PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-30-2012, 01:35 AM #1
Flawless4ever

Flawless4ever supports Pev's Paintball
Flawless4ever has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
New field Idea. Help?

Im looking to start up a reball field after the air force, I have some Ideas but one that Im really leaning towards is leasing what used to be a grocery store. Not planning to have speedball bunkers, or turf. Just a field that everyone can play at, first timers, and weekly teams and players. I know the floor would be "slippy" but covering with a thin layer of sawdust keeps that from being an issue. Pallets, barrels and tires are what will be used for bunkers (free stuff that isnt just garbage sitting around) I understand rentals, reballs, insurance, and all that stuff is expensive. But what are the other major things to think about? Im planning early and I want to have this figured out when its time to start. Dont tell me a field is just a way to get into debt, they are successful at times. By the time im out of the AF I will have a good amount of money in the bank. I just need to know all the things I may be forgetting.

TEAM FLAWLESS - PITTSBURGH, PA

PROPHECY Z2 FOR TRADE
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...906&highlight=
Flawless4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 AM #2
MarkParris
CK Mafia

MarkParris is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
MarkParris owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
If you are going to do it, you need to do it right. No one wants to go play on an indoor field and get covered in sawdust.

If you are looking for an investment, and you want it to be in paintball, what I would recommend is:

Stay away from Co2.
Get the damn turf.
Buy air bunkers, especially if indoors.
Make sure you use netting even inside.
Make sure the rest room and pit area is clean/organized.
Push button fill stations are amazing for players.
Have a decent pro shop and learn how to fix the majority of popular markers for the rec players that trust their local field.

You don't want to build a field and have first timers come in there and be like wth is this. This isn't anything like I thought paintball would be like. Also, you might want to consider just using real paint instead of reballs. Some people just prefer to never get out during reball.

yes, you can make money in paintball, but if you do it half assed you will not. Players will not come back, and you will end up with nothing but a big hole in your bank account.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM #3
JordanE46

JordanE46 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Saw dust indoors? You need turf to impress first time customers.
Reballs unfortunately are used for practice where there is no need to cheat. You will have countless people crying about hitting each other.
Air bunkers are expensive and the majority of your customer base will be first timers which is good. Just be sure to make forts and what not.
JordanE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:00 PM #4
bscriver

I ran a reball field on asbestos commercial floor tiles, sliding became a freestyle sport, but no one got hurt. as far as cheaters and reball go, unless there is a contest, explain that cheating only pisses in the face of their friends, and as there is no prize, it isn't necessary. Anyone who did cheat would be left out the next time the group booked in. As well staff who have reffd speedball really help on keeping cheaters in check. One last note, sell reballs by the hundred in a pod for people to take with them, because as the restaurant industry has taught us, selling things that customers might be tempted to pocket (ashtrays and beer mugs) usually reduces theft to an unnoticeable level, and when people see what a tube of them is worth they usually respect your investment more.

Brad
Old 04-30-2012, 08:19 PM #5
Flawless4ever

Thanks guys, I know that the sawdust sounds messy and terrible, but it actually isnt. Where I play uses it on their floor and It actually works really well. But I guess the flooring wouldnt be too bad in any old grocery store. It all depends on what I find. CO2 is history like one of you said. A pro shop is in the plans after I get the field off the ground and running. And when It comes to fixing markers, and doing maintenance, I have been doing that on just about every gun imagineable. Im no pro, but I can usually figure out what the problem is, instead of sending it somewhere. Thanks for the tips guys! Like I said, for now it is all still up in the air.

PROPHECY Z2 FOR TRADE
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 PM #6
YohY

I think you would be welled served to research and see how many truly successful reball fields there are compared to the number that have tanked. When people play paintball, especially the casual rec player the exploding paint is half the fun. Reball has a place but it is a very small niche and considering the investment required to build indoors it seems that you just reduced 75% of your potential customers. heck if I want to go shoot someone with reballs I can go play airsoft for a lot less.
YohY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 PM #7
MarkParris
CK Mafia

I don't think first time players want to use reballs anyway.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM #8
Flawless4ever

I know now alot of players are against reballs. But we dont know if thats all paintball is going to be someday, its possible, with the price of paint, and the way that the sport is dying in some areas. Alot of players would rather pay once and have unlimited. Who knows where paintball is heading, maybe someday there will be reballs that have a way to mark players, never know. But if reball has died before I am ready to start up, paint is obviously my only option

PROPHECY Z2 FOR TRADE
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM #9
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Ugh..

