JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81 View Post
I wasn't really complimenting Chael but trying to say that Rashad is overrated. Other than a few finished fights who weren't even against great opponents from what I can remember, he hasn't impressed me. But I can agree with your statement as well. Chael is underrated.

I didn't hear about the vasoline and grabbing his shorts thing.

Can anyone give me a somewhat elaborate play by play of what happened during the fight?
There are pics of the short grabbing here:
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ty-at-UFC-148/

This is AFTER the ref already warned him. He had his hand in Chaels shorts for a minute or so when they were against the cage. The leverage he had by grabbing the shorts looked to me like it was helping prevent a takedown. He definitely used them to land at least one strike.

As for the vasoline, before the match Silva rubbed his hands on his face to get vasoline on them, then rubbed it on his arms, chest, belly, etc. He went from his face, to his body numerous times. The ref saw it and asked for a towel to wipe him off, and did. But, you know that **** doesn't just wipe off. I don't think it changed the outcome of the fight, but it was a ****ty tactic regardless.

Watching the GIF on the page I linked, it looks like that spinning back elbow was actually pretty close.
JoshGrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 PM #212
BodyCount81
Jerrah

BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
The elbow kind of reminds of me Faber missing and getting TKO'd against Mike Brown. Although, Faber is probably more capable of landing one.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:11 AM #213
Marko34256

Marko34256 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Marko34256 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Anderson has been doing the "vasoline rubbing" for a while now. It's not like it did anything for him in this fight though considering how the first round went.

As for the knee, he threw it with a ton of power, the way Chael was holding his arms, it would've got his head a lot more if it was actually aimed for the head.

The shorts thing is the only shady thing in the fight in my opinion. People get away with ball shots, eye pokes and grabbing the cage all the time though. I wouldn't mind if they enforced this stuff more, but at the worst, they could've taken a point and reset the fight standing--it's not like Silva was going to win a decision here anyways
Old 07-11-2012, 10:56 AM #214
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81 View Post
I don't think Rashad would have a chance. I feel that it would end before or during the 2nd round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit Beeyer View Post
Agreed Bodycount. I think most people underrate just how good Chael is.
So a guy who went the distance with Jon Jones and completely dominated Phil Davis with his wrestling has no chance with Silva? Rashad has a better 1-hit knock-out power than Chael, a very robust wrestling game and is a very smart fighter. I don't think Chael can beat Rashad and I am not a Rashad fan at all. I think people underrate him and I honestly think he is the only real challenge for Silva at the weight class.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:13 AM #215
BlitzPA9

BlitzPA9 is a founding member
Welp there's a #1 contender. Weidman can submit Silva. He's like Chael only with better takedowns and submissions. If that fight happens Anderson is in trouble. Or maybe its fixed and I'm just caught up in the hype

Last edited by BlitzPA9 : 07-12-2012 at 01:16 AM.
BlitzPA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:16 AM #216
]TSS[ Dake
Insight and Hilarity

my god, damn near killed him

Bats make the world a better place. To find out how and sponsor them, click here.
]TSS[ Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 AM #217
BodyCount81
Jerrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
So a guy who went the distance with Jon Jones and completely dominated Phil Davis with his wrestling has no chance with Silva? Rashad has a better 1-hit knock-out power than Chael, a very robust wrestling game and is a very smart fighter. I don't think Chael can beat Rashad and I am not a Rashad fan at all. I think people underrate him and I honestly think he is the only real challenge for Silva at the weight class.
Rashad has also gone the distance with a few others that weren't that great. I think people overrate him. He's not that good imo. I think Rashad would be knocked out by the 2nd.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:07 AM #218
justintriprh

justintriprh has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
justintriprh has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Rashad Evans will lose if he fights Silva. Jones would win no doubt in my mind. Jones picks up some thing from silva, the whole hands down bob and weave. Jones' striking is too diverse for Silva. Jones also has a better combo of wrestling mixed in with what looks like Judo, and the reach too. All he needs to do is step in jab step out. Jones will be Silva 2.0. He's already dominated the best of the division. The only way I see Henderson winning is if he gets the tko or ko in the first or second round. His gas tank has low mileage.
justintriprh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:09 AM #219
justintriprh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPA9
Welp there's a #1 contender. Weidman can submit Silva. He's like Chael only with better takedowns and submissions. If that fight happens Anderson is in trouble. Or maybe its fixed and I'm just caught up in the hype
Weidman doesn't have better takedowns than Chael you're on something lol. I hadn't even heard of Weidman until last night. No one in MW is as good as Chael. Chael could run through the division because there isn't any real talent in it.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 AM #220
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by justintriprh View Post
The only way I see Henderson winning is if he gets the tko or ko in the first or second round. His gas tank has low mileage.
I agree with this part.

And that .gif is .

Jon Jones is great, but as we've learned in MMA it only takes 1 punch. Hendo's KO of Fedor really shows that anything can happen with that type of power. Honestly, short of something like the Sera KO of GSP I don't really see Bones losing soon. Silva, on the other hand, I think that the right wrestler dropping a weight class has very strong potential of beating him. Rashad has FAR more potential at the moment than Munoz or Bisping.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 AM #221
justintriprh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty

I agree with this part.

And that .gif is .

Jon Jones is great, but as we've learned in MMA it only takes 1 punch. Hendo's KO of Fedor really shows that anything can happen with that type of power. Honestly, short of something like the Sera KO of GSP I don't really see Bones losing soon. Silva, on the other hand, I think that the right wrestler dropping a weight class has very strong potential of beating him. Rashad has FAR more potential at the moment than Munoz or Bisping.
Not many strikers can strike with Silva, the only reason Sonnen uses it was to get close. Silva doesn't have the best TDD. So really all we need is a decent striker with good GNP. And as of Jones Machida showed his chin isn't the greatest so a power hitter like Hendo can knock him out but idk if Hendo will be able to get in the pocket.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:01 PM #222
BlitzPA9

BlitzPA9 is a founding member
Quote:
Weidman doesn't have better takedowns than Chael you're on something lol. I hadn't even heard of Weidman until last night. No one in MW is as good as Chael. Chael could run through the division because there isn't any real talent in it.
Chael is a *****. Wouldn't be surprised if he follows Brock to the WWE. He's an actor...

I've known about Weidman since he lost to Andre Galvao at ADCC. Weidman is just an all around better version of Chael. The difference is Weidman embraces wrestling + BJJ where Chael didn't for a long time.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...Chris-Weidman/

And how many spectacular knockouts does Chael have again?
BlitzPA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:08 PM #223
blueshifty

Quote:
Not many strikers can strike with Silva, the only reason Sonnen uses it was to get close. Silva doesn't have the best TDD. So really all we need is a decent striker with good GNP. And as of Jones Machida showed his chin isn't the greatest so a power hitter like Hendo can knock him out but idk if Hendo will be able to get in the pocket.
Well, I certainly agree that Hendo getting in the pocket is going to be critical, but Jones has used that length extremely well in his past fights. Hendo has a jaw made of concrete and pretty good wrestling. The way I see it is that if Hendo wins it it'll be via TKO and if Jones wins it'll come by way of submission.

Back on Silva; Munoz definitely fits the wrestler/ ground and pound bill, but I don't see his stand-up being good enough to let him survive the early onslaught. He also just got mauled. Bisping... no, just no. Weidman maybe, but I seriously doubt the UFC will make it happen YET. No name recognition and his lackluster performance against Maia make it improbable to me. "Former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans vs Anderson 'The Spider' Silva" is much more marketable right now. All of this is still speculative that Rashad will even drop to middleweight.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 PM #224
BodyCount81
Jerrah

I would love for Evans/Silva to happen. He would get knocked out like the Machida fight.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:59 PM #225
justintriprh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPA9

Chael is a *****. Wouldn't be surprised if he follows Brock to the WWE. He's an actor...

I've known about Weidman since he lost to Andre Galvao at ADCC. Weidman is just an all around better version of Chael. The difference is Weidman embraces wrestling + BJJ where Chael didn't for a long time.

Yes Chael is definitely a *****. His wrestling is world class and his weakness was jiu jitsu big deal. After the training he had he will be right back up at the top. He man handled Stann and Stann was a contender.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:13 PM #226
BBp8ntballaLP508
☮♥♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]TSS[ Dake View Post
my god, damn near killed him
God damn, THAT is some horrible reffing right there. 17 shots before he called it? Ridiculous.
BBp8ntballaLP508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:39 PM #227
MarkParris
CK Mafia

MarkParris is a Supporting Member
MarkParris owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]TSS[ Dake View Post
For how much **** Sonnen is catching, does anyone think he ISN'T the #2 middleweight in the world?
Can't leave him at #2 after getting KO'd that quick. Division is weak though. Have to see how a few people do as they come into the UFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGrrrr View Post
Yep. I still think Chael is the better fighter over all.

Was anyone else pissed about how the fight went? Chael talked **** to hype the fight. If it weren't for his **** talk, he would have never gotten the fight. It worked. He made huge amounts of money for both him and Anderson. Anderson even knew that the **** talking was to hype the fight. Yet at the weigh ins, he shoulder checked him in the face. Chael took it with class. He rubbed vasoline on himself, he repeatedly grabbed Chaels shorts, and even used them to hold him in range and pull him into punches. Then, the knee. I honestly think he threw that knee at Chaels face and it only hit his chest because his arms deflected it. Even after all of that, Chael was classy and respectful after the fight. I think Anderson was being a dirty *****. Chaels **** talk benefited everyone. Andersons crap benefited only Anderson. It was all so blatant. The don't give a **** attitude annoys the piss out of me. I had tons of respect for him before this fight. Now, he's just a cocky thug IMO. He's worse than Chael ever was.
LOL, are you forgetting what this is? THIS IS A FIGHT. It's not a bjj match, its not kick boxing, its not boxing, its not wrestling. It's a fight. MMA is the sport of fighting. Who ****ing cares if he would have kneed him in the face? Good let him. They should let people punch the back of the head as well.

inb4 you say its unhealthy. If you are worried about health risks, you shouldn't be stepping in there anyway.

Also, other fighters do the vaseline thing as well. ie: gsp. Saying Sonnen is overall better you crazy man. I can't believe this is coming from someone who actually trains. Made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPA9 View Post
LOL, you are wild if you think Weidman has better takedowns than Chael. Also, he may have better submissions, but that doesn't mean he will submit Anderson. Anderson is an extremely high level blackbelt, he got tapped a few times and fixed those holes in his game.

Quote:
Rashad Evans will lose if he fights Silva. Jones would win no doubt in my mind. Jones picks up some thing from silva, the whole hands down bob and weave. Jones' striking is too diverse for Silva. Jones also has a better combo of wrestling mixed in with what looks like Judo, and the reach too. All he needs to do is step in jab step out. Jones will be Silva 2.0. He's already dominated the best of the division. The only way I see Henderson winning is if he gets the tko or ko in the first or second round. His gas tank has low mileage.
Jones wouldn't win because of skills, Jones would win because of size. His reach is too long for Anderson to compete with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPA9 View Post

The only reason you are calling him an actor is because he lost the fight. Chael is a one trick pony, and always has been. That doesn't take away from him that he is one of the best wrestlers in the UFC. Thats the first time in a long time that I can remember Chael being stopped due to strikes.

People seem to be avoiding the fact that in round 2, Anderson avoided the take down multiple times.

Anyway, off that subject, Roy Nelson vs Shane Carwin is stupid. Easy win for Carwin.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM #228
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkParris View Post
Anyway, off that subject, Roy Nelson vs Shane Carwin is stupid. Easy win for Carwin.
And who next for each? Winner gets title shot? Loser gets whom?

I don't see it being a complete derailment, but I also don't see them giving Nelson the shot even if he does win.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:51 PM #229
justintriprh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkParris
Can't leave him at #2 after getting KO'd that quick. Division is weak though. Have to see how a few people do as they come into the UFC.

LOL, are you forgetting what this is? THIS IS A FIGHT. It's not a bjj match, its not kick boxing, its not boxing, its not wrestling. It's a fight. MMA is the sport of fighting. Who ****ing cares if he would have kneed him in the face? Good let him. They should let people punch the back of the head as well.

inb4 you say its unhealthy. If you are worried about health risks, you shouldn't be stepping in there anyway.

Also, other fighters do the vaseline thing as well. ie: gsp. Saying Sonnen is overall better you crazy man. I can't believe this is coming from someone who actually trains. Made me laugh.

LOL, you are wild if you think Weidman has better takedowns than Chael. Also, he may have better submissions, but that doesn't mean he will submit Anderson. Anderson is an extremely high level blackbelt, he got tapped a few times and fixed those holes in his game.

Jones wouldn't win because of skills, Jones would win because of size. His reach is too long for Anderson to compete with him.

The only reason you are calling him an actor is because he lost the fight. Chael is a one trick pony, and always has been. That doesn't take away from him that he is one of the best wrestlers in the UFC. Thats the first time in a long time that I can remember Chael being stopped due to strikes.

People seem to be avoiding the fact that in round 2, Anderson avoided the take down multiple times.

And you're stupid. It was seen by everyone that takedown he went for was stopped by a grab to the shorts. And if sonnen layer in him the first round why would he have stopped if he got it the second time. Sure a lose is a lose but Silva came in trying to play dirty. But I won't complain because Dan Henderson is my favorite fightet
Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 PM #230
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkParris View Post
LOL, are you forgetting what this is? THIS IS A FIGHT. It's not a bjj match, its not kick boxing, its not boxing, its not wrestling. It's a fight. MMA is the sport of fighting. Who <del>****</del>ing cares if he would have kneed him in the face? Good let him. They should let people punch the back of the head as well.

Are you forgetting there are RULES? Rules are there for a reason. I agree, they should allow all of those things, but they don't. Since they don't, it's ****ty to break the rules in such a "don't give a ****" way.

I don't care bout the health risks. It's not about that.

I know other fighters do the vaseline thing, but other fighters didn't fight the biggest fight in MMA history the day before I typed that so I wasn't talking about them. I was talking about Anderson vs. Chael. Yes, I think Chael is a better all around fighter than Anderson, even though I train. Chael lacks BJJ, but Chaels BJJ is better than Anderson's wrestling. Both have their weaknesses. I think Chael has less.
JoshGrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 PM #231
Marko34256

Marko34256 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Marko34256 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The Vaseline served no benefit. I don't know how you can possibly say Chael is the better fighter when he's 0-2 against silva with one of those losses being a fight where he got caught with a T/E ratio of 16.9:1 (which, you guessed it, is against the rules).