4
turmoil
that's the bottom line

Annual Supporting Member
turmoil is a Paintball photographer
turmoil is Legendary
Yeah, the LED blinking pattern you're describing sounds like something may be wrong. You could try to do a board reset if the programming mode works.

You could pickup another WAS board, TADAO Infamous, or Frenzy board on the BST here or on Intimidator Owner's.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:51 PM #5
afish01

Quick question about the front block--why is the Alias block so highly recommended? Is it just smaller/lighter or is there some other benefit?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:24 PM #6
sloblo
Breaking and Buying

Annual Supporting Member
sloblo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
sloblo has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sloblo supports Ninja Paintball
Better flow rate and ergonomics with the alias frontblock.
Not necessary.
You can plug an lcd into the brown bar at the top

"Everyone knows Mario isn't average... That's why they call him SUPER Mario... get your facts straight Moron."
-Ih8u
sloblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:14 AM #7
afish01

Hey, another noob question here: if I were to switch to a different style board, would I need to change out anything else, like the wiring, eyes, etc? Or are most boards just drop-in upgrades?
Old 02-11-2016, 10:26 AM #8
Turpid Porpoise
Original Join Date 8/2005

Turpid Porpoise owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Turpid Porpoise plays in the APPA D5 division
Turpid Porpoise supports Ninja Paintball
Youll need 2k5 eyes, battery harness and membrane pad to run a 2k5 style board. Unless youre playing speedball there is no real reason to move on from a 2k2 style board as they are cheaper and easier to find.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM #9
gamer565
Read the manual!!

gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
gamer565 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpid Porpoise View Post
Youll need 2k5 eyes, battery harness and membrane pad to run a 2k5 style board. Unless youre playing speedball there is no real reason to move on from a 2k2 style board as they are cheaper and easier to find.
Eyes are the same between gen 1-4. Just need the harness for them though.
gamer565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:11 PM #10
afish01

Quick update on this--I was noticing some issues with the wiring harness (wires keep breaking, might be wired wrong, etc) so rather than drop $60 on a WAS board plus the wiring harness, I decided to upgrade to a 2k5 frenzy board with all the associated wiring and buttons that go with it. I like the idea of being able to change settings with a screen and buttons rather than the trigger and LED. Seemed a little too 1995 if you know what I mean . I'll post another update once I get the new parts in place and tested out. In the meantime I should probably make sure this thing even holds air....