Just think very, very hard about what you are doing. Do a LOT more research of your own before you pull the trigger. Your ideas need a complete overhaul, IMO.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 AM #10
MarkParris
CK Mafia

Reball will never overtake actual paint, idk where you are getting that idea from. Ohio is right though. Paint sells are where you will make the majority of your money anyway when you have a lot of players coming. Unless you just sell paint dirty cheap like some places do causing you to go out of business.

Also, if you want to do recball stuff, find land outdoors. It's more appealing to that type of player. Indoor is nice for rainy days and stuff, but even as a tournament player I would rather be outside.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:32 AM #11
tsp8ntball

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I don't think the saw dust will get by the fire marshal. Just sayin.

Read my paintball stuff here!
Paintball Etiquette
Essential Paintball Gear
Paintball Buddy Gun and more...
http://www.squidoo.com/my_squidoo_li...intball_lenses
tsp8ntball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 AM #12
TwistedPBMom
Field Owner

TwistedPBMom is a Supporting Member
TwistedPBMom is an Ultimate field/store owner
TwistedPBMom supports our troops
And...cleaning sawdust off the reballs would be a nightmare in itself.

TwistedPBMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 PM #13
OMAC

Ok...so maybe I can add a little more to this discussion for you guys to poke holes through. lol

I'm actually in the process of working on opening my own paintball / airsoft facility. What I will be doing is totally different than anything I've found so far and we WILL be using Reball. Biggest selling point is that regardless of what people have been saying (and I have done a lot of test firing) reballs react the same as paintball. Yeah, some kids may like the idea of splatting paint (or gogging) someone in the face but those hits are not common so not really an issue anyway. You hit someone in the face with a reball they will talk about it just as much. Cheaters happen just as much in paintball as in reball. Players react the same when getting hit with reball as they do when getting hit with paint. And refs can be trained to catch cheaters.

On the plus side, when our players are done playing they don't have to worry about getting into mom's nice car covered in paint. They are clean and can go straight to the store, movie, wherever without having to clean up.

In addition, you don't have to worry about how to keep the floors clean on an indoor field. A huge expense and one of the primary reasons indoor fields don't survive.

Rec players will make up 90% of your business. Competition players (and I did play competitions on a successful "amatuer" level team) are the only ones who care about inflatable bunkers, turf, paint, etc.

Make your field different by making it challenging. After all, what makes this a fun sport is the adrenaline rush and the excitment of trying to find out where the next person is going to shoot from.

Good luck on your new venture and keep posting on here. I will be interested in seeing how you do.
OMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:15 PM #14
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMAC View Post
Competition players (and I did play competitions on a successful "amatuer" level team) are the only ones who care about inflatable bunkers, turf, paint, etc.
Although I'm not a big fan of inflatable bunkers, for reball I think they are a big benefit. Hard surface bunkers suck with reballs. The balls can come back at you almost as fast as you shot them.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 PM #15
rchard
Paintball Extravaganza

Annual Supporting Member
rchard donated to help Peyton Trent
rchard supports Pev's Paintball
Flooring

I had an indoor paintball field for a few years and we used horse bedding (processed wood shavings) for the flooring. About a 4" layer. It worked great and actually was easier to care for than carpet or turf. In the beginning we had a Fire Marshall that freaked out until he stood and watched a burning cigarette lay and smolder for 30 minutes until he decided it wasn't going to ignite. We used a manure rack to clean up paintballs and added 2-4 bales of bedding every couple of weeks.

rchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 AM #16
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchard View Post
I had an indoor paintball field for a few years and we used horse bedding (processed wood shavings) for the flooring. About a 4" layer. It worked great and actually was easier to care for than carpet or turf. In the beginning we had a Fire Marshall that freaked out until he stood and watched a burning cigarette lay and smolder for 30 minutes until he decided it wasn't going to ignite. We used a manure rack to clean up paintballs and added 2-4 bales of bedding every couple of weeks.
Yeah, a lot of people (almost exclusively tournament players) didn't like it but I used wood shavings for about 8 years on my indoor field. It worked great with very little maintenance. After a few years it became almost like 4" of cork covered by 2" of shavings.

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Delmarva Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